Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

22 hours ago, Glover said:

I think you’ve got the wrong division there RR .It’s the Southern League Prem South. 

Talking of the Southern League Prem South,has any Slough fans been to see Beaconsfield this season with their new souper dooper pitch? They seem to be doing okay in the table.

I was wondering, as surely this could possibly aid Slough's recruitment policy again [when it needs to], given they now play on 3G/4G also.

1 hour ago, 3spirit said:

Talking of the Southern League Prem South,has any Slough fans been to see Beaconsfield this season with their new souper dooper pitch? They seem to be doing okay in the table.

I was wondering, as surely this could possibly aid Slough's recruitment policy again [when it needs to], given they now play on 3G/4G also.

We have seen Beaconsfield a few times this year.

They have a decent way of playing using the 3G passing out from the back etc. Bit of a mix of players some of a good standard and others not, which speaks to their current league position.

In general they look fairly good going forwards but abit open at the back, from memory we have seen a 4-2 loss, 2 2-2 draws and a 3-3 draw in the B+B Cup with an 8-7 pen shootout.

They do certainly develop youth/young players and I know we as a club have links with them as Nis and Sean have played for them this season. As for recruitment, they have a couple of players that look fairly good and would probably be worth a look.

Personally no but I know a few went to the B&B cup tie.

Not sure about the pitch helping us with recruitment.

Surely if your good enough you'll be scouted and have the chance to progress regardless of the type of pitch? 

23 hours ago, SloughFlyer said:

They have a decent way of playing using the 3G passing out from the back etc. Bit of a mix of players some of a good standard and others not, which speaks to their current league position.

In general they look fairly good going forwards but abit open at the back, from memory we have seen a 4-2 loss, 2 2-2 draws and a 3-3 draw in the B+B Cup with an 8-7 pen shootout.

They do certainly develop youth/young players and I know we as a club have links with them as Nis and Sean have played for them this season. As for recruitment, they have a couple of players that look fairly good and would probably be worth a look.

Thanks SloughFlyer for the reply. I must try and get along next season. This one has been a write off for me, in terms of watching football matches.

I always rated Toby Little and I see he plays for Beaconsfield. Is he their captain? He's probably knocking on a bit now but I expect he can still do a good job in that league.I'm surprised he hasn't been snapped up to play Conference South. He may be a little over the hill now though. I've not seen him play for two seasons so don't really know. He was good enough a few seasons ago.

I noticed Nathan Minhas has been scoring fairly regular for the Rams, or has it changed to Raiders?  I got confused last time I looked.Which is it?

I'm not looking to move Bakes and Unders out of Slough Town FC ! but Gary Meakin must be in with a good chance of managing Slough one day [if the manager job ever became vacant] given his experience at Burnham and his acumen at other non league clubs, I would have thought. At Beaconsfield I see him treading water and not overdoing his remit,as they don't seem to really compete with the top end clubs in their division, in terms of buying in quality players to go out and win the division but he always shrewd enough to keep them out of the relegation places, and upset a few fancied teams on the way. Currently mirroring what Slough are doing, albeit at a lower level,it seems to me.   

I was thinking that because they now play on an artificial pitch,too,that if Slough needed cover for injuries it may be a good way of finding a good loan or two,in the short term, from our nearby neighbours to bridge any gaps and would likely be a cheap way of doing it. It isn't unheard of bringing players from Beaconsfield FC to Slough Town FC but this time around players haven't got to go from Beaconsfield's boggy pitch to getting up to speed playing regular on 3G/4G. Surely this is a good thing for both clubs,given Nis and Sean have also been recently loaned there.

Edited by 3spirit

23 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

Personally no but I know a few went to the B&B cup tie.

Not sure about the pitch helping us with recruitment.

Surely if your good enough you'll be scouted and have the chance to progress regardless of the type of pitch? 

Not ignoring you,RR. See my reply to Slough Flyer.

Thanks SloughFlyer for the reply. I must try and get along next season. This one has been a write off for me, in terms of watching football matches.

I always rated Toby Little and I see he plays for Beaconsfield. Is he their captain? He's probably knocking on a bit now but I expect he can still do a good job in that league.I'm surprised he hasn't been snapped up to play Conference South. He may be a little over the hill now though. I've not seen him play for two seasons so don't really know. He was good enough a few seasons ago.

I noticed Nathan Minhas has been scoring fairly regular for the Rams, or has it changed to Raiders?  I got confused last time I looked.Which is it?

I'm not looking to move Bakes and Unders out of Slough Town FC ! but Gary Meakin must be in with a good chance of managing Slough one day [if the manager job ever became vacant] given his experience at Burnham and his acumen at other non league clubs, I would have thought. At Beaconsfield I see him treading water and not overdoing his remit,as they don't seem to really compete with the top end clubs in their division, in terms of buying in quality players to go out and win the division but he always shrewd enough to keep them out of the relegation places, and upset a few fancied teams on the way. Currently mirroring what Slough are doing, albeit at a lower level,it seems to me.   

I was thinking that because they now play on an artificial pitch,too,that if Slough needed cover for injuries it may be a good way of finding a good loan or two,in the short term, from our nearby neighbours to bridge any gaps and would likely be a cheap way of doing it. It isn't unheard of bringing players from Beaconsfield FC to Slough Town FC but this time around players haven't got to go from Beaconsfield's boggy pitch to getting up to speed playing regular on 3G/4G. Surely this is a good thing for both clubs,given Nis and Sean have also been recently loaned there.

Toby Little was a good servant for H+Y for years, a bit past it now and actually not started any of the games we saw (I don't think). Comes on as a sub for them now.

Nathan Minhas is 100% a player I'd be looking at as I think he is a very good forward, very strong and knows where the goal is. I know he started the season at Hampton but didn't seem to get a chance there, but I'd be pleased to see him given a chance in a Slough shirt.

They are still the Rams?.

2 hours ago, SloughFlyer said:

Toby Little was a good servant for H+Y for years, a bit past it now and actually not started any of the games we saw (I don't think). Comes on as a sub for them now.

Nathan Minhas is 100% a player I'd be looking at as I think he is a very good forward, very strong and knows where the goal is. I know he started the season at Hampton but didn't seem to get a chance there, but I'd be pleased to see him given a chance in a Slough shirt.

They are still the Rams?.

I might be wrong and could be getting him mixed up with someone else but didn't Nathan Minhas turn out in pre season for us a number of seasons ago when we were based at Beaconsfield?

Toby Little is 33 and spent a large part of his football career at Chesham and H&Y.

Certainly a good player when he played for Chesham.

As you say probably past his best now.

Edited by Reading Rebel

3 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

I might be wrong and could be getting him mixed up with someone else but didn't Nathan Minhas turn out in pre season for us a number of seasons ago when we were based at Beaconsfield?

Toby Little is 33 and spent a large part of his football career at Chesham and H&Y.

Certainly a good player when he played for Chesham.

As you say probably past his best now.

RR - he does have a brother, Aaron, who is older than him. Dont remember either one trialing with us but you may well be right.

On 21/02/2022 at 12:56, SloughFlyer said:

On 12th February, I saw Hayes & Yeading United scrape a 1-1 draw at home to Gosport Borough with an 89th minute equaliser. I said that Gosport Borough were the tallest team that I had ever seen. They looked in very good form ahead of the play-offs and an extremely difficult team to beat at this level. A fortnight later they lost 7-2 at Beaconsfield Town!!!

1 hour ago, Shredding Green said:

On 12th February, I saw Hayes & Yeading United scrape a 1-1 draw at home to Gosport Borough with an 89th minute equaliser. I said that Gosport Borough were the tallest team that I had ever seen. They looked in very good form ahead of the play-offs and an extremely difficult team to beat at this level. A fortnight later they lost 7-2 at Beaconsfield Town!!!

Funny old game ?

On 28/02/2022 at 21:36, Reading Rebel said:

Woking manager Alan Dowson has been sacked due to their run of poor results.

The Woking Chairman/Director has also resigned citing the way decisions are now being made at the club by their new investors.  

When you read the Woking forum, anyone would think Alan Dowson has committed murder, rather than lost his way on his tactics and player recruitment and team results !

It actually shows this forum to be quite tame. Woking as a club have always had lofty ambitions and it wouldn't surprise me to see a manager from the Football League next in the manager's position,as many of their fans are now saying Alan Dowson was out of his depth in the National Premier [hindsight] ! 

It got me thinking about Slough Town FC and our current managers,and the direction our club can take. I can't see Slough ever being able to match Woking,given the crowds we attract but I can see us getting in the National Premier in the future,at some point.

Our managers are ambitious to progress and if Woking hadn't have had 'non league's Alan Dowson' [not my quote,it's on Woking's Cardboard forum] I would have thought Bakes and Unders may have been considered for the role but reading the lofty notions of the Woking fans and their board's wishes, I can only see a high profile appointment for them next.

Can someone explain to me what is so breathtakingly appealing about taking a good non league club and changing it's ethos, to one which has to bankroll their club beyond their means to try and get in the Football League?

To me I don't see this unhealthy fixation with full time football and prefer the 'non-league game' but I know I'm in the minority. Am I missing something here?

2 hours ago, 3spirit said:

When you read the Woking forum, anyone would think Alan Dowson has committed murder, rather than lost his way on his tactics and player recruitment and team results !

It actually shows this forum to be quite tame. Woking as a club have always had lofty ambitions and it wouldn't surprise me to see a manager from the Football League next in the manager's position,as many of their fans are now saying Alan Dowson was out of his depth in the National Premier [hindsight] ! 

It got me thinking about Slough Town FC and our current managers,and the direction our club can take. I can't see Slough ever being able to match Woking,given the crowds we attract but I can see us getting in the National Premier in the future,at some point.

Our managers are ambitious to progress and if Woking hadn't have had 'non league's Alan Dowson' [not my quote,it's on Woking's Cardboard forum] I would have thought Bakes and Unders may have been considered for the role but reading the lofty notions of the Woking fans and their board's wishes, I can only see a high profile appointment for them next.

Can someone explain to me what is so breathtakingly appealing about taking a good non league club and changing it's ethos, to one which has to bankroll their club beyond their means to try and get in the Football League?

To me I don't see this unhealthy fixation with full time football and prefer the 'non-league game' but I know I'm in the minority. Am I missing something here?

Agree 3spirit we should stay stay a non league club.

Going to York and the disgaceful way they treat away supporters leave them behind the stand for 1. 1/2 hrs in the cold and no seating for people who require it . No mixing with away supporters drinking and chatting together just like we were treated 2 seasons ago by Maidstone. Clubs who think there the D@gs B#,ll@ks and to good to play in Non League Football. Not for me.

On 04/03/2022 at 12:46, 3spirit said:

I would say it's all about having the ambition to play and manage against big name clubs and getting paid to do something you love on a full time basis.

Edited by Reading Rebel