Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

10 minutes ago, Irishadrian said:

After tonight our 77 goals make us 2nd highest scorers in the league The only feam to have scored more is Worthing.

Should be at least 81 of course, but that's still one heck of a statistic, especially considering that at times this season our Achilles Heel has been not taking chances and our top goalscorer has only scored 15!

1 hour ago, Nathan said:

Should be at least 81 of course, but that's still one heck of a statistic, especially considering that at times this season our Achilles Heel has been not taking chances and our top goalscorer has only scored 15!

Nathan has scored 14 league goals and 3 cup goals.

We are one of the top scoring sides in the division but mainly due to Scott wanting to play attacking football which is great to watch for supporters.

Unfortunately it has come at the expense of being a bit leaky at the back which of course was not helped by not having the same keeper for the season.

9 hours ago, Nathan said:

our top goalscorer has only scored 15!

Since promotion to National League South our Golden Boot winners by season:-

2018/19 Ben Harris - 12 (5 league goals)

2019/20 Ben Harris - 13 (9 league goals)

2021/22 Alfonso Tenconi - 10 (9 league goals)

2022/23 George Alexander/Josh Jackman - 6

This season with a couple matches left I think Minhas is on 17 (14 league goals) & Goddard 16 (13 league goals)….. the most successful goal scorers we have had since promotion to the National South.

1 hour ago, Curtis said:

This season with a couple matches left I think Minhas is on 17 (14 league goals) & Goddard 16 (13 league goals)….. the most successful goal scorers we have had since promotion to the National South.

How many games did they play?

I think those figures and our current ones say that we haven't had a top or prolific scorer since we've been in the NLS.

1 hour ago, Reading Rebel said:

I think those figures and our current ones say that we haven't had a top or prolific scorer since we've been in the NLS.

Nathan Minhas is in the top ten goal scorers in our league & Johnny Goddard is 13th….. the only prolific scorers are Ollie Pearce (38) & Shaun Jeffers (25), third place is 18 goals, and George Alexander 5th (16).

What do you consider ‘prolific’? 20+ league goals?

It’s Nathan’s first season at this level, and there appears to have been a learning curve…..  3 league goals in his first 15 league appearances, 11 goals in his last 26 appearances. Could it be 20+ next season?

2 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Nathan Minhas is in the top ten goal scorers in our league & Johnny Goddard is 13th….. the only prolific scorers are Ollie Pearce (38) & Shaun Jeffers (25), third place is 18 goals, and George Alexander 5th (16).

What do you consider ‘prolific’? 20+ league goals?

It’s Nathan’s first season at this level, and there appears to have been a learning curve…..  3 league goals in his first 15 league appearances, 11 goals in his last 26 appearances. Could it be 20+ next season?

I’d say at least 25 to be considered prolific. Although Nathan has been guilty of a few fluffed chances, it’s his first full season at this level so I think he’s done well to get 17 in all comps. Who knows he may break that elusive 20 goals barrier this season still. With a good pre-season there’s no reason why he can’t beat this season’s tally. 

Top goal scorer is influenced in so many ways, firstly by who you are playing - if they don’t give you chances, you will not get that many.

You also have how many other players are in there getting goals, you also need the right service and that is down to how the rest of the team are set up.

Some players need service, others make their own chances, some are just poachers/tap in experts.

Other players are good at intimidating defences which leads to opportunities – i.e. Ian Hodge & Eddie Smith from a few years back.

Also, it depends how good a player is with their head as this will add to chances and goals.

And the other two big influences are numbers of games played and injuries picked up - if you are not on the pitch you can't score.

And the final attribute is luck, or how much luck you make for yourself!

17 minutes ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

Top goal scorer is influenced in so many ways, firstly by who you are playing - if they don’t give you chances, you will not get that many.

You also have how many other players are in there getting goals, you also need the right service and that is down to how the rest of the team are set up.

Some players need service, others make their own chances, some are just poachers/tap in experts.

Other players are good at intimidating defences which leads to opportunities – i.e. Ian Hodge & Eddie Smith from a few years back.

Also, it depends how good a player is with their head as this will add to chances and goals.

And the other two big influences are numbers of games played and injuries picked up - if you are not on the pitch you can't score.

And the final attribute is luck, or how much luck you make for yourself!

The way we are set up and play, which is all based upon being offensive/attack minded, there really is no excuse for a good number 9 to not be hitting at least 20+ goals.

It might be outdated but to my mind the ideal strike force is a player that bullies defenders and a partner that feeds off that i.e. Ian Hodges and Tony Boot who were imo the perfect combo. 

At this level the difficulty is getting the perfect balance between attack and defence.

As we've seen this season we've scored lots of goals but defensively we've not been so hot.

1 hour ago, Irishadrian said:

Hemel Hempstead in an effort to get a bumper crowd at their last home game of the season  are charging just £5  

Really generous offer from Hemel to reward the fans.

Weymouth have been given the points for their abandoned game against Yeovil.

24 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Really generous offer from Hemel to reward the fans.

Weymouth have been given the points for their abandoned game against Yeovil.

But does Dan Roberts get his goal?

8 hours ago, Curtis said:

As Reading Rebel says, this only shows how we've struggled for a prolific goal scorer since we were promoted. Ben Harris was never that; his game-time was so stop-start, he seemed to spend half his time injured and the other half suspended!

And without wanting to take anything away rom Alfonso Tenconi, George Alexander or Josh Jackman, the fact that the top scorers for the 2021/22 & 2022/23 seasons scored 10 and 6 respectively is a little embarrassing tbh.

4 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

The way we are set up and play, which is all based upon being offensive/attack minded, there really is no excuse for a good number 9 to not be hitting at least 20+ goals.

It might be outdated but to my mind the ideal strike force is a player that bullies defenders and a partner that feeds off that i.e. Ian Hodges and Tony Boot who were imo the perfect combo.

Agreed, though to be fair prolific scorers like that tend not to spend very long at this level. I think we were blessed to have Hodgey for as long as we did; Tony Boot left after two years to join Dagenham & Redbridge in the Conference.

6 hours ago, Curtis said:

the only prolific scorers are Ollie Pearce (38) & Shaun Jeffers (25), third place is 18 goals, and George Alexander 5th (16).

I'm astonished to see that about George Alexander, as he did little for us this year and by all accounts did little for Dartford either before being recalled again by Bromley (only to join Chelmsford permanently a day later).

It looks like Chelmsford have got something out of him that neither we nor Dartford could.

36 minutes ago, Nathan said:

I'm astonished to see that about George Alexander, as he did little for us this year

He scored 6 goals for us in 15 league appearances…… they all came in the first 8 league matches though, and then none in the last seven before leaving.

Prolific strikers aren’t easy to find at this level, and I’ll be honest, we wouldn’t be able to afford one either… If we did the rest of the squad would suffer! 

You would be looking to pay 1 player £1500-£2000 a week!