Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

ET v Hampton & Richmond

waggamick1

Today's game was just the same as Billericay and Merstham, great first half, woeful second half and a 2 goal lead was never going to be enough against a bang average opponent. The difference in the second half was that H + R played to the conditions. With the wind behind them, H+R played it on the deck and kept the wind out of their play. We, as usual, hoofed it long to our one tall striker against a 40 mph wind ( who played well by the way ), ultimately handing possession back to the opposition to come back at us. They did and scored 3 times ! With 15 to go, we took Ottaway off ( 2-1 ) and replaced him with 5 foot 8 Kouassi and still carried on playing the long ball ! We weren't unlucky today, bad tactics and substitutions cost us again. This needs to be arrested quickly as I am becoming very worried. 

We did it learn from our mistakes last week. A long ball down field caught us out and McDonald and their forward got injured in trying to play the ball. Alarm bells should have been ringing by the time they got up but what do we do, push up and hoof the ball into the wind! We got what we deserved.

Three games 2 -0. Up with 9 points on offer.

Ended up 2-2. 2-2. 2-3. = 2points

Unacceptable performances

Poor team selection

Poor substitutions

Poor level of Squad - not up yo Ryman Prem standard.

Need a dominant Centre half and a ball winning / passing midfielder who can hold the ball.

Harry best Town player by a mile.

Changes needed NOW or we will be fighting the drop.

Some quite scathing comments from Towners at the match today who, understandably, are very concerned  and disappointed at the way we are conceding goals and gifting points to our opponents. In the last three home league matches against Billericay, Merstham, and Hampton & Richmond this afternoon, we have given away a two-goal lead and lost seven points out of nine from a winning position. Serious questions need to be asked, and positive action taken to rectify the situation, before our league position (now 17th) drifts further in a southerly direction.

At this stage of the season it is hardly a crisis, as there is a long way to go and we have a number of games in hand on quite a few teams above and below us. That said it is better to have points than games in hand. Only a short time ago we were talking about making the play-offs. Now, with every week that passes, this seems a remote possibility, as the top teams extend the points gap, and we are left with a lot of work to do, to get within touching distance. We won't if we carry on with our present erratic form, will we??

Where was Bihmoutine today, he scored 4 on Thursday night ? What was the point in playing Tayshan if the ball is being hit 20 feet above his head for the whole game ? The crowds are dropping and people are losing interest. There was quite a bit of discontent behind the goal today as well. Testing times.

Disappointed we yet again lost after being in a winning position.

Disappointed with the referee for giving Hampton a dubious penalty to get them back into the game,and then only giving Town a free-kick when Corey was fouled two yards inside the box shortly afterwards.!

Disappointed that the once superb atmosphere and support from behind the goal has become somewhat divisive.Turning against the board, long-term supporters,and half of the playing squad will not help the club in the long term..I know some may have other agendas and axes to grind with certain individuals,but please don't let it be at the expense of the football club as a whole..All our rivals (past and present) would love it if we allowed to club to impolde in on itself ,after building up such a strong foundation,all because of infighting and personality clashes.Lets not allow that to happen.

Having read with interest many of your comments over the past few weeks, especially as to where it is all going wrong, I feel I must add my observations, as harsh as they may seem. I believe Oldtowner is very near the truth, there are at least 3 players who are way out of their depth at this level. The Manager, however, appears to see one as indispensable.... Unfortunately, he has shot himself in the foot by making him Captain. It also seems that the manager always subs the same players irrespective as to how they are playing, Tashin and Harry. The latter being the best and influential player on the park today.

It would be of interest if one or two of you watch our captain for a 15 minute period of a game as I have done over the past few weeks, with a more critical eye, and have been left wondering what is his role in the team. It is certainly not as the holding central midfielder nor an attacking/forward midfielder nor as a leader. He seems to roam around carte blanche missing more tackles than he wins plus his limited pacing ability. 

Believe it or not, my remarks are not meant to be spiteful but an appraisal of the position as I see it, but surely their is someone in the club who can fill this position.  

Where do the team go from here. With limited financial resources it is difficult for the manager but if you cannot obtain them from above or same level look for some one who has ability from below. I wonder where Steve Highway or Ian Wright  would have ended up if scouts had come down to non league?     

We certainly need a "leader" on the pitch.

From above comments -

My own view is that Stan has not become a bad player, but sometimes making players Captain can have a detrimental effect on their game.

I think this may have happened here.

We need a new central defender, strong and captain material.

Joe at left back.

Lockie back at right back

Ryan in midfield.

New ball winner and holder of the ball in midfield.

Cries for Bobby today are misplaced.

Cries for last season's Bobby are what we need.

Samir back from illness

Action required NOW.

All about opinions !!!!!

Some very good posts on this thread and a good debate to boot. I think that we've got a good squad of small, fast and tricky players. The introduction of Harry, who I think is a great player, has really upset the balance of the team. I'd like to see us start the next game with Bobby and Corey up front and keep the ball on the FLOOR and see where that takes us. If it doesn't work, then throw Harry on and go long and see where that takes us. It worked wonders last season.

Surely the main issue is in defence. In the last 3 home league games we have scored 2 or more in each and that really should be enough to win a game. The difference between when we were winning earlier in the season and now is that we are missing Gabriel, Lockie and Doyle (also Kirby and Ellul if we consider last season).

Disappointed we yet again lost after being in a winning position.

Disappointed with the referee for giving Hampton a dubious penalty to get them back into the game,and then only giving Town a free-kick when Corey was fouled two yards inside the box shortly afterwards.!

Disappointed that the once superb atmosphere and support from behind the goal has become somewhat divisive.Turning against the board, long-term supporters,and half of the playing squad will not help the club in the long term..I know some may have other agendas and axes to grind with certain individuals,but please don't let it be at the expense of the football club as a whole..All our rivals (past and present) would love it if we allowed to club to impolde in on itself ,after building up such a strong foundation,all because of infighting and personality clashes.Lets not allow that to happen.

I was at the far end of the pitch. McDonald called for the ball, their guy got to it and McDonald took him out. If that is dubious, then I don't know what is.

As for performances, we are not as good as some people think. We won't get anywhere if we play like we did today. There needs to be changes made in the playing staff.

I bow to your better view of the incident Andy..From much further away it looked like Nathan got the touch on the ball that sent it 30 yards sideways and out for a throw.Not sure how the ball ended where it did if Nathan did not get a touch.Obviously if he did not (as you say) then it was a penalty.As was the foul on Corey.

Regarding the defence.I agree with you..We are missing our first choice full-backs and have lost Kirby and Ellul as well at the start of the season..Leaving only Nathan in goal and Vilcu as being good enough quality to compete at this level.I think up top and in wide areas we have enough quality (if those players are on form and played correctly)..Need one if not two good central midfield players added to the squad as well.

Ps..what where you doing down the Hampton end anyway?  <_<

I see that my earlier remarks have given rise to more thought and observations.

If I may, I would like to reply to two points that have been raised.

The first, is that the responsibility of captaincy can change a player. This has been recognised true in many sports. But this view is only valid if the player was outstanding before captaincy. Last year Sam Magou was protected by those around him, one of them being Kirby, who from central defence passes the ball as well as anyone I have seen, in my 60 plus years of watching non league. 

Secondly, it is true that we have some fast adroit players who need the ball played into their feet or if long,

over and beyond the apposing defence. At the moment two of the back four have only one option and that is to put "boot to ball". This can be changed by practice but only if the participants are willing to learn.   

Well what can we do? 

Well,my understanding of being a Members Owned Club is for the members to have their concerns considered. Consequently, the disquiet discussed in previous posts should be made known to those officially running the club,on the members' behalf, so that they may be considered. If they are disregarded

at least they have been aired.

But as Oldtowner says, "it's all a matter of opinion" and that is what keeps us coming back for more.

For my part it I would like to know :-    

What action, if any, is being taken to seek replacements by way of, either long term or loans, especially for long term injured. 

Do the team need a new, alternative, training scheme to ensure 90 minutes concentration. ( The mind governs all ). 

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

I bow to your better view of the incident Andy..From much further away it looked like Nathan got the touch on the ball that sent it 30 yards sideways and out for a throw.Not sure how the ball ended where it did if Nathan did not get a touch.Obviously if he did not (as you say) then it was a penalty.As was the foul on Corey.

Regarding the defence.I agree with you..We are missing our first choice full-backs and have lost Kirby and Ellul as well at the start of the season..Leaving only Nathan in goal and Vilcu as being good enough quality to compete at this level.I think up top and in wide areas we have enough quality (if those players are on form and played correctly)..Need one if not two good central midfield players added to the squad as well.

Ps..what where you doing down the Hampton end anyway?  <_<

Better view of the game on the side lines and nearer the soup kitchen to keep me warm!

Think that's a very harsh assessment of Stanley Muguo - I don't think centre midfield is where our problems have been in the main.

Very disappointed with yesterday's result - almost criminal to give away a 2 goal lead 3 home league games in a row. If we can't see out games like that we're going to be knocking on the door of the relegation zone, thoughts of a play-off seem way off. However, on the plus side we were beating one of the top sides going into the 89th minute! We shouldn't forget that Hampton are now 5 points off the top with 2 games in hand. I wonder whether the decision to play such a strong side on Thursday night, great entertainment as it was for the few of us there, backfired with fitness and concentration levels tested towards the end of the game yesterday.

Sorry, Anfield Twn, that you found my view harsh but I said initially I might have to be . My observations were not made on just yesterday but over a number of weeks. Because of injuries things are as they are and in order to see if I had over stepped the mark I looked up the players statistics shown on the club's website and you know what it's there for all to see. His points ratio, after 18 games is amongst the lowest. QED!!

I agree there are others but my point is that it can be improved and that is by more discipline. 

Edited by 4wembleyfinals