Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

1 hour ago, 3spirit said:

Yes I understand that but as a football club, do clubs make much more money,with the extra costs involved,when promoted from National Premier to Division 3 of the Football League, or from National South to National Premier?

In Slough's case currently, I think National South seems a good fit but you could argue that if Slough were in the league below, they would be the big fish and most likely would be fighting it out at the top of the table. Whereas in National South we're still average in terms of the crowds we are getting, and as good as our team is we've had to curtail our ambitions because of the need to balance the books. Being shrewd in our player recruitment our joint managers have done very well but how long will this suffice, to match their ambitions to succeed higher?

National Premier level has to still be the aim for the club but to me it seems a step too far in this moment in time, and appears way off of happening. Woking FC is of course a benchmark, on what can be achieved but I liken our club more to Farnborough and Basingstoke!    

Slough Town FC's rightful place in the football pyramid is between Maidenhead United and Wycombe Wanderers. 

26 minutes ago, Shredding Green said:

Slough Town FC's rightful place in the football pyramid is between Maidenhead United and Wycombe Wanderers. 

We're obviously a smaller club than Wycombe Wanderers but if you're saying we're in between them and M'head do you think we're a bigger club than Maidenhead?

Edited by Reading Rebel

1 hour ago, Reading Rebel said:

We're obviously a smaller club than Wycombe Wanderers but if you're saying we're in between them and M'head do you think we're a bigger club than Maidenhead?

The first thirty years that I lived in this area were 1968-1998 and looking at the history of each club, it is only during those thirty years that Slough Town were definitely the more successful club and with larger gates.

Right now, our ground is more impressive but Maidenhead do own theirs and get larger gates.

As for media coverage, Slough Town are streets ahead despite being in the division below.

1 hour ago, Shredding Green said:

The first thirty years that I lived in this area were 1968-1998 and looking at the history of each club, it is only during those thirty years that Slough Town were definitely the more successful club and with larger gates.

Right now, our ground is more impressive but Maidenhead do own theirs and get larger gates.

As for media coverage, Slough Town are streets ahead despite being in the division below.

So in recent times Maidenhead have been the bigger club but historically possible Slough were.

On 06/03/2022 at 14:14, Shredding Green said:

Yesterday, U 'As failed to score for the first time in 23 matches.

Taunton Town are now five points behind U 'As with two matches in hand.

Next Saturday 12th March : Taunton Town v Hayes & Yeading United.

After last nights 2-1 win Taunton are now 2 points behind leaders U'As with a game in hand.

Saturday's game is looking even more interesting.

Dorking had their goalie sent off in the 3rd minute and played Alfie Rutherford  for the rest of the game who performed as if he was a goalie  Dorking won 2-1.

I notice that only 3 of the  7 teams in the playoff group won today

We don't improve in position but there's now a 5 point cushion before the team just below us 

16 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

All change at the top of the Southern Premier with 3 points separating the top 4 clubs.

I think it's anyone's guess who will come out on top. 

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/southern-football-league-premier-south-division/league-table

2nd April : Farnborough v Hayes & Yeading United (I'll either be there or at Meadowbank)

9th April : Metropolitan Police v Taunton Town

23rd April : Taunton Town v Farnborough (the last round of matches)