Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Reserve division 1 - up in the air!

How many weeks roughly are there in a season? 36??

If we had 3 reserve leagues of say 10 (I know there isn't exactly 30 teams yet). Prem, then 2 regional ones. It would be 18 fixtures per reserve team. You could then either change the reserve cup to a group based competition or even introduce divisional reserve trophies. This would increase the base games.

No midweek fixtures for reserve teams and also no bank holiday games. It allows the reserve league to start later as well if required.

Karen, isn't your assessment a bit unfair to London Colney reserves? Can they still not have a say?

If my rough calculations are correct they could match St Mag's current total by winning all their remaining games.

It does seem a little strange (in some cases, unfair) that if Side A withdraws from the League with six games to go, all of their previous (say twenty two) results are expunged, whereas if Side B does nor fulfil six fixtures, the points are awarded to those six opponents, with their other twenty two results remaining in place.

As far as I can see, the only difference is that Side A are unlikely to be playing in the League the following season, whereas Side B will.

I cannot think of a different solution - but is there one that suits all circumstances?

It all comes down to money - resigning from league often is the lesser of the two evils.

Non fulfilment of fixture is anything from £250 (minimum) and £1,000 (maximum) fine so several non-fulfilments could be a very costly exercise.

London Colney Reserves - having their say here!!

I personally think - that the team and points need to be removed. I would also like to personally see any team that doesn't fulfil for three fixtures also removed from the league with  points deducted from their first team should that happen.

In future would like to see more reserves games played in September, October and November, and no mid week games for teams without the correct facilities - if that means we have to be choosier who plays in the division so be it. Reserves players do not get paid, so if they have to take a lot of unpaid time of they cant do it, therefore giving the reserve team selection problems. Playing more games early on in the season means there will be more players available then, as the first team fixtures haven't started to back log up and players also haven't started to wander off to other clubs. If you need to add extra games cos the league is too small add a two legged cup competition.

Would also like to see a limit on first team players that can play for the reserves at any given time, i.e no more than three that have played for the first team in the last 4 games - I am personally fed up with going to sides where their first team have no fixture and seeing 7/8 first team players turning up - as it makes a mockery of the league.

Would also like to see three officials provided - I think most clubs pay for a linesman any way.

Rant Over - all in all though its been a good competitive season and the top 4/5 Reserves sides have put on some good high tempo and good quality games played in the right spirit.

It all comes down to money - resigning from league often is the lesser of the two evils.

Non fulfilment of fixture is anything from £250 (minimum) and £1,000 (maximum) fine so several non-fulfilments could be a very costly exercise.

I fully understand that.

However, it's the integrity of the League that is affected by results being expunged and/or points being awarded, dependant upon the route taken by the 'offending' club.

it shouldn't be down to the offending clubs - the league needs to take a much stronger stance against non fulfilling sides. 2 strikes and out - with penalties for their first team too. That way you only get teams that are serious entering. Some of these clubs should not be in the south midlands - they way they are run and their facilities - they should go to Senior County Football at best

The league should have just awarded the remaining games to Stotfold's opponents...instead they have gone the hard route and we now have this debate.

At the end of the day it is reserve team football but like LondonColres has stated we need to have a few rules put in place.

It has been a very good season for Reserve 1 with 4 teams in the running but this has turned it into a farce.

No doubt this debate will go on....

The league should have just awarded the remaining games to Stotfold's opponents

Playing Devils Advocate here:

To award games would not have been fair on the teams that failed to get maximum points from playing Stotfold earlier.

Also no guarantee that Stotfold would have lost all their remaining games.

So by removing all records against Stotfold would be the fairest option - ie no club has an advantage.

Monkey8 - you cant just award the points for the remaining fixtures - if I was in a relegation  fight and got relegated due to one of the teams around me being awarded 3 or 6 points without playing, I would be absolutely gutted.

Awarding the points will have a bigger influence on relegation this season than it will the title.

The bigger influence on the title is lesser teams fielding their first team against reverse sides, which I believe St.Margs have experienced although I think we have experience it more - we have had a least 7 games where opposing first team sides haven't had a game and fielded half a dozen or more in some games first team players. Whilst we have played well in those and its good to pit your wits against better players, it distorts the league.

1. A club does gain an advantage if a team does not fulfil hence why 2 strikes and they are out, - London Lions have not turned up for 5 matches  - meaning 5 teams have gained maximum points which they probably wouldn't have got. They should be removed from the league immediately - as they have made a mockery out of this division. I would like to add I have nothing against London Lions I have had many a good battling encounter with them - but what they are doing is ridiculous.

Monkey8 - you cant just award the points for the remaining fixtures - if I was in a relegation  fight and got relegated due to one of the teams around me being awarded 3 or 6 points without playing, I would be absolutely gutted.

Awarding the points will have a bigger influence on relegation this season than it will the title.

The bigger influence on the title is lesser teams fielding their first team against reverse sides, which I believe St.Margs have experienced although I think we have experience it more - we have had a least 7 games where opposing first team sides haven't had a game and fielded half a dozen or more in some games first team players. Whilst we have played well in those and its good to pit your wits against better players, it distorts the league.

Surely relegation isn't an issue this year with the actions of London Lions and Stotfold? 

Playing Devils Advocate here:

To award games would not have been fair on the teams that failed to get maximum points from playing Stotfold earlier.

Also no guarantee that Stotfold would have lost all their remaining games.

So by removing all records against Stotfold would be the fairest option - ie no club has an advantage.

1. A club does gain an advantage if a team does not fulfil hence why 2 strikes and they are out, - London Lions have not turned up for 5 matches  - meaning 5 teams have gained maximum points which they probably wouldn't have got. They should be removed from the league immediately - as they have made a mockery out of this division. I would like to add I have nothing against London Lions I have had many a good battling encounter with them - but what they are doing is ridiculous.

Hi all

I started this debate and it seems to have spread like wild fire! It obviously effects teams in various ways and it's not something that is just going to go away.

Karen – from our point of view, and with us in a relegation fight, we have played Stotfold once so far and I find it extremely hard to take that our hard fought '8-0' win away (our best performance of the season, and longest distance to travel), will be wiped off the record. We will now lose 3 points and slip into a bit of trouble. London Lions and 61FC both played Stotfold once each as well and both teams lost to them. How is this fair?? AFC Dunstable also gained 3 points against Stotfold and i'm sure they're not too happy with having their points taken away either.

Can Risborough take it that this is the leagues final decision or a rushed one based on pressure put on them to make a quick decision? It really doesn't seem fair and well thought through. 22 matches are a lot of games to be taken away.

On top of this, 61FC, AFC Dunstable and Kings Langley have all gained 3 points each due to their postponed games with London Lions! How is this NOT an advantage when we admittedly lost twice to them much earlier in the season when they were able to field a stronger team? The other three teams gain 3 points without even trying.

I totally agree with LondonColres (comments above), I just can't believe the league has put up with the behaviour of London Lions. The SSMFL (whatever level you play at) expect teams to follow various rules and act professionally but their actions have still not been dealt with in my opinion. Maybe the leagues just happy to pick up the fines money every time they cancel!

To me, the Stotfold situation and London Lions situation should be treated exactly the same as both teams have effectively forfeited roughly the same amount of games (and London Lions still have games to play, or NOT which may be the case). So if points are being awarded for the London Lions games, the same should be done for Stotfolds remaining 6.

London Lions and Stotfolds decisions to stay in the league vs. leave altogether has been purely financial and I think the league needs to seriously look at this.

Final point - if I were St Margaretsbury, I would be furious at losing 6 points and +7 goals. It now means that the three teams below them can catch them when London Colney lost to Stotfold in one of their games and Hoddesdon only drew in one of them.

Sorry for another rant, i'm not always like this but I know how hard all the Risborough Reserve players try every week and it seems they have been put at a huge disadvantage! Everyone thought the debate was over but it's one I can't leave alone just yet! ;)

Karen – from our point of view, and with us in a relegation fight, we have played Stotfold once so far and I find it extremely hard to take that our hard fought '8-0' win away (our best performance of the season, and longest distance to travel), will be wiped off the record. We will now lose 3 points and slip into a bit of trouble. London Lions and 61FC both played Stotfold once each as well and both teams lost to them. How is this fair?? 

It's fair simply that by having the record expunged then all other clubs have no record against the expunged club.

Agreed. A nice club but this is getting ridiculous.