Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ashford Town MX 1-1 Rugby (now 4 unbeaten)

Tel

Can't comment, because I wasn't there but another point and against the top of the league.

Bottom hold top team

C'mon lads, it's never over until the final whistle.

The hardest fought, hardest earned point we've managed for a few seasons.

Rugby Town were easily the best team at our place so far this season. Very comfortable on the ball and with plenty of talent, especially forwards Greg Kazaboni and Seb Lake Gaskin. Although one or two of them aren't of the same high quality, e.g. calling a 'lino' $hit to his face and not even getting booked, you can see why "The Valley" are where they are in the table.

We seemed to be in awe of them at times early on and it was a shame that, for all Rugby's super play, their goal was a 28th corner kick from Nathan Haines which bobbled through a crowd of players and straight in. The thing was, though, Rugby were the toughest nut we've faced all season and we managed to crack them.

Whatever was said at the break worked big time. We gave them a bit of 'gertcha' and stopped Rugby from dominating as much and bearing down on our defence. They couldn't really handle a team getting at them and giving them some bulldog spirit football. Again, strange that our 51st minute equaliser - and what a great time to equalise, early doors in the half - came from a defensive lapse. Sorry if I announced our goalscorer wrong. Some people thought Scott had touched it home on the line, but the majority view was that Jack Mullan's shot had already gone over (seems I've made a few errors announcing goals and stuff - maybe it's best to give up after this season). 

Everyone gave their all, Some great saves from Tyler, never-say-die defending by our back four (Russ did well as a sweeper - it suited him), tenacious tackling in midfield, and didn't Rhys and Conor ruffle feathers up front? Superb effort from all the lads.

Yes, Rugby Town had more shots on goal. Yes, their silky football was scary at times. But, yes, our lads showed spirit, determination and skill which made a mockery of our league position and which got a deserved draw. We now have a settled team who dig in together and play for each other, and it's a pleasure to watch.

We've found ourselves facing the top five in our last six home games. I'd have thought that, if we could get five or six points against those top teams and pick the pace up against the lower placed sides, we can still get the 30 or so points we'd need to sneak into 20th place at the end. After watching the last three home games, I wouldn't bet against us managing it. We just have to keep going, face and overcome the obstacles, and believe.

Look out, Chertsey and North Greenford....we're coming to get you! 

A great result!

Ashford Town have defo turned the corner.

What a night !!! Yes Rugby looked decent but so did the boys, you need guts and this group have found it just at the right time. They now know how to grind out results and will not lie down, they have also shown its not about money.Take a good look Rugby and show respect when and wher its due ...yes you had the majority of chances but you eed to take them and i think you need to look at our keeper as he was emmense tonight and matched your strikers punch for punch. So spit out the sour grapes and all the besy for the resy of the season and dont forget you got lucky at your place.Well done Town we can and will do this money dosnt buy success ..passion is all you need .

Archived