Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Liverpool's Luis Suarez handed an 8 match ban

RalphC

Liverpool's Luis Suarez has been handed an eight-match ban and a £40,000 fine by the Football Association after being found guilty of racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra.

The Uruguay striker, 24, clashed with the France defender during the 1-1 draw at Anfield on 15 October.

An independent regulatory commission announced on Tuesday that Evra's allegations against Suarez were proven.

Suarez, who denied the allegations, has 14 days to appeal against the decision.

Liverpool and manager Kenny Dalglish had backed their player throughout the case.

Bit of a strange one, I cannot think of one single white man or woman that are offended if we are called whitey, chalky, whinging pom, white honkey, or any other piece of verbal banter or insult that mentions the colour of our skin, or our country of birth.

I would prefer to live in a world where a person is not considered to be inferior, or superior because of the colour of their skin, or where they come from, everyone has the same life opportunities, and name calling is not deemed as terrible as the PC brigade has made it become, and a sense of humour returns to our lives.

The ban will be reduced dramatically on appeal, Liverpool have some of the best lawyers in the World on-side

what message would that send out to footballers / supporters?

Yes but is Suarez actually guilty as charged, I don't believe he speaks any English so how can he have racially abused Patrice Evra.

what message would that send out to footballers / supporters?

Yes but is Suarez actually guilty as charged, I don't believe he speaks any English so how can he have racially abused Patrice Evra.

But many people know phrases and swear words in a foreign language - it does not indicate that you are fluent in that language.

Mind you if a player does not understand the basic command of the language how can a referee warn them if required?

Hope it doesn't get reduced either

RalphC - Why though

Missunderstood - Alan Hansen's recent comment where he 'mistakenly' called black players coloured said it all for me, Hansen clearly didn't mean anything untoward by it hence his apology, "I unreservedly apologise for any offence caused, this was never my intention and I deeply regret the use of the word", but has been unfairly crucified for it.

Huge difference Cliff between a slip of the tongue with "coloured" and a clear, intended, insult. I remember Hansen saying that. It was clearly not meant at all disrespectfully, just lapsed back to a word which was "ok" a few years back. Whereas Suarez (allegedly) fully intended to insult Evra.

Still think it's wrong to give an 8 match ban though, when compared to a 3 match ban for a red card foul!

Missunderstood - Alan Hansen's recent comment where he 'mistakenly' called black players coloured said it all for me, Hansen clearly didn't mean anything untoward by it hence his apology, "I unreservedly apologise for any offence caused, this was never my intention and I deeply regret the use of the word", but has been unfairly crucified for it.

I felt embarrassed for Alan Hansen when he had to make an apology. IMO the politically correct brigade have found an issue they use to make themselves feel good about their own lives, but in fact have made the situation worse because a sense of humour and workplace banter has now almost become a criminal offence.

I am very fortunate to have a lovely Asian daughter in law, and the colour of her skin has, and will never be an issue. Its not whats on the outside that counts, but the type of person you are which is important, and I just believe the PC brigade have made colour and race the only thing that is relevant.

Edited by missunderstood

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I made Luis Suarez spot on today for not shaking Patrice Evra's hand at Old Trafford, why should he after being wrongly accused of racism and having to serve an eight match ban