Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Reserve division 1 - up in the air!

Hello all

I'm new to this forum and thought i'd join as there are some really good discussions on here!

Being involved with Risborough Rangers, i'm interested in what will happen with Stotfold Reserves pulling out of the league with only 6 games to play? Plus, on top of that, London Lions Reserves are pulling out of most of their fixtures without leaving the league (4 games so far this season and counting, almost as much as the 6 that Stotfold will have effectively forfeited had they not have pulled out).

So, with nothing to be decided on these issues by the league until MAY!!, it leaves the league table totally up in the air with teams unsure as to the situation they are in, including the top and bottom of the league.

Will it mean that all those teams who have had their games cancelled against London Lions, gain an easy 3 points? And all those teams that have played Stotfold and worked hard to gain 3 points will lose them?? We travelled for an 1 hour and 15 mins to get to our Stotfold game, with young players spending their own money on petrol, and gained 3 'well earned' points and now could lose them which would put us in a precarious position in the table. I'm sure other teams feel the same.

We call on youth players and work hard to field a reserve team every weekend, even if it's not as strong as it can be, and i feel slightly disappointed that London Lions, with their successful youth set-up, have not been able to field regular teams recently. I don't mean it to sound like an attack on them as I really like their club and have always felt very welcome there.

Anyway, 'slight' rant over. Any thoughts anyone?? Open debate....

Great post RR.

I thought if you have played over 70% of your games then your seasons results stand but I'm not 100% on that.

Rule book anyone?

Jonno?

Edited by Monkey8

Hi Monkey8, hope that's not the name your parents gave you! ;)

I just think it's so disruptive to the league if they take all the Stotfold points away, a total of 22 games! In my opinion, they should give the points from the last 6 Stotfold games to the 6 teams they still have to play (and i'm not denying that we're one of them!). It would just seem fair and particularly as they will be doing this for the teams that had their games postponed against London Lions!

It's a difficult situation and one I wish didn't arise- takes away from achievements of some clubs just to have points expunged.

Although- simply awarding points is annoying too!

Also- great to have you on the forum! Hope you'll be a regular contributor?

You're right Neutral. It's a difficult situation!

I just wonder why Stotfold left the league at such a late stage when they could have just postponed their last 6 games like London Lions seem to be doing. Possibly saves them money by leaving the league as apposed to postponing all of them.

Also – enjoy a good debate so may be a regular!

St Margaretsbury Reserves will be champions if they win against Kings Langley next Wednesday or if Hoddesdon Town are defeated at The 61FC (Luton) on Saturday - if Hoddesdon Town win then St Margaretsbury must win for the title a draw would see Hoddesdon Town pinch it.

Reserve team football is hard to get commitment from płayers

Especially as one club on here is travelling over an hour.

What about re organising the res league onto east and

West or north and south sections and then having the top

2 in each league play off for an overall winner ! Just a thought more

Local games , saves on expenses

Reserve team football is hard to get commitment from płayers

Especially as one club on here is travelling over an hour.

What about re organising the res league onto east and

West or north and south sections and then having the top

2 in each league play off for an overall winner ! Just a thought more

Local games , saves on expenses

Its been discussed (at last season's AGM and the recent Divisional meetings) - the majority of clubs are against this.

Suprised clubs are against it- sounds like an excellent idea!

Maybe it shouldn't be seen as a bad thing that the reserves are leaving for different league, surely smaller leagues suit teams better!

Can you imagine if Kings Langley or 61 fail to field a side!?! Lol

It was requested by WGC at the AGM and rejected. The issue being is that the whole league gets to vote and less than half have reserves sides involved.

The main teams against were the ones in Res Division 1 and to some extent I can see their point as competition would generally fall.

Generally, I agreed with the proposal by WGCFC, which was based on the travelling costs and impact on a young group of players. The impact on us would be minimal as Reserve Div 2 is practically what our region would like anyway other than Wodson Park and maybe Langford.

It was requested by WGC at the AGM and rejected. The issue being is that the whole league gets to vote and less than half have reserves sides involved.

The main teams against were the ones in Res Division 1 and to some extent I can see their point as competition would generally fall.

Generally, I agreed with the proposal by WGCFC, which was based on the travelling costs and impact on a young group of players. The impact on us would be minimal as Reserve Div 2 is practically what our region would like anyway other than Wodson Park and maybe Langford.

It has been raised a few times over the years and when our reserves were still in the SSML we always voted against a regional split in the thought process that Div 1 should be a better standard than Div 2 therefore putting players in a better position to step up to first team football.

The down side to a smaller number of teams in a league means lots of free Saturdays. Of our West Herts sides the A team finished on 22nd March & the B team have a 1 month gap between games before they play their last one on 10th May !!

Karen - as the table currently stands, St Margaretsbury are 3pts clear of Hoddesdon so a draw will be enough for them to secure the title. Or are you making assumptions that St Margaresbury will be deducted 6pts and Hoddesdon 4pt from their results against Stotfold?

Things will be also be massively effected at the bottom of the table if this is the case as AFC Dunstable, Risborough and Kings Langley will all lose 3pts each while 61fc will presumably gain 3pts from London Lions 'no show' the other day?

I think teams need to know where they stand.

Also - I think regional reserve divisions would work well and keep players keen due to less travelling. An end of season play off situation between 4 teams, winner and runner up from both divisions, would really add to the excitement.

A request has been made for Mitoo to expunge the record of Stotfold Reserves. Should be done sometime tomorrow.

I was working it out after points adjustments had been made.

Great post RR.

I thought if you have played over 70% of your games then your seasons results stand but I'm not 100% on that.

Rule book anyone?

Jonno?

Don't drag me into this monkey. Maths ain't my strongpoint!

Karen - as the table currently stands, St Margaretsbury are 3pts clear of Hoddesdon so a draw will be enough for them to secure the title. Or are you making assumptions that St Margaresbury will be deducted 6pts and Hoddesdon 4pt from their results against Stotfold?

Things will be also be massively effected at the bottom of the table if this is the case as AFC Dunstable, Risborough and Kings Langley will all lose 3pts each while 61fc will presumably gain 3pts from London Lions 'no show' the other day?

Also - I think regional reserve divisions would work well and keep players keen due to less travelling. An end of season play off situation between 4 teams, winner and runner up from both divisions, would really add to the excitement.

Also we are waiting to see if we get the 3 points from London Lions no show a couple of weeks ago.

Play offs are a great idea in principal but it always seems the reserve divisions are the last to complete their fixtures, so would probabaly run out of time.

Karen, isn't your assessment a bit unfair to London Colney reserves? Can they still not have a say?