Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Wingate & Finchley

littlehampton

Very interested to read the post-match comments from Towners who saw the game yesterday. Everyone has there own opinion on where and why things went badly wrong, and it can't be denied that we have made a pretty poor start to the new season, much against expectation. Think it is important to bear in mind that we have only played half a dozen matches to date, with another 38 RPL matches still to play between now and next April.

A number of changes have been made to the team since last season and, as we all know, it takes time for new players to settle in and play to their full potential. We all want the team to do well and, hopefully, this will happen sooner than later. At times like this they need our support and encouragement.

With regard to George Borg, he is a great guy, highly respected in football, and a very experienced manager. He did brilliantly getting us out of a real mess last season, and will undoubtedly get things right this campaign. Think this needs to be remembered when passing comments about rumours.

Speaking to George after the canvey game where he was abused verbally I sensed that George believes he has taken the club as far as he can and as he is not in the best of health it is my belief that George is about to resign and walk away from the club he loves a very sad day for all of us.

Now confirmed George has resigned he can walk away with his head held high after what he achieved last season and although this season hasn't started as we would have all liked I am sure George would have got it right, I know for a fact that he is not in the best of health and this is the main reason he has decided to call it a day, I am sure all the supporters want to wish George all the best for the future.

This is a very very sad day for our club.  

Now confirmed George has resigned he can walk away with his head held high after what he achieved last season and although this season hasn't started as we would have all liked I am sure George would have got it right, I know for a fact that he is not in the best of health and this is the main reason he has decided to call it a day, I am sure all the supporters want to wish George all the best for the future.

This is a very very sad day for our club.  

Ahh, the good old "bad health" excuse covering up the real reason why he's gone.  It's officially on the ETFC site.

Confused as to why vauxhallman is saying George has resigned due to ill health, when the clubs statement merely says the club and George have parted company.

PV, indeed.  Maybe there's more truth about this sending off incident.  I would've thought that if it was just ill health, the Club would say so.

Sorry to see George go, whatever the circumstances, (and there's plenty of gossip flying about).

As an East Thurrock supporter, and a long time follower of non league football, may I wish him well on behalf of all at Rookery Hill.

George's record in non league football speaks for itself, and he certainly lifted ETFC out of the mire last season, you must all agree.

Just don't hold a moments indiscression against him.

All the best George.

Must say I am shocked and very surprised by the sudden dismissal of our manager George Borg on Monday, and I guess other Towners will be as well.
When he was appointed last December, eight short months ago, he was welcomed with open arms, and everyone felt he could do a job and save us from relegation.
He did, and in so doing secured our RPL status for another season.

Everyone was optimistic and looking forward to the new season. The pre-season friendlies went well, and new players were drafted in to strengthen the first team squad. Most people felt we would have a much better season and finish mid-table or above. Results to date have not gone as well as expected, but there is still plenty of time to put that right. So, we can assume results and performance were not a contributory factor in George's departure, and I doubt ill health.

So why has George gone? No specific reason has been given by the club, but  the Wingate & Finchley website confirms that certain things were said, which resulted in George being ordered from the dug-out, and the matter being reported to the FA. It would appear that there is a case to be answered, so rightly or wrongly, one can only conclude this is the reason for George's abrupt departure.

Those of us who have known George for many years will be saddened by this turn of events. He has contributed an enormous amount to non-league football, has achieved great success, and will be a very hard act to follow. 

Many people are still stunned by the sudden departure of George Borg. There are plenty of rumours flying around, and there are two sides to every story, so if you are interested to hear George's version of events take a look at Dominique Stafford's article, published on the back page of The Enfield Advertiser this week, or access it through their website www.enfield-today.co.uk and click on Sport to find the news story. Whilst we can't condone what was said, it might go some way towards enlightening us as to the reason.

Sadly I think that will probably be the last anyone sees of George Borg in non league football,to me it somewhat mirrors the Ron Atkinson saga a few years back,both at the given time probably still had something to give the game but appears a slip of the tongue has ultimately cost them both

Three official club statements have been posted on this subject on the Wingate & Finchley Football Club website. They are determined to ensure the FA takes action on this sad affair. Has the incident been blown out of all proportion? Think everyone will have their own opinion on that, but I think this story will run for some while yet. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this situation?  

I was away when all this kicked off, but have been privvy to the facts from those close to the incident. Although no one can condone any Anti-Semitic comments it was not directed at any one individual and was a reaction to 'vile and despicable' chants throughout the first half. Add the fact his team were awful and 3-0 down georges 'demons' got the better of him, the incitement worked.

Our Board

Had no choice as the referee was reporting the comments George had alledgedly made, no club can be aparty to such allegations, club apologised to Wingate and await the FA's report.

Wingate and Finchley

Have behaved in a childish and unproffessional manner in my humble view, jumping from one assoiciation to another reporting the alledged comments openly and quite frankly being trial and Jury before the governing authorities have decided the outcome of the comments.

My View

Frustrations get the better of the best of us and I challenge anyone not to react in the face of the alledged multiple incitement and antaganism such as in this case. If what George had said is true, it is not acceptable, but on a scale of 1 Not Bad and 10 Bad it would appear it being on the 1 side.

George Borg

Is a colourful eccentric character always winding up and niggling at everything and anyone. Maybe Managing is not for him and he should stick to coaching which he is excellent at, I for one would welcome him back as a number 2 whether found guilty or not. If found guilty then an apology should suffice, right or wrong?, if found not guilty then vice versa and we get on with the sport we love and keep nastiness from pitchside/terraces and Boardroom as far away as possible.

UP THE TOWN

Edited by Enfield United

Well put EU, think you have made some very pertinent comments on this matter. Like you I wasn't at the match, but from what I have heard and read, it would certainly appear that George was subjected to some unacceptable personal abuse by a small contingent of visiting supporters, when we were 3-0 down, and reacted in the spur of the moment. No one can condone Anti-Semitic or racial comments, but equally we shouldn't allow foul-mouthed abuse to be directed at match or team officials from the terrace, without some form of retribution against those responsible.

Whatever action is taken in this case I hope all the facts will be taken into account, that common sense will prevail, and an apology accepted. I certainly don't think George should be thrown to the wolves, or hung, drawn and quartered for this misdemeanour.

but equally we shouldn't allow foul-mouthed abuse to be directed at match or team officials from the terrace, without some form of retribution against those responsible.

With respect the phrases "pot, kettle" and "people in greenhouses" spring to mind.

There is a contingent of town fans, that have been moaned about on here (to be fair) that continue with venomous abuse. Maybe the club then needs to look closer to home then?

With regards George's alledged comments, he has been in football long enough to know not to bite, and especially with what was said.

I'd prefer not to give EU's comments the time of day, however, if he really thinks that George's comments were a 1 then it is a good job he is no longer involved officially at your club.

If this incident had related to an African/ Caribbean or African player and a similar comment had been made regarding race then would there be so much uproar from (some I add) yourselves, regardless of said abuse.

Again as I said in my last post I think your board have done the correct thing in the circumstances, and, apart from today's result, the team seem to be better organised and less dissent about.