Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

12 hours ago, RebelVilla said:

Some of us are old enough to remember beating Bromley in 1990 with a late Neal Stanley goal to win the league and to gain promotion to the Conference League, as it was called back then. I believe that the result relegated Bromley that season, perhaps someone else could verify this point.

Call that old? I saw us win 5-1 at Hayes Lane in 1975 with a hat-trick from the indefatigable Terry Brown. They also visited Queen Street a few times in the early 2000's. I can't say I found their then officials particularly agreeable.

I was at Wembley yesterday. Quite remarkable progress over the course of a decade by Bromley. There were over 23000 at the game max 5000 from Solihull Moors. Assuming half that support might want to attend an EFL2 game on a regular basis, I can't imagine tickets being easy to come by! The away section might need a spruce up (putting it mildly), with it's current set up of a concentration camp. Nice picnic table though! 

Braintree Town, Marine, Salisbury City, Leamington and Enfield Town all won their play-offs today. So the constitution for Step 2 next season I think will look like this:

NLS:
Aveley
Bath City
Boreham Wood (relegated)
Chelmsford City
Chesham United (promoted)
Chippenham Town
Dorking Wanderers (relegated)
Eastbourne Borough
Enfield Town (promoted)
Farnborough
Hampton & Richmond Borough
Hemel Hempstead Town
Hornchurch (promoted)
Maidstone United
Salisbury City (promoted)
Slough Town
St. Albans City
Tonbridge Angels
Torquay United
Truro City
Welling United
Weston-Super-Mare
Weymouth
Worthing

NLN:
Alfreton Town
Brackley Town
Buxton
Chester
Chorley
Curzon Aston
Darlington
Farsley Celtic
Hereford
Kidderminster Harriers (relegated)
King's Lynn Town
Leamington (promoted)
Needham Market (promoted)
Marine (promoted)
Oxford City (relegated)
Peterborough Sports
Radcliffe (promoted)
Rushall Olympic
Scarborough Athletic
Scunthorpe United
Southport
South Shields
Spennymoor Town
Warrington Town

I did at one point think there might be a chance of St. Albans and Hemel Hempstead moving North, or of Chesham United being put there, but Kidderminster and Oxford went down and not Ebbsfleet, Woking or Wealdstone.

It looks like poor Needham Market will end up with 4-hour+ trips to Radcliffe, Marine and South Shields! Even Farsley and Hereford will be 3 1/2 hours. Thank goodness we've only got Truro, Torquay and Weymouth!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SloughFlyer said:

George Alexander becomes Eastbournes first signing of the summer.

Full time and obviously a lot more money. 

2nd season of being full time for Eastbourne, if they struggle and flirt with relegation again there's something seriously wrong.

Edited by Reading Rebel

5 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Alan Julian is the surprise choice as the new manager of Hampton.

Money has run out, brothers no where to be seen, just lost their 2 best players with more to follow. They won’t be the team of last season.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

Money has run out, brothers no where to be seen, just lost their 2 best players with more to follow. They won’t be the team of last season.

2 best players have gone to play in the NL so no surprise there.

If they're cutting their budget and shifting a few players I've always liked their left back Ruaridh Donaldson who'd be a decent signing for us.

I'll wait and see the quality of player Alan Julian brings in before giving my judgement on what sort of season they might have.

Edited by Reading Rebel

5 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

2 best players have gone to play in the NL so no surprise there.

If they're cutting their budget and shifting a few players I've always liked their left back Ruaridh Donaldson who'd be a decent signing for us.

I'll wait and see the quality of player Alan Julian brings in before giving my judgement on what sort of season they might have.

I think the fact they’ve appointed Alan and not an experienced ‘name’ manager shows they’re cutting their cloth accordingly. Yes we should be enquiring about some of their players although I suspect many others are too!

Big changes afoot for Torquay United. A consortium has taken over (subject to creditor approval), they've just poached manager Paul Wootton from Truro City and there are strong rumours that Neil Warnock will join the new board of directors as an advisor.

4 hours ago, Nathan said:

Big changes afoot for Torquay United. A consortium has taken over (subject to creditor approval), they've just poached manager Paul Wootton from Truro City and there are strong rumours that Neil Warnock will join the new board of directors as an advisor.

I think Warnock has now joined their board.

12 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Dorking have announced on their X and Facebook pages the arrival of 3 new signings this Thursday and Friday.

Could Dan Lincoln be one of them?

Presumably you would be happy with that since you didn’t think he would be available at the beginning or end of the season & you didn’t think he was 100% committed to football?

22 hours ago, Curtis said:

Presumably you would be happy with that since you didn’t think he would be available at the beginning or end of the season & you didn’t think he was 100% committed to football?

Very happy.

We need a keeper who is 100% committed to us for the season and going by what Scott said at the fans forum was confirmation that Dan couldn't provide that guarantee. 

Edited by Reading Rebel

14 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Very happy.

We need a keeper who is 100% committed to us for the season and going by what Scott said at the fans forum confirmed that Dan couldn't provide that guarantee. 

I’d be surprised if he re-joins Dorking as they’re fully focused on promotion and won’t want availability issues either. Unless they have a very good back up keeper then possibly…