Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Do you remember them?

London Spartan League.

Tables can be found here;

http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/nonleaguetables/ltindex.html

I used to follow Omonia back in the day. :)

Great link Pete I know quite a few lads who'll like to have a look at some of those league tables

London Spartan League.

http://www.nonleague...es/ltindex.html

Great link Pete I know quite a few lads who'll like to have a look at some of those league tables

Researched my Club's history a while ago and found this info.

We actually did quite well in the London Spartan League.

From 1945/46

Spartan League - Central Division ^

P W L D F A Pts

1.Metropolitan Police 18 17 0 1 89 23 35

2.Pinner 18 14 2 2 76 29 30

3.Wood Green Town 18 12 4 2 80 37 26

4.Ford Sports 18 10 6 2 64 38 22

5.Harrow Town 18 10 7 1 51 40 21

6.Hoddesdon Town 18 6 9 3 54 62 15

7.Briggs Sports 18 7 11 0 42 74 14

8.Ware 18 4 13 1 44 72 9

9.Lyons Club 18 2 14 2 21 67 6

10.Hertford Town 18 1 17 0 28 107 2

Spartan League - Eastern Division ^

P W L D F A Pts

1.Cambridge Town 16 13 2 1 65 18 27

2.Vauxhall Motors 16 12 3 1 60 24 25

3.Letchworth Town 16 10 3 3 64 27 23

4.Welwyn Garden City 16 7 7 2 51 44 16

5.Saffron Walden 16 7 8 1 43 46 15

6.Luton Amateurs 16 4 7 5 35 44 13

7.Hatfield United 16 4 10 2 39 68 10

8.Stevenage Town 16 3 10 3 20 68 9

9.Bishop's Stortford 16 1 11 4 21 59 6

Spartan League - Western Division ^

P W L D F A Pts

1.Hounslow 18 12 5 1 61 23 25

2.Aylesbury United 18 11 6 1 70 47 23

3.Chesham United 18 9 5 4 55 39 22

4.Marlow 18 9 7 2 60 64 20

5.Leighton United 18 10 8 0 47 62 20

6.Polytechnic 18 7 6 5 44 37 19

7.Yiewsley 18 7 7 4 51 46 18

8.Berkhamsted 18 6 10 2 42 54 14

9.Henley Town 18 5 11 2 55 71 12

10.Apsley 18 2 13 3 32 74 7

Edited by petethegreek

London Spartan League.

http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/nonleaguetables/ltindex.html

I played in the St Margaretsbury side from 92-97, need to dig out my pic taken with the shield!

Trawling some old books now: Bagshawes (Dunstable), Bedford Avenue, Bedford Corinthians, Bedford North End, Biscot Church Lads Brigade, Biscot Sports, Britannia Works, Brooklands, Commer (Luton), Davis Athletic, Dunstable Vauxhall, Elstow Abbey, Flitwick Athletic, Flitwick Rovers, GIF Luton, Harlington Stars, Harrold United, Haynes, Henlow, Houghton Regis, if you want me to continue still another 30.

Henlow (One season in South Midlands Division One in 1983/84).

The following do appear in the Football Club History Database and as their records show not part of the South Midlands League:- Bedford Avenue (Corinthian League not South Midlands League), Bedford Corinthians (Not South Midlands League).

Not doubting any of the following clubs, obviously local sides in the Luton & Dunstable area however none appear in the Football Club History Database and therefore never part of the South Midlands League: -Bagshawes (Dunstable), Bedford North End, Biscot Church Lads Brigade, Biscot Sports, Britannia Works, Brooklands, Commer (Luton), Davis Athletic, Dunstable Vauxhall, Elstow Abbey, Flitwick Athletic, Flitwick Rovers, GIF Luton, Harlington Stars, Harrold United, Haynes, Houghton Regis.

Karen - All these clubs are stated in the official Bedfordshire FA Centenary handbook, so would think they are correct, as affilaited to the association. Plus many more and are "South Midlands" clubs before the merger. Throw in another Toddington Rovers (6 seasons)

Some really good teams in these list and facinating to read. I remember driving past Towcester Town's pitch every time I went to my Nan's house near Northampton when I was a little boy. It was railed off and to the left hand side of the road as you drove in from South with the race track on your left??? Can't really remember much esle apart from getting excitied to see a new ground...even when I was a 5 year old non-league was in my blood I think.

Biscot Church Lads Brigade - What a great name for a team??

MK has had so many teams I have lost count. The following may interest people that I wrote back in March 2010 - http://thecoldend.bl...-v-mk-city.html

Pete, I love the history of the London Spartan League...Some fantastic teams now unfortunately not about.... CROWN AND MANOR, WALTHAMSTOW TROJANS, SOUTHGATE ATHLETIC, EAST HAM UNITED, BROB BARNET etc.

Edited by thecoldend

Some really good teams in these list and facinating to read. I remember driving past Towcester Town's pitch every time I went to my Nan's house near Northampton when I was a little boy. It was railed off and to the left hand side of the road as you drove in from South with the race track on your left??? Can't really remember much esle apart from getting excitied to see a new ground...even when I was a 5 year old non-league was in my blood I think.

Biscot Church Lads Brigade - What a great name for a team??

MK has had so many teams I have lost count. The following may interest people that I wrote back in March 2010 - http://thecoldend.bl...-v-mk-city.html

Pete, I love the history of the London Spartan League...Some fantastic teams now unfortunately not about.... CROWN AND MANOR, WALTHAMSTOW TROJANS, SOUTHGATE ATHLETIC, EAST HAM UNITED, BROB BARNET etc.

From the Spartan League are Bridon Ropes still going. I know they came across when the 2 leagues merged.

OD - I had forgotten Toddington Rovers, they should have appeared on my original list.

Of course they played in red and white stripes didn't they. Drive past where they used to play a few weeks ago. They had a good side

Yes Shenley & Loughton, I forgot them however Welwyn Garden City never played them.

North Crawley United joined after the merger with the Spartan League playing one season in Division One in 2000-01 and the following season saw them in Division Two before folding and having their record expunged.

As for MK City I can't recall them and the name doesn't feature on the Football Club History database.

Yes my apologies for Barton Rovers they should have appeared in he second list and not the first having been promoted to the Isthmian League Division Two for the start of the 1979-80 season after winning the South Midlands League for the fifth successive season in 1978-79.

I played for Shenley the season Bedford Town won the league, played on some park in bedford with about 300 spectators. loosing 5-2 Quality. I also played for New Bradwell against Wingate and finchley on a park pitch and also the very first league match at there new ground, at the time.

pat

Throw in another Toddington Rovers (6 seasons)

Should have spotted that one - I made my Tring first team debut at Toddington in about 1993/4

i must have played against you then, either for shenley or New Bradwell. I think we pipped you to the league 1 title by 1 goal, cant remember what year.

i must have played against you then, either for shenley or New Bradwell. I think we pipped you to the league 1 title by 1 goal, cant remember what year.

That would have been the first season of the merger (1997-98)

Spartan South Midlands League South

1. New Bradwell St Peter - P 30 W 21 D 5 L 4 GF-GA 86-30 Pts 68

2. Tring Athletic - P 30 W 21 D 5 L 4 GF-GA 84-30 Pts 68

Yes Shenley & Loughton, I forgot them however Welwyn Garden City never played them.

North Crawley United joined after the merger with the Spartan League playing one season in Division One in 2000-01 and the following season saw them in Division Two before folding and having their record expunged.

As for MK City I can't recall them and the name doesn't feature on the Football Club History database.

Yes my apologies for Barton Rovers they should have appeared in he second list and not the first having been promoted to the Isthmian League Division Two for the start of the 1979-80 season after winning the South Midlands League for the fifth successive season in 1978-79.

I played for Shenley the season Bedford Town won the league, played on some park in bedford with about 300 spectators. loosing 5-2 Quality. I also played for New Bradwell against Wingate and finchley on a park pitch and also the very first league match at there new ground, at the time.

pat

Must have been there with Bernie McConnel??

That would have been the first season of the merger (1997-98)

Spartan South Midlands League South

1. New Bradwell St Peter - P 30 W 21 D 5 L 4 GF-GA 86-30 Pts 68

2. Tring Athletic - P 30 W 21 D 5 L 4 GF-GA 84-30 Pts 68

How about that, similar to What happened with Harefield and Big town int the prem a few years back. I Was 16 the season displayed above and having broke into 1st team year before this was my first full season with first team I think we finished mid table. I remember getting battered by Tring at their place.

Edited by Winslow Boy

Gone but not forgotten, some of the clubs that I can remember from my time involved in the South Midlands League prior to it becoming the Spartan South Midlands League for the 1997-98 season.

Abbey National (MK), AC Delco, Addmult, Ashcroft Co-Op, Aspley Guise, BAC, Baldock Town, Barton Rovers, Bedford United, Bletchley United, Brache Sparta, Bridger Packaging, Brooklands, Bow Brickhill, Buckingham United, Clifton Old Boys, De Havilland, Dunstable Old Boys, Dunstaable United, Eaton Bray United, Electrolux, Emberton, Flamstead, Houghton Town, Ickleford, Inter City, Knebworth, Leighton Athletic, Letchworth Garden City, Lucas Sports (also known as Rotax Sports), Luton Old Boys, Mercedes Benz, Milton Keynes Borough (also known as Milton Keynes), MK United, Mowlems, Old Dunstablians, Pirton, Potters Bar Crusaders, Sandy Albion, Scot, Selby, Shefford Town, Shillington, Towcester Town, Vauxhall Motors, Waddesdon, Walden Rangers, Waterlows, Welwyn Garden United, Wiltonians and Wolverton AFC (also known as MK Wolverton Town),

The following clubs have progressed to higher leagues having gained promotion from the South Midlands League.

Arlesey Town, Bedford Town, Biggleswade Town, Leighton Town, Oxford City, Potters Bar Town, Thame United and Wingate & Finchley.

Played against or watched the vast majority of them. Great list containing some top top sides who would give anyone today a run for their money. Some $hite ones in there too! Vauxhall Motors in there I knew they had a side and a bloody one. Am I right in thinking North Crawley (MK) had a side for a few seasons? MK City, Shenley and Loughton missing from list. Does anyone out there claim a full house with those teams? inclusive having watched, played for, played against

I remember Bernie McConnell when he was with Milton Keynes, he topped the scoring charts with 31 goals in 1994/95.

However a more prolific marksman I can recall was Steve Drewe who was leading goalscorer in the South Midlands League on no less than four occasions between 1985 and 1992. Topping the charts in 1985/86 (jointly with R. Vale of Langford) with 16 goals for Milton Keynes Borough, the following year he was leading marksman with 19 goals again with Milton Keynes Borough. In 1990/91 he scored an impressive 51 goals for Wolverton AFC and in 1991/92 he was again leading goalscorer with 47 goals for Milton Keynes Borough. I also recall he had a brother called Dave.