Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

GRAYS 2 HORNCHURCH 1

Dagger03

GRAYS 2 HORNCHURCH 1

Grays have moved to Rush Green, previous home of Ford Utd, and the pitch was in excellent condition, as was the rest of the ground.

Hornchurch dominated the first half and the home side were rarely in the match as an attacking force.

Hornchurch had the first clear cut chance in the tenth minute when Joe Woolley pumped a long clearance upfield, and Martin Tuohy ran in from the right to chip the ball over Lamar Johnson, only for the ball to swerve wide of the post.

Hornchurch pressed strongly, and Sam Cutler shot past the post when the ball was returned to him after a corner.

It was Woolley who again opened up the defence with another long kick upfield. Lewis Smith quickly weaved his way through and his shot rebounded off the inside of the post and back again to Smith, whose follow up shot skimmed the other post.

When Frankie Curley made ground along the left wing, he slotted the ball back inside to Tuohy, whose first time shot rose too high and over the bar.

Grays had a rare opportunity when the ball was played in from the left, but the cross cum shot when across the goalmouth and out of play.

Hornchurch could have taken the lead at the end of the half, when Curley again made ground on the left and completely opened up the defence before gliding the ball to Cutler, in front of goal, only for Cutler to direct his shot straight at Johnson, who did well to hold on to the ball on the goal line.

Hornchurch continued to move forward after the interval and took the lead when a Cutler cross was handled, and MARTIN TUOHY slotted the penalty neatly into the net.

Six minutes later Grays drew level after Joe Anderson had broken up a move on the right and had played the ball upfield. After what seemed like an age, the linesman slowly raised his flag and signaled a penalty. The referee came over, and after a lengthy discussion, almost reluctantly awarded the penalty, which was hotly disputed. JACK WEST stepped up to level the score.

Johnson then made a fine save from a well hit Curley shot, whilst a Lewis Smith run ended with the ball sailing high over.

Grays scored what was the prove the winning goal when JOAO CARLOS found himself unmarked 40 yards from goal, and promptly fired the ball home in spectacular fashion, with Joe Woolley not moving as the ball curled inside the near post.

Michael Spencer came on along with Jon Hunt and Hornchurch again took control, but play was temporarily halted by an incident involving Jake Hall. Referee Graham Monk sensibly allowed Hall, along with Reiss Noel, to be substituted, unlike at Maidstone where red cards were waved.

The home defence was opened up in a move which started with Fola Orilonishe on the left, who crossed to an inspired Michael Spencer, who in turn raced through the defence and slid the ball across to Lewis Smith, only for the ball to be missed by everyone and run out of play.

There is one more pre-season match remaining, at home to Enfield Town on Tuesday.

Usually I would say no based on results.

Didn't see todays game but heard we missed some guilt edged chances.

Forty yard goals worry me though,as do goals like maidstones last week when a player cuts in from the right unchallenged and bends it in while everyone just stands there.

he had no right to set his self and shot! deference stood still and well joe just watched it when i feel it was savable! we are doing the Arsenal way and trying to walk it in when all we needed was to shot. their keeper was very bad but we did not test him and when we had a shot from outside the box he fumbled it!

I thought although Michael did not play long he looked very good going forward and maybe was the best player out there who tried his best! happy to see him back and hope he stays !

Great to see michael back today - whether he's signed on or not I don't know. He looked dangerous when he did come on. As for the performance we did look like we were trying to walk it into the net on occasions. I think we need to decide on a game plan -i am convinced that we have decent players in most positions.

All we need is a midfield.

Why doesn't Sir Alex realise that?!

We have been playing a lot of open attacking football this pre-season, which has resulted in us conceding more goals than we should be. Scoring only a penalty in this game is poor, though we did create the chances to get the goals. By now we really should have been finding the net several times from open play. Lets hope we do this against Enfield Town this week.

On the face of it our friendly results haven't looked great .. we've played 3 sides who are playing 2 levels below us and 2 sides playing 1 level below and yet have managed only 1 victory, scoring 5 goals from those games, 2 of which were from the penalty spot.

But friendlies are a means of trialling new players, experimenting with player positions/formations and improving fitness and we've looked better each game (barring Dagenham). I don't think the starting 11 against Grays will differ that much from the 11 that start at Salisbury (depending on when Frankie's suspension starts). Whilst we did score just the 1 against Grays we did create a hatful of chances which bodes well.

Nice if can perform against Enfield and convert those chances.

These days' ideal player is six foot tall, black and from Cote d'Ivoire.

Not five foot six, white and a Mancunian [****!!****]

All we need is a midfield. Why doesn't Sir Alex realise that?!

Should you not be worried about Tevez and Man City?

I am and we won today!

I think a good season lies ahead.

We've hardly made a tackle of any note yet, but that'll change when we start against Salisbury.

We need Frankie to curb his Temper/Frustration and let Ref's make the decisions.

And delete crap comments from the Seal (Send him back to the Zoo)

Archived