Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Do you remember them?

Here is one for you KB what season did your and our reserves finish 1st and 2nd both gaining promotion having drawn all games against eachother including the challenge cup final which you won after replay two nil both goals scored by Mickey Fredricks(?) who later played for Stevenage in Vauxhall conference. Also have ward about some very bad blood between our two sides in the past lol

OD - I had forgotten Toddington Rovers, they should have appeared on my original list.

Of course they played in red and white stripes didn't they. Drive past where they used to play a few weeks ago. They had a good side

Black and white stripes.

Did they're away kit have red in it then? I can remember the stripes for sure.

You have got me on that one. Will have to ask our 1st team manager, he played for them.

Soz all but my Slap Head chairman has got it wrong again. I didnt play (forever injured) so managed the stiffs. But this all ended in tears when the committee sacked me when I chucked a first team player in the Angel pub pond, just because I caught him out after he humped my X misses....made me feel good at the time,still does to be fair, but I thought the committee were a bit OTT! :wub: :)

OD - I had forgotten Toddington Rovers, they should have appeared on my original list.

Of course they played in red and white stripes didn't they. Drive past where they used to play a few weeks ago. They had a good side

Black and white stripes.

You have got me on that one. Will have to ask our 1st team manager, he played for them.

Soz all but my Slap Head chairman has got it wrong again. I didnt play (forever injured) so managed the stiffs. But this all ended in tears when the committee sacked me when I chucked a first team player in the Angel pub pond, just because I caught him out after he humped my X misses....made me feel good at the time,still does to be fair, but I thought the committee were a bit OTT! :wub: :)

Sounds like he got off lightly. He should have taken his medicine like a man, you plough another mans field don't cry when he comes looking for you. What happened with Toddington? Why'd they fold?

Black and white stripes.

Sounds like he got off lightly. He should have taken his medicine like a man, you plough another mans field don't cry when he comes looking for you. What happened with Toddington? Why'd they fold?

Finances and lack of their own pitch suitable for South Midlands Prem. They ended up ground sharing for a season with Barton and realised this was not a long term solution and it was also not financially viable. Losing their highly successful reserve team mananger was probably a contributing factor also :D .

On a side note, John Alder (St Joes Sunday manager for 30 years?) who has just passed away bless him, ventured away from Sunday football for the first time in Toddingtons last season at Barton. He had a good number of his Sunday players playing for Tod (great side, Sandor,Huntley,Walker,Doyle, Mackie etc), but it wasn't a particularly successful time and the club folded. :(

Edited by smellynuts

Here is one for you KB what season did your and our reserves finish 1st and 2nd both gaining promotion having drawn all games against eachother including the challenge cup final which you won after replay two nil both goals scored by Mickey Fredricks(?) who later played for Stevenage in Vauxhall conference. Also have ward about some very bad blood between our two sides in the past lol

1986-87 season, either the second leg of the final or the replay took place on Monday 4th May 1987 at Winslow with a 5.30 kick off as in the morning our first teams met at Herns Lane with an 11.00am kick off with the first team game finishing in a win for Winslow 2-1.

I believe I still have the programme for the reserve team cup final back at my parent’s house in Hertfordshire.

As to Mick Fredericks, I cannot recall him playing for Stevenage, the only players from Welwyn Garden City that I can recall playing at Stevenage were Garry Simpson, Vic St Ange and Stephen Flain.

Black and white stripes.

Finances and lack of their own pitch suitable for South Midlands Prem. They ended up ground sharing for a season with Barton and realised this was not a long term solution and it was also not financially viable. Losing their highly successful reserve team mananger was probably a contributing factor also :D .

On a side note, John Alder (St Joes Sunday manager for 30 years?) who has just passed away bless him, ventured away from Sunday football for the first time in Toddingtons last season at Barton. He had a good number of his Sunday players playing for Tod (great side, Sandor,Huntley,Walker,Doyle, Mackie etc), but it wasn't a particularly successful time forand the club folded. :(

My dad reckons that Sandor also played for 61 and Vauxhall motors and was lightning quick and at Vauxhall motors with a guy called Revel on opposite wing who was fast as f/ck too although he adds they weren't fast when they were limping. Good after match grub in the Angel

Edited by Winslow Boy

Black and white stripes.

On a side note, John Alder (St Joes Sunday manager for 30 years?) who has just passed away bless him, ventured away from Sunday football for the first time in Toddingtons last season at Barton. He had a good number of his Sunday players playing for Tod (great side, Sandor,Huntley,Walker,Doyle, Mackie etc), but it wasn't a particularly successful time forand the club folded. :(

My dad reckons that Sandor also played for 61 and Vauxhall motors and was lightning quick and at Vauxhall motors with a guy called Revel on opposite wing who was fast as f/ck too although he adds they weren't fast when they were limping. Good after match grub in the Angel

Sandor was not lighting but just a great footballer, where are Revel on the other hand wasnt gifted with talent but was kin quick. Beer wernt all that but the grub and the banter down the Angel was the best. Happy days.

I remember good food at the Angel and a few post match games of pool as well.

Before that were the refreshments were at a social or working mans club as there was only a tea room / window at the ground & no bar or clubhouse?

• 8 years later...
14 hours ago, Enfield Til It Died said:

I think you've just outdone Rhodes in re-opening a thread after 8 years!

Enfield Til It Died - I actually thought of you as soon as PetetheGreek posted that, why do you hate the re-opening of old threads so much. I didn't know that PetetheGreek was a player back in the day, I'm quite surprised

On 16/09/2020 at 21:00, petethegreek said:

image.thumb.png.a012b6fb54b449e29239daef3a0582ab.png

A blast from the past.

Got sent this today.

Who won?

8 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Enfield Til It Died - I actually thought of you as soon as PetetheGreek posted that, why do you hate the re-opening of old threads so much. I didn't know that PetetheGreek was a player back in the day, I'm quite surprised

That's not actually me but I do know him.

5 hours ago, Savagebee said:

Who won?

I think we (Omonia) won.