Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ian Tomlinson

Compensation culture at it's best.

Edited by Ian H

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23573327

so a p1ssed,unemployed father of 7 goes out of his way to wind up the Police during a riot and his family hit the jackpot with a lovely bit of compo from the taxpayer-British justice at its best !!

Pisshead or not, I personally wouldn't wish to live in a police state where the police can  attack innocent members of the public. 

The Policeman who pushed him was hardly an angel - he totally failed in his duty and one wonders if he should even have been allowed to represent the Metropolitan Police.

Officials have a duty of care to the public, whether they like them or not.  You've only got to look at the recent case of the Merseyrail Guard convicted of manslaughter.

If a Policeman/Policewoman is being attacked, then yes they have the right to self defence.

However, excessive force isn't allowed, whether we agree on it or not.

Society may be composed of some morons, yet the law still says that those morons have rights.  At least we are still in somewhat of a democracy- in some countries you'd be shot for daring to oppose the police.

Edited by The Mayor Of Simpleton

Thank God for Video evidence,but why did it take 4 years for an Apology to be made by the Met.

yeah you're right the Met should have made a full apology immediately for one of their officiers giving a slight push to a alcoholic with 9 children who had never made any contribution whatsoever to society.

What about brutality against the police??

True, but then the police are often guilty of using excessive force or stopping and searching people for no good reason.

excessive force?? the copper gave him a push,thats the least someone deserves for trying to wind up the Police during a riot.

Stick and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.

There is never any excuse for laying a hand on another person even if being wound up.

That is assault plain and simple.

Of course what we often see is cover-ups.

Another former officer was this week in court over an alleged rape during an investigation. These cases are not all one-offs!

Fortunately the Met seem to hold itself to a higher standard and have graciously declined to continue employing the thug - Ex PC Simon Harwood who most of society would have relied upon to protect the vulnerable instead of pushing them over in a hissy fit. 

RIP Ian Tomlinson.

Edited by Loose

are the Police there now to protect the vulnerable? I thought their job was to uphold law and order,then again you are probably right they are just another branch of the social services. go back to the 70s/80s and i'm sure there were some right racist,nasty asshole coppers I would imagine most of them of hopefully have left the force.was the copper involved a angel? probably not but for fck sake Ian Tomlinson was a alcoholic idiot who decided to wind the police up during a riot,the bloke was a menace and his family doesn't deserve a penny.

I don't know as much about Ian Tomlinson as you seem to but it appears he was merely a menace to himself. The police have always been there to protect society from other parts of society, it's not a new role however unfortunately one of those elements from those other parts of society had found his way into an organisation we all rely upon. The thug policeman had already previously been sacked from one force and wheedled his way somehow into another. I doubt that Ex-PC Harwood had any prior knowledge of the alcoholic soon to be dead menace Ian Tomlinson before he decided to forcefully push him to the ground and had no desire to. Not the sort of policeman any of us need the next time we get tanked up and the mouth loses it's sensible braking system.

As such it was a wrongful death and of course any family will seek compensation in these days, however it is entirely appropriate that the Met are punished for failing to weed out the thug during the recruitment process.

I don't know as much about Ian Tomlinson as you seem to but it appears he was merely a menace to himself. The police have always been there to protect society from other parts of society, it's not a new role however unfortunately one of those elements from those other parts of society had found his way into an organisation we all rely upon. The thug policeman had already previously been sacked from one force and wheedled his way somehow into another. I doubt that Ex-PC Harwood had any prior knowledge of the alcoholic soon to be dead menace Ian Tomlinson before he decided to forcefully push him to the ground and had no desire to. Not the sort of policeman any of us need the next time we get tanked up and the mouth loses it's sensible braking system.

As such it was a wrongful death and of course any family will seek compensation in these days, however it is entirely appropriate that the Met are punished for failing to weed out the thug during the recruitment process.

in my opinion any man who has 9 children and doesn't contribute a penny to the nation's economy is definitely a menace because of his actions that day the taxpayer has now had to pay out again giving his family some lovely 'compo',i have no sympathy for the copper but theres only one person to blame for all this and thats a pathetic alcoholic, how much he and hes family have cost the British economy I dread to think.

I entirely disagree that it was Ian Tomlinson's actions that led to the taxpayer paying out all that lovely "compo" but rather those actions of a thug wearing a uniform. Just a difference of opinion because the police have to deal fairly with ALL people regardless of the "state" they are in. I don't believe Ian Tomlinson's death was fair.

The 'slight push' didn't kill him, years of self inflicted alcohol abuse killed him,if you walk in front of policemen during a riot while you're intoxicated I feel that they  are at least entitled to give you a shove. i'm not in favour of police brutuality but lets remember what it was -a shove, nothing more.

He hit him with a baton and then pushed him to the ground, Tomlinson's death was a direct result of that shove causing internal bleeding. Apparently the Met didn't think Harwood's actions were justified and fortuntely for the thug his previous disciplinary record wasn't allowed to be put to the jury. The thug has gotten off lightly, unfortunately the ratepayers of London did not get off scot free.

Edited by Loose

The 'slight push' didn't kill him, years of self inflicted alcohol abuse killed him,if you walk in front of policemen during a riot while you're intoxicated I feel that they  are at least entitled to give you a shove. i'm not in favour of police brutuality but lets remember what it was -a shove, nothing more.

A shove is still illegal - quite simply you can't lay your hands on someone else, unless they are attacking you.