Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Bans/Suspensions handed out by Local FA's

Recently a player I know was sent off for spitting - he's been given a 7 game ban.

Alcarz - the Wigan centre half has been caught on video spitting at Wolves Richard Stearman....but is only looking at a 3 game ban.

Why the big difference?

It seems quite often that suspensions handed out by local FA's to amateur are always a lot longer than those handed out to proffesionals. Anyone know why?

They expect us to play by the same rules when it comes to appeals for red card - insisting on video evidence, like any non-league club has the money to have cameramen filming the games. So why do we not serve the same punishments?

Before any one (like Rhodes) starts to insinuate that I am advocating spitting etc - I'm not. I'm simply questioning the difference in length of suspensions.

Recently a player I know was sent off for spitting - he's been given a 7 game ban.

Alcarz - the Wigan centre half has been caught on video spitting at Wolves Richard Stearman....but is only looking at a 3 game ban.

Why the big difference?

It seems quite often that suspensions handed out by local FA's to amateur are always a lot longer than those handed out to proffesionals. Anyone know why?

They expect us to play by the same rules when it comes to appeals for red card - insisting on video evidence, like any non-league club has the money to have cameramen filming the games. So why do we not serve the same punishments?

Before any one (like Rhodes) starts to insinuate that I am advocating spitting etc - I'm not. I'm simply questioning the difference in length of suspensions.

I too have noticed this and have asked my mate at the FA for clarification.

It still bugs me that taking your shirt off celebrating a goal earns the same punishment as a possible injury inducing bad tackle....

I can honestly say I've never taken my shirt as part of a goal celebration... couple of reasons why ;-)

On the subject of spitting I think it should land the biggest punishment, probably one of the only things that would get me to punch someone during a game.. although still might save a nice two footer from behind. I actually let an oppo player land a few extra punches on a team mate of mine that had spat at him.

On the subject of spitting I think it should land the biggest punishment

Is spitting really as bad as you're making it out to be, don't get me wrong as it's not pleasant to see, for example, a Frank Rijkaard on Rudy Voller or, for those with longer memories, a Paddy Crerand on Tony Allen in the 60's but what about tackles such as Roy Keane's on Alfie Haaland, Harold Schumacher on Patrick Battiston or Paul Gascoigne on Garry Parker, isn't that a far worse 'crime'.

Agree with the comments about spitting, and as you say NF it's probably the only thing that would get me to punch someone on the pitch should they do it to me.

However, if the ban is 135 days, 7 games, or whatever at non-league level....why isn't it the same at the top level?

They need to make rules etc... Applicable and standard top to bottom in the game. We had a massive ruck with London Colney at their place (we all piled into their changing room) years ago over a spitting incident. Can't abide spitting I'd rather someone took a swing at me

Can't abide spitting I'd rather someone took a swing at me

Winslow Boy - Like I said, is it really the be all and end all which warrants a longer suspension than a crippling tackle

Can't abide spitting I'd rather someone took a swing at me

Winslow Boy - Like I said, is it really the be all and end all which warrants a longer suspension than a crippling tackle

not the same thing Rhodes, spitting and lamping someone are similar offences but spitting is cowardly and highly disrespectful and a crippling tackle can be a fair challenge with very unfortunate outcome......Dave Buust anyone??

Why the big difference?

I too have noticed this and have asked my mate at the FA for clarification.

This from the FA;

Two different regulations, for grassroots its 6 matches and professional game is 3 matches.

Seems strange that grassroots and professional have different "sentences". Almost makes it more acceptable to do infront of 30,000 fans (plus hundreds of thousands more on the tele).

Another gaff from the FA HQ imo - that and the demand for video evidence in red card appeals at grassroots level. Idiotic, but then I have come to expect this from an organisation run by people who know nothing about the game. Very similar, but not as bad, as FIFA.

<p>My Dad just reminded me of a spitting incident he was involved in back in the day V Buckingham Town (I thought it was against Wycombe) Centre forward spat at him, so he waited till no one was watching and floored him, their gaffer obviously went mental but when he told him what happened he said fair enough I'd have done the same. I think we all hold that type of behaviour in total contempt. Is there any explanation as to why the sentences differ at the different levels? What would happen if a non-league player and a Prem player were in an incident in an FA Cup game would they be given different bans for the same offence??</p>

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

<p>

It still bugs me that taking your shirt off celebrating a goal earns the same punishment as a possible injury inducing bad tackle....
</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I think it should be down to how horrific the physique is underneath!</p>

I'm 100% positive that if you punched a player off the ball now and none of the officials saw it they would still send you off for it.

I got booked this season because someone else called the ref a "prick" whilst his back was turned to us. He assumed it was me so booked me. I asked him if he was 100% certain is was me because he couldn't have known as his back was to us - he said he was...obviously a lie.

<p>

</p>

<p>I'm 100% positive that if you punched a player off the ball now and none of the officials saw it they would still send you off for it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I got booked this season because someone else called the ref a "prick" whilst his back was turned to us. He assumed it was me so booked me. I asked him if he was 100% certain is was me because he couldn't have known as his back was to us - he said he was...obviously a lie.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That has happened to us the ref took a players word and he was lying.....however I've seen us suffer a number of off the ball incidents that have gone totally unpunished. How he can book you without witnessing you say it is absurd, did the other player admit it just to prove a point to him? I always tried to steer clear of calling the ref names, its a no win situation. I've had a few rows but would generally apologise pretty quickly, always best to try and keep a ref onside with friendly banter.</p>

<p>
</p>

<p>I'm 100% positive that if you punched a player off the ball now and none of the officials saw it they would still send you off for it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I got booked this season because someone else called the ref a &quot;prick&quot; whilst his back was turned to us. He assumed it was me so booked me. I asked him if he was 100% certain is was me because he couldn't have known as his back was to us - he said he was...obviously a lie.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That has happened to us the ref took a players word and he was lying.....however I've seen us suffer a number of off the ball incidents that have gone totally unpunished. How he can book you without witnessing you say it is absurd, did the other player admit it just to prove a point to him? I always tried to steer clear of calling the ref names, its a no win situation. I've had a few rows but would generally apologise pretty quickly, always best to try and keep a ref onside with friendly banter.</p>

Player admitted saying the word "prick" but said he was saying to one of their players not the ref. Ref wasn't interested and still insisted it was me.

I'll have a whinge up at ref's but I am really not the type to call them names.