Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Midweek Fixtures - 9th/10th October

Tuesday 9th October

PREMIER DIVISION

3-2 Colney Heath v Hertford Town

A report on this one from another Forum, I wonder who HTFCew wanted to win:

South Mids Premier at The Recreation Ground.

Colney Heath (Black and White Stripes/Black) 3-2 Hertford Town (Royal Blue/Royal Blue)

Att 48, Admission 6 quid prog included (basic). Tea 70p.

Thoroughly enjoyable game played on a cool but still evening on a good surface.

Suprisingly easy journey around the M25, allowed time for a quick pint at the GBG listed 'Crooked Billet' 2/300 yards from the ground down the high street.

The first half was pretty even, but CH were more clinical in front of goal. Keeper Knight made a short goal kick, and defender was tackled, easy finish for Aaron Clarke on 29 mins, 1-0. On 44 mins further good approach work (Charlie Moxom looked useful), and the ball fell at feet of Kyle Powell in the area and he tucked it away nicely into the bottom right corner, 2-0.

Hertford attacked with pace, with Larry Asare-Bediako in particular looking quick, but the end product was poor. They are managed by player manager Marvin Samuels (ex Pro?), who played at centre back in the first half.

In the second half Samuels went upfront, and his ability, first touch etc, stood out. He created an opening in the 63d minute for Billy Healey to score, 2-1.

Four minutes later Clarke (again) converted with a neat header from a left wing free kick, 3-1.

Hertford continued to push, and dominated large parts of the second half, but it wasn't until 90+ 2 that Samuels squezed one in at the far post. 3-2 ft.

Hard to believe both these teams are in the lower half of the table, I will expect both to make progress up the league as the season continues.

Goodly number of Hertford people at the game, thanks to Hertford secretary or web man, who allowed me to scribble down the the lineups from his team sheets.

Tuesday 9th October

DIVISION ONE

1-3 Langford v Codicote

A report from another Forum:

Spartan South Midlands League Division 1

7.45pm

Langford 1 Codicote 3

Attendance:35

Entry: £5

Programme: Free with Entry

Nearby pub recommendations: The Engineers Arms

Food: Tea bar in club selling burgers.

Chinese in Langford – not the best

Fish and chips down the road a bit in Henlow is, I’m told, quite good but for either Chinese food or Fish and chips I highly recommend the Golden Well in Lower Stondon a few miles south.

In my quest to complete all grounds in Bedfordshire, this came as a welcome partial completion in that I have now done all present step 6 and above grounds. Some may find Langford a bit bland and indeed, it is very basic with its walled pitch and small but functional stands on one side, but the clubhouse has a nice homely feel to it, and the ground is enclosed by tall trees which always lend an air of pleasantness to the proceedings.

On arrival, there is a decent sized car park and the old chap taking the money at the kiosk was the type who you would imagine has been there since just after the war. The programme was free with the £5 entry fee and is of a standard effort with the usual teams, tables, fixtures, “word from our chairman” and adverts. The clubhouse was of the large room with chairs and tables around the perimeter and small bar variety. Nothing interesting beer wise but the tea bar is inside here as well and was staffed by some cheerful ladies who dispensed some very welcome mugs of tea in “Langford FC” mugs available for £3.50. (The mugs not the tea, that was 70p).

Burgers were £2 and adequate. As the game started we circled the pitch and took our seats in front of Alastair, another local hopper who was updating us with the Luton score on his earphones.

The game was quite entertaining, and Jimmyjazz informed me that Codicote had quite a few “names” in the team. As the game went on, this became apparent as Codicote carved out a win.

Post match food was from the Beijing Dragon in Langford which I don’t really recommend. As mentioned above, if you want either a Chinese or Fish and Chips I highly recommend the Golden Well in Lower Stondon a few miles south for Chinese and their fish and chips are my favourite in Bedfordshire.

For Real Ale, look no further than the Engineers Arms a mile down the road in Henlow with its 25 different ales every week! I’m sure many beer hunters of this parish are already aware of this paradise.

Home by 11 and still have the prawn crackers to get through.

31mins Played.

AFC Dunstable 0 Hanwell Town 2.

Edited by Savagebee

HT.

R.Pither, D.Kisuule.

Edited by Savagebee

HT.

R.Pither, D.Kisuule.

Hearing its the best 45mins we have played this season.

:D

Edited by Savagebee

Hearing its the best 45mins we have played this season.

:D

AFC Dunstable 3 Hanwell Town 2

Could the second 45 minutes be classed as the poorest

Edited by Karen Browne

AFC Dunstable 3 Hanwell Town 2

Could the second 45 minutes be classed as the poorest

It does look like it :shakehead:

Im hearing we are still having chances to score.

Also i hear AFC Dunstables B.Christie keeps throwing himself to the floor :angry:

Wednesday 10th October

PREMIER DIVISION

3-2 AFC Dunstable v Hanwell Town

SOUTH MIDLANDS FLOODLIT CUP (SENIOR SECTION) First Round

0-3 AFC Biggleswade v Broxbourne Borough

How does football get people to this point where they are shouting abuse to a disabled lad?

I heard about this from 3 or 4 people on the night...

People should try engaging some brain cells before opening their mouth......

Sad times....

Monkeymonkey8 - I'm afraid I've experienced far worse than that in football. As you rightly say 'sad times' but it's a reflection of the society we sadly live in today isn't it and the loss of all the old fashioned values most of us on here grew up embracing and which shaped our lives, kids haven't got that now and have to fend for themselves from an early age, usually in one parent families.

It does look like it :shakehead:

Im hearing we are still having chances to score.

Also i hear AFC Dunstables B.Christie keeps throwing himself to the floor :angry:

Yes S.Bee, decent performance by your guys, your first goal gave you confidence and put your tails up and your first half performance was nothing other than I had expected. Indeed I let our players know in the team talk you are a decent side and like to play football at high pace and along the deck - not unlike ourselves I would claim. Our chat at halftime was not only about believing in our qualities and to have a right go, but to exploit an expected air of complacency from the Hanwell players. Maybe we got that right, and for the first 20 minutes of the second half you were chasing shadows.

As for the BJ comment, I would ask others to put themselves in his shoes, size 10 by the way. He is now an established and prolific scorer in the Prem, and in virtually every game this season he is being singled out for rough treatment by opposition players. Last night was no different, and whilst I will not deny he will exagerate the pain and probably go down easy, this in my eyes is totally understandable and at least alerts the officials to the fact that protection is needed when talented players are singled out. Rose tinted glasses you may think, but if you have a player of that ilk and you constantly seem them roughed up, then maybe you would begin to understand.

To end on a good note, in my opinion this was a great game of football and advert for South Midlands football. Both teams played open attacking football, at pace and along the deck. On this performance I think Hanwell can beat any other Prem team, and will end up in the top 8 no problem. I would be interested to hear comment from anyone who was at the game.

Final comment. Your physio is fit by the way ! :rolleyes:

Monkeymonkey8 - I'm afraid I've experienced far worse than that in football. As you rightly say 'sad times' but it's a reflection of the society we sadly live in today isn't it and the loss of all the old fashioned values most of us on here grew up embracing and which shaped our lives, kids haven't got that now and have to fend for themselves from an early age, usually in one parent families.

You always refer to bygone years and "the society today", yet There was plenty to reflect on the society in previous years such as open and accepted racism at football. It was only in the 90's the Spastic Society changed its name to Scope, yet you would not condone using that term now. Unfortunately there will always be some cretin who thinks this behaviour is acceptable.

Rhodes, on 11 October 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

Rhodes, I blame your idol Thatcher's children and legacy. The "I'm alright", "what's in it for me", spiteful society she created. Before the evil one appeared people use to have respect for each other and look after the disadvantaged. In fact, you have a lot in common with her wouldnt you say?. :saythat: