Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Do you remember them?

Gone but not forgotten, some of the clubs that I can remember from my time involved in the South Midlands League prior to it becoming the Spartan South Midlands League for the 1997-98 season.

Abbey National (MK), AC Delco, Addmult, Ashcroft Co-Op, Aspley Guise, BAC, Baldock Town, Barton Rovers, Bedford United, Bletchley United, Brache Sparta, Bridger Packaging, Brooklands, Bow Brickhill, Buckingham United, Clifton Old Boys, De Havilland, Dunstable Old Boys, Dunstaable United, Eaton Bray United, Electrolux, Emberton, Flamstead, Houghton Town, Ickleford, Inter City, Knebworth, Leighton Athletic, Letchworth Garden City, Lucas Sports (also known as Rotax Sports), Luton Old Boys, Mercedes Benz, Milton Keynes Borough (also known as Milton Keynes), MK United, Mowlems, Old Dunstablians, Pirton, Potters Bar Crusaders, Sandy Albion, Scot, Selby, Shefford Town, Shillington, Towcester Town, Vauxhall Motors, Waddesdon, Walden Rangers, Waterlows, Welwyn Garden United, Wiltonians and Wolverton AFC (also known as MK Wolverton Town),

The following clubs have progressed to higher leagues having gained promotion from the South Midlands League.

Arlesey Town, Bedford Town, Biggleswade Town, Leighton Town, Oxford City, Potters Bar Town, Thame United and Wingate & Finchley.

Gone but not forgotten, some of the clubs that I can remember from my time involved in the South Midlands League prior to it becoming the Spartan South Midlands League for the 1997-98 season.

Abbey National (MK), AC Delco, Addmult, Ashcroft Co-Op, Aspley Guise, BAC, Baldock Town, Barton Rovers, Bedford United, Bletchley United, Brache Sparta, Bridger Packaging, Brooklands, Bow Brickhill, Buckingham United, Clifton Old Boys, De Havilland, Dunstable Old Boys, Dunstaable United, Eaton Bray United, Electrolux, Emberton, Flamstead, Houghton Town, Ickleford, Inter City, Knebworth, Leighton Athletic, Letchworth Garden City, Lucas Sports (also known as Rotax Sports), Luton Old Boys, Mercedes Benz, Milton Keynes Borough (also known as Milton Keynes), MK United, Mowlems, Old Dunstablians, Pirton, Potters Bar Crusaders, Sandy Albion, Scot, Selby, Shefford Town, Shillington, Towcester Town, Vauxhall Motors, Waddesdon, Walden Rangers, Waterlows, Welwyn Garden United, Wiltonians and Wolverton AFC (also known as MK Wolverton Town),

The following clubs have progressed to higher leagues having gained promotion from the South Midlands League.

Arlesey Town, Bedford Town, Biggleswade Town, Leighton Town, Oxford City, Potters Bar Town, Thame United and Wingate & Finchley.

Played against the vast majority of them. Great list containing some top top sides who would give anyone today a run for their money. Some $hite ones in there too! Vauxhall Motors in there I knew they had a side and a bloody one. Am I right in thinking North Crawley (MK) had a side for a few seasons? MK City, Shenley and Loughton missing from list. Does anyone out there claim a full house with those teams? inclusive having watched, played for, played against

Edited by Winslow Boy

Barton Rovers still going strong in evostik central, Bedford FC are are a continuation of Bedford Utd & Old Dunstablians are AFC Dunstable.

Yes Shenley & Loughton, I forgot them however Welwyn Garden City never played them.

North Crawley United joined after the merger with the Spartan League playing one season in Division One in 2000-01 and the following season saw them in Division Two before folding and having their record expunged.

As for MK City I can't recall them and the name doesn't feature on the Football Club History database.

Yes my apologies for Barton Rovers they should have appeared in he second list and not the first having been promoted to the Isthmian League Division Two for the start of the 1979-80 season after winning the South Midlands League for the fifth successive season in 1978-79.

Played against the vast majority of them. Great list containing some top top sides who would give anyone today a run for their money. Some $hite ones in there too! Vauxhall Motors in there I knew they had a side and a bloody one. Am I right in thinking North Crawley (MK) had a side for a few seasons? MK City, Shenley and Loughton missing from list. Does anyone out there claim a full house with those teams? inclusive having watched, played for, played against

Not a full house from me but 18 from the top list either played against or watched, the first 6 promoted club plus MK City (didn't they play at Bletchley Town's ground?) and Shenley & Loughton.

Was there a Loughton Orient in SSML Div 2 at one point?

Yes you were a Premier Division club when I first became involved.

With Milton Keynes City as you can see their days came after the South Midlands League had merged with the Spartan League.

Not a full house from me but 18 from the top list either played against or watched, the first 6 promoted club plus MK City (didn't they play at Bletchley Town's ground?) and Shenley & Loughton.

Was there a Loughton Orient in SSML Div 2 at one point?

MK borough played at Manor fields where Bletchley now play. MK city played at Wolvertons old ground, great ground near station.

Milcutt Rovers who groundshared with Barton Rovers. Dunstable Old Boys and Dunstable United are Dunstable Town under a different guise, as could not be called DTFC due to bankruptcy, hence coming back as Dunstable Town 1998 to get around it.

Yes you were a Premier Division club when I first became involved.

With Milton Keynes City as you can see their days came after the South Midlands League had merged with the Spartan League.

Ah yes of course

Feel like a broken record now but all plastic mods and Rhodes lovers. There has been plenty of footy talk and your silence is deafening. So don't bother popping in now and again to pass judgement like you're in a position to in fact shove it up you're ar$e. Also please note Rhodes' absence from sensible discussion.......

Edited by Winslow Boy

Milcutt Rovers who groundshared with Barton Rovers. Dunstable Old Boys and Dunstable United are Dunstable Town under a different guise, as could not be called DTFC due to bankruptcy, hence coming back as Dunstable Town 1998 to get around it.

Scored a brace of bench against Milcutt having been put on the bench which was a joke.....I have let it go and am not bitter

Scored a brace of bench against Milcutt having been put on the bench which was a joke.....I have let it go and am not bitter

Trawling some old books now: Bagshawes (Dunstable), Bedford Avenue, Bedford Corinthians, Bedford North End, Biscot Church Lads Brigade, Biscot Sports, Britannia Works, Brooklands, Commer (Luton), Davis Athletic, Dunstable Vauxhall, Elstow Abbey, Flitwick Athletic, Flitwick Rovers, GIF Luton, Harlington Stars, Harrold United, Haynes, Henlow, Houghton Regis, if you want me to continue still another 30.

Bloody hell not sure I recognise any of those? What else you got? Reckon a few of our ex players might know some. Love all this historical stuff. Hopefully people will start posting clubs honours, memorable games with teams gone and record league attendances. Lot of Winslow old programmes on eBay I have bought quite a few and there always seems to be some on there I'm sure that's the case for a lot of teams

Bloody hell not sure I recognise any of those? What else you got? Reckon a few of our ex players might know some. Love all this historical stuff. Hopefully people will start posting clubs honours, memorable games with teams gone and record league attendances. Lot of Winslow old programmes on eBay I have bought quite a few and there always seems to be some on there I'm sure that's the case for a lot of teams

A lot of them between the 1930's to 1950,s. Want some more, Leighton Marley (1934-35), Luton Clarence (22-23) one of the founders of the league, Luton Gas Works (38-39), Marston Shelton Rovers (46-73), RAF Cardington (37-48), SKF (Luton) (47-77), Stewartby (34-58), Queens Works Bedford (46-64), Luton Town reserves (46-58), Dunstable Athletic (30-37)

Trawling some old books now: Bagshawes (Dunstable), Bedford Avenue, Bedford Corinthians, Bedford North End, Biscot Church Lads Brigade, Biscot Sports, Britannia Works, Brooklands, Commer (Luton), Davis Athletic, Dunstable Vauxhall, Elstow Abbey, Flitwick Athletic, Flitwick Rovers, GIF Luton, Harlington Stars, Harrold United, Haynes, Henlow, Houghton Regis, if you want me to continue still another 30.

Henlow (One season in South Midlands Division One in 1983/84).

The following do appear in the Football Club History Database and as their records show not part of the South Midlands League:- Bedford Avenue (Corinthian League not South Midlands League), Bedford Corinthians (Not South Midlands League).

Not doubting any of the following clubs, obviously local sides in the Luton & Dunstable area however none appear in the Football Club History Database and therefore never part of the South Midlands League: -Bagshawes (Dunstable), Bedford North End, Biscot Church Lads Brigade, Biscot Sports, Britannia Works, Brooklands, Commer (Luton), Davis Athletic, Dunstable Vauxhall, Elstow Abbey, Flitwick Athletic, Flitwick Rovers, GIF Luton, Harlington Stars, Harrold United, Haynes, Houghton Regis.

Just to clarify my initial post. I am referring to the South Midlands League prior to its merger to the Spartan League.

The South Midlands League was an English football league covering Bedfordshire and some adjoining counties. The league was formed in 1922 as the Bedfordshire County League, changed its name to the Bedfordshire & District County League in 1924 before adopting the South Midlands League title in 1929. The league merged with the Spartan League to form the Spartan South Midlands League in 1997.

Edited by Karen Browne