Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

22nd January 2022 Dorking Wanderers 5 Ebbsfleet United 1

Plenty to interest Rebels fans in this excellent 3 minutes 30 seconds post-match interview with Marc White :- 

A Matt Briggs hat-trick on 33, 60 and 66; a quick preview of Billericay Town (A) next Saturday and a record Meadowbank crowd of 2,142.

What astonishes me with only one Rebels home gate in four figures this season, is the number of our home crowd including myself who do not live within the 164,455 (mid-2019 estimate) population of Slough Borough.

1 hour ago, Shredding Green said:

22nd January 2022 Dorking Wanderers 5 Ebbsfleet United 1

Plenty to interest Rebels fans in this excellent 3 minutes 30 seconds post-match interview with Marc White :- 

A Matt Briggs hat-trick on 33, 60 and 66; a quick preview of Billericay Town (A) next Saturday and a record Meadowbank crowd of 2,142.

What astonishes me with only one Rebels home gate in four figures this season, is the number of our home crowd including myself who do not live within the 164,455 (mid-2019 estimate) population of Slough Borough.

A couple of things here Shredding.

Not sure how you know how many of our regular attendees live outside of Slough.

And if you are right it's probably a lot to do with demographics.

9 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

A couple of things here Shredding.

Not sure how you know how many of our regular attendees live outside of Slough.

And if you are right it's probably a lot to do with demographics.

I didn't specify what the number is.

But I regularly speak to spectators who come from Brighton, Cookham, Holyport, Milton Keynes, Penn, Reading, Windsor  and Wooton Bassett.

My friend Atma and his grandson come over from Hounslow; a former work colleague drove over from Bracknell to join me on the coach to York City where we met up with a former next door neighbour of mine who had driven all the way from Ross-on-Wye simply to see the match (and possibly the new stadium) and returned home at 9.30 pm.

Edited by Shredding Green

9 hours ago, Shredding Green said:

I didn't specify what the number is.

But I regularly speak to spectators who come from Brighton, Cookham, Holyport, Milton Keynes, Penn, Reading, Windsor  and Wooton Bassett.

My friend Atma and his grandson come over from Hounslow; a former work colleague drove over from Bracknell to join me on the coach to York City where we met up with a former next door neighbour of mine who had driven all the way from 
Ross-on-Wye simply to see the match (and possibly the new stadium) and returned home at 9.30 pm.

Of course there are a number who come from outside of the area but it has to be the vast minority surely.

A place like Dorking has a completely different demography than Slough.

5 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

Weymouth are now 9 points adrift in the relegation zone, I reckon they need a massive up turn in form to avoid the drop.

A visit to the coast awaits.

What is interesting is the North/South divide in the NL as it currently stands, with 11 of the 13 bottom clubs southerly based. Only Altrincham could genuinely be called " northern" It will be interesting where Dover, Weymouth and Kings Lynn are reallocated if it stays as is? 

Maidenhead with two excellent wins recently have a bit of breathing space now. Looks like we will have to wait for the local derby for another year at least.?

3 hours ago, bluerebel said:

What is interesting is the North/South divide in the NL as it currently stands, with 11 of the 13 bottom clubs southerly based. Only Altrincham could genuinely be called " northern" It will be interesting where Dover, Weymouth and Kings Lynn are reallocated if it stays as is? 

Maidenhead with two excellent wins recently have a bit of breathing space now. Looks like we will have to wait for the local derby for another year at least.?

Kings Lynn Town would go down to National League North.

Dover Athletic and Weymouth would go down to National League South in which the four most northerly clubs (in geographical order) are Oxford City, St Albans City, Chelmsford City and Hemel Hempstead Town. They would be the candidates liable to be transferred to National League North.

3 hours ago, bluerebel said:

Maidenhead were excellent against both Chesterfield & Halifax (saw both games), hard to see them being relegated when they have those sort of performances in their locker.

1 hour ago, Bernie Gogan said:

Maidenhead were excellent against both Chesterfield & Halifax (saw both games), hard to see them being relegated when they have those sort of performances in their locker.

Agree, the are very inconsistent but as you say Bernie they have those sort of performances in their locker which unfortunately will keep them up. 

1 hour ago, Reading Rebel said:

Agree, they are very inconsistent but as you say Bernie they have those sort of performances in their locker which unfortunately will keep them up. 

I watched the highlights of the away match to The Champions Elect : Stockport County 3 Maidenhead United 0.

The scoreline does not reflect another excellent Maidenhead performance in which they so nearly scored in the first half.

"The sides went into the break all square but the hosts made the breakthrough on 53 minutes when Antoni Sarcevic got on the end of a Macauley Southam-Hales cross and nodded home for the opener."

Edited by Shredding Green

On 27/01/2022 at 23:00, Shredding Green said:

Kings Lynn Town would go down to National League North.

Dover Athletic and Weymouth would go down to National League South in which the four most northerly clubs (in geographical order) are Oxford City, St Albans City, Chelmsford City and Hemel Hempstead Town. They would be the candidates liable to be transferred to National League North.

If I am correct Oxford City were in the North recently and then transferred to the South and were promised they would not be reallocated again for a few years. Hope it is not HH or St Albans they are my local derbies v/s Slough.

we shall have to wait and see and start the speculation again nearer the time

On 28/01/2022 at 01:45, Shredding Green said:

I watched the highlights of the away match to The Champions Elect : Stockport County 3 Maidenhead United 0.

The scoreline does not reflect another excellent Maidenhead performance in which they so nearly scored in the first half.

"The sides went into the break all square but the hosts made the breakthrough on 53 minutes when Antoni Sarcevic got on the end of a Macauley Southam-Hales cross and nodded home for the opener."

A fine away point for Maidenhead on 29th January against Wrexham before 8,759 at The Racecourse Ground.

Interesting game at Oxford City v Havant yesterday.

Oxford won 3-1 after trailing 1-0 with roughly 5 minutes left. Following the final whistle Havant manager Paul Doswell got into a heated argument with what sounded like some drunken Havant supporters who were furious at the way their side capitulated with a few minutes left.

Edited by Reading Rebel

5 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

Interesting game at Oxford City v Havant yesterday.

Oxford won 3-1 after trailing 1-0 with roughly 5 minutes left. Following the final whistle Havant manager Paul Doswell got into a heated argument with what sounded like some drunken Havant supporters who were furious at the way their side capitulated with a few minutes left.

Saw the clip on twitter. Seemed pretty a no win (pardon the pun) situation for Doswell. After the results they have had since the hammering at Dorking there was no way he was ever going to be able to reason with any of them. Bit of a flash point but I'm sure puts more pressure on the next game for Havant, a tough home game against St Albans.

29 minutes ago, SloughFlyer said:

Saw the clip on twitter. Seemed pretty a no win (pardon the pun) situation for Doswell. After the results they have had since the hammering at Dorking there was no way he was ever going to be able to reason with any of them. Bit of a flash point but I'm sure puts more pressure on the next game for Havant, a tough home game against St Albans.

Doswell just kept trying to justify why they've been having some poor results and quoting the things he's achieved which of course they just didn't want to listen to. 

There's the bit where he storms off which I just can't quite hear clearly but sounds like 'give me the money back I'm owed and I'll go'.

Edited by Reading Rebel