Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Wingate & Finchley

littlehampton

Wingate being a Jewish club,or at least associated with the local Jewish community will obviously take this seriously and it will obviously upset them but I don't think it's doing themselves any favours by continuing their protests.

The manager has been relieved of his duties,has given his events on the matter and it should be left at that.

Continuing their protests will not do their club any good,it was one person who said it,not anyone else associated with ET so it should be closed now action has been taken

ETID I understand where you are coming from, with regard to supporters venomous abuse, and I agree that all clubs, ourselves included, need to address the problem and take all necessary action to cut it out. It is unnecessary and totally unacceptable in this day and age, particularly where there are young children and families present.

With regard to George, you are right, we can't excuse his comments but we should try and understand why he reacted in the way he did on this particular occasion. He should have known better, but we all have human frailties and react to provocation in different ways on the spur of the moment. With the benefit of hindsight, I wonder how many of us have thought 'there for the grace of God go I'?

I have to agree with EU. The Wingate and Finchley board have behaved in a disgraceful fashion in making the following comment,

"With reference to the report in the Non League Paper ( NLP) on Sunday 31st August, Wingate & Finchley FC wish to make the following statement. There were a very small section of supporters at the match in question, these consisted of a handful of supporters, players' family members and club officials. The club wish to make it clear that any allegations made by George Borg as to the conduct of that group are categorically denied. Those present at the match are willing to co-operate with any investigation into the conduct of George Borg on that day and their contact details can be provided to those investigating the incident."

It seems that rather than condemn their fans who made some despicable chants which I heard, although my mother sitting in the stands did not, they present themselves as beyond reproach. Have they not considered why George made the comments he did. I have been a fan of EFC and ETFC when George was manager and never has their been a complaint of racism or anti-semitism against him. I believe he had intense provocation by the W & F fans and his body language during the game demonstrated that it was getting to him. I do not condone his remarks but understand how it happened and the W & F board ought to take more responsibility for the actions of their fans and also their players including the number 4 who got sent off on the day.

I think the actions of our board in the way that they have dealt with the matter put their board to shame and they are an utter disgrace!

It is always sad when your own club gets dragged into situations like this, because in the end there are no winners or losers and it only tarnishes the image and reputation of everyone involved.

The Wingate & Finchley FC board are very pleasant people, and over the years there has always been a good relationship between our club and their own. I understand why they took offence at what George is alleged to have said, but like Steph said in para.(3) above, it is hard to understand why they don't accept that there was unacceptable provocation by their own supporters when W&F were leading 3-0. Sometimes there are none as deaf as those who don't want to hear.

Regrettably, this affair has resulted in George leaving the club. I fail to understand what more they hope to achieve, and to many people it may well seem that they really are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Very well said Steph.

I would ask supporters to cast there mind back to Feb 2013 please correct me if I am wrong when coldend had

to put a warning at the beginning of his video of the game at Wingate because of the foul language used by

the squeaky clean Wingate fans.

Also what about the spitting incident when Brian Hammett was spat at and when I confronted one of there

officials about it I was told its all part of the game mate go away and grow up.

I agree 100% with Steph that the Wingate board are a disgrace.

I wonder are they deliberately blowing this out of all proportion because they are still bitter that Mr Borg

managed to save us from relegation and at that time relegated Wingate.I wish they had never got that

reprieve.