Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

The race for promotion into the NLS is hotting up.

U'As suffered a surprise 1-0 defeat at home to Walton Casuals but remain top for now.

Farnborough won 2-1 at Beaconsfield with ex rebel Paul Hodges on the score sheet. 

Chesham had an excellent 4-1 win at home to second placed Met Police with Zak Joseph and Bradley Clayton getting a brace each.

Taunton recorded an excellent 2-1 win away to Salisbury.

Beaconsfield were very unlucky yesterday. Took the lead with a good goal inside 2 minutes. Goalie made a howler for the equaliser and then Hodges pulled a worldie out from 25 yards on the stroke of half time. MoM for Farnborough easily Jack Turner in goal, made 7-8 brilliant saves and it was really backs against the wall stuff for Farnborough. Spencer duly animated on the bench for most of the game.

Having seen Farnborough twice now this season, haven't been impressed with them at all!

H+Y my pick for the league. Met Police for the play offs at this point.

Edited by SloughFlyer

29 minutes ago, SloughFlyer said:

Beaconsfield were very unlucky yesterday. Took the lead with a good goal inside 2 minutes. Goalie made a howler for the equaliser and then Hodges pulled a worldie out from 25 yards on the stroke of half time. MoM for Farnborough easily Jack Turner in goal, made 7-8 brilliant saves and it was really backs against the wall stuff for Farnborough. Spencer duly animated on the bench for most of the game.

Having seen Farnborough twice now this season, haven't been impressed with them at all!

H+Y my pick for the league. Met Police for the play offs at this point.

Not seen any games but I still think the title will be between U'As and Farnborough closely followed by my tip Taunton.

Our old rivals Chesham are having a good season and should make the play-offs.

Edited by Reading Rebel

1 hour ago, Reading Rebel said:

Not seen any games but I still think the title will be between U'As and Farnborough closely followed by my tip Taunton.

Our old rivals Chesham are having a good season and should make the play-offs.

Yesterday, U 'As failed to score for the first time in 23 matches.

Taunton Town are now five points behind U 'As with two matches in hand.

Next Saturday 12th March : Taunton Town v Hayes & Yeading United.

1 hour ago, GlenSTFC said:

Unless you’re including a quick trip to France not sure a weekend in Dover is high on anyone’s list!!!

I am a Man of Kent so know the Dover area well and all that it has to offer. Like Slough, there is much to see in Dover itself if you know where to go. The views of and from both Dover Castle and
The White Cliffs of Dover are stunning. 

If you are not sure Glen, read this :-

"With striking, world-famous coastline, beautiful countryside, fascinating history and heritage, characterful towns and picturesque villages, White Cliffs Country in Kent is a wonderful part of the UK. It’s where the coast meets the countryside, ancient meets modern, relaxation meets adventure and England meets Europe. The iconic and instantly-recognisable White Cliffs of Dover are at the heart of White Cliffs Country, with Kent's Heritage Coast listed in Lonely Planet's "Best In Travel 2022" as one of the world's best regions to visit.

As one of the warmest and driest places in the UK, White Cliffs Country - Deal, Dover, Sandwich and beyond - makes a great getaway destination, for exciting things to do in Kent, for the whole family to enjoy, and for the whole year round. Just an hour from London on the high-speed train, and with the shortest ferry crossing time to Europe, White Cliffs Country has excellent travel connections and is easily accessible from major cities. If you're planning to visit the coast and countryside of South East England, visit White Cliffs Country! With 20 miles of coastline and beaches offering stunning views and breathtaking scenery, around 22% of the entire region is designated as an ‘Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty' (AONB). In White Cliffs Country, you'll find memorable things to see and do whilst enjoying fantastic outdoor spaces - with a great variety of walking trails and cycle routes, including along the North Downs Way and England Coast Path National Trails - and unique experiences that mean you can "live like a local".

The home of Kent's Coastal Castles and Kent's Golf Coast, White Cliffs Country is somewhere you might plan to visit for a day, but you'll want to stay for a week - or more! Visit maritime Deal, historic Dover, medieval Sandwich and beyond for amazing days out, fantastic locally produced food and drink, quirky and traditional places to stay - and make holiday memories to treasure."

Just make sure that you get back in time for the next Slough Town home match!

Edited by Shredding Green

1 hour ago, Shredding Green said:

Yesterday, U 'As failed to score for the first time in 23 matches.

Taunton Town are now five points behind U 'As with two matches in hand.

Next Saturday 12th March : Taunton Town v Hayes & Yeading United.

SG I saw Taunton play at S/Marine 2 weeks ago in league cup semj final match which they won 2 - 1 a big team got stronger as the game wore on will be a tough match for H/Y.

Have been disappointed with Marine this season no consistency saw them beat Farnbough 5 - 2 early in the season whose centre halfs looked like they were running in treacle but did say to a home supporter who ever is above them at the end of season will win the league.

1 hour ago, Reading Rebel said:

Nice bit of historical fact finding on Dover from Shredding.

For all those cynics who thought people only went to Dover to catch the ferry for a booze cruise  ?   

Haha not convinced I’m afraid and if you really try you can even make out Slough to have lots of interesting facts and places of interest still doesn’t mean it’s a place the majority would think of visiting!

On 04/03/2022 at 16:29, Reading Rebel said:

I would say it's all about having the ambition to play and manage against big name clubs and getting paid to do something you love doing on a full time basis.

Yes I understand that but as a football club, do clubs make much more money,with the extra costs involved,when promoted from National Premier to Division 3 of the Football League, or from National South to National Premier?

In Slough's case currently, I think National South seems a good fit but you could argue that if Slough were in the league below, they would be the big fish and most likely would be fighting it out at the top of the table. Whereas in National South we're still average in terms of the crowds we are getting, and as good as our team is we've had to curtail our ambitions because of the need to balance the books. Being shrewd in our player recruitment our joint managers have done very well but how long will this suffice, to match their ambitions to succeed higher?

National Premier level has to still be the aim for the club but to me it seems a step too far in this moment in time, and appears way off of happening. Woking FC is of course a benchmark, on what can be achieved but I liken our club more to Farnborough and Basingstoke !