Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Berkhamsted Raiders

Historically there have always been problems with the pitch at Kings Langley and I wonder if Berkhamsted Raiders were made fully aware of the situation before Keith Pollard happily signed on the dotted line of the groundshare agreement. In 2014 Kings Langley were handed part of a huge 150m fund to lay a new pitch, just three years later in 2017 the pitch was being relayed again and now, just two years down the road, home matches are having to be cancelled due to the inadequate playing surface at the Sadiku Stadium:

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/11200821.pitch-construction-at-kings-langley-football-club-back-on-track/

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/15452746.derry-edgar-gaywood-park-pitch-improvements-a-massive-plus-for-kings-langley-ahead-of-new-season/

I note that Berkhamsted Raiders first fixture at the Sadiku Stadium is scheduled for Tuesday 21 September followed closely by one on Saturday 24 September, lets see whether those fixtures will actually take place with both Kings Langley and Watford Ladies due to begin their campaigns on the hallowed turf. I am sure that Watford Ladies pay 'their landlords' far more than Berkhamsted Raiders do so they will be given preference, interestingly they are due to entertain Arsenal Ladies on Sunday 15 September and Kings Langley have a scheduled home Southern League fixture the day before.

3 hours ago, Rhodes said:

I note that Berkhamsted Raiders first fixture at the Sadiku Stadium is scheduled for Tuesday 21 September followed closely by one on Saturday 24 September, lets see whether those fixtures will actually take place with both Kings Langley and Watford Ladies due to begin their campaigns on the hallowed turf. I am sure that Watford Ladies pay 'their landlords' far more than Berkhamsted Raiders do so they will be given preference, interestingly they are due to entertain Arsenal Ladies on Sunday 15 September and Kings Langley have a scheduled home Southern League fixture the day before.

Have you thought of becoming Fixture Secretary?

18 hours ago, petethegreek said:

Have you thought of becoming Fixture Secretary?

He may be working on it !   ?

Apologies, obviously I was referring to Berkhamsted Raiders scheduled home fixtures against Pitstone & Ivinghoe on Tuesday 17 September and MK Gallacticos on Saturday 21 September. There's still no getting away from the fact that it will be a surprise if they go ahead, it will be interesting to see whether Kings Langley's FA Cup First Qualifying Round tie against Barking at the Sadiku Stadium will be played on Saturday. 

Just to reassure Berkhamsted Raiders that the Kings Langley v Barking FA Cup tie is going ahead this afternoon, that must be music to the Club's ears:

The pitch is looking great ahead of today's FA Cup tie against Barking. Make sure you get yourself down and support the team in their first home game of the season.

ED2TEBcXUAAextw.jpg

I see Berkhamsted Raiders maintained their 100% league record this afternoon at The 61 FC (Luton) winning 5-0 with Josh Mantle netting four times on his first team league bow. The Club now look forward to their first home game of the campaign on Tuesday evening against Pitstone and Ivinghoe at the Sadiku Stadium.

Berkhamsted Raiders make their home bow this evening at the Sadiku Stadium. The Club have won it’s first four league games of the campaign at Sarratt, Bovingdon, Tring Corinthians AFC and The 61 FC (Luton) and sit proudly at the summit of Division Two without having kicked a ball in anger on home soil, they will no doubt be looking forward to the visit of mid table Pitstone and Ivinghoe who are unlikely to put up much resistance despite plying their trade at such salubrious surroundings

On 10/07/2019 at 09:39, Savagebee said:

I don't blame Berkhamsted FC for being upset to be honest.

Savagebee - Further to the spat between Berkhamsted FC and Berkhamsted Raiders, this article explains more. Raiders Chairman Keith Pollard stated at the time that 'It was not a takeover of Berkhamsted FC' but that's exactly what it was and the Club would have had to drop down the Pyramid as the proposed new facilities would not have met Step 4 criteria, they now sit proudly at the summit of the Southern League Division 1 Central with the distinct possibility of promotion to Step 3 next season:

https://www.livingmags.info/football-row/

16 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Savagebee - Further to the spat between Berkhamsted FC and Berkhamsted Raiders, this article explains more. Raiders Chairman Keith Pollard stated at the time that 'It was not a takeover of Berkhamsted FC' but that's exactly what it was and the Club would have had to drop down the Pyramid as the proposed new facilities would not have met Step 4 criteria, they now sit proudly at the summit of the Southern League Division 1 Central with the distinct possibility of promotion to Step 3 next season:

Always enjoyed my visits to Berkhamsted FC. Glad to hear that they are doing well. 

Savagebee - I would have given my right arm to be an insect or fly on the wall during the discussions between Keith Pollard and Berkhamsted FC Chairman Steve Davis, you can tell that Mr Pollard tried to ride roughshod as that is very much his style but Mr Davis wasn't having any of it was he.

On 04/09/2019 at 11:49, Rhodes said:

Berkhamsted Raiders scheduled home fixtures against Pitstone & Ivinghoe on Tuesday 17 September and MK Gallacticos on Saturday 21 September. 

I expect Berkhamsted Raiders were praying for Kings Langley to, firstly, be beaten by Barking in the FA Cup First Qualifying Round and, secondly, to be drawn away in the Second Qualifying Round so they could meet MK Gallacticos at the recently renamed Orbital Fasterners Stadium as arranged tomorrow. Instead, with Kings Langley now hosting Folkestone Invicta, they will be sitting at home twiddling their thumbs as will MK Gallacticos who unfortunately have to forfeit playing tomorrow through no fault of their own.

Whilst we're on the subject of Kings Langley I see that their manager Dean Barker has surprisingly resigned:

Kings Langley boss Dean Barker resigns

Sep 19, 2019 | Chimp Weekly Headlines, newsnow, Top Stories

Dean Barker has resigned from his role as manager of Kings Langley.

Kings have taken eight points from their opening seven games this season in the BetVictor Southern Premier Central. Barker took charge back in June and was described by the club as ‘the perfect fit to further develop the club’s young squad.’

The former Northwood boss has now departed, though, and the club have posted this statement this morning:

“Kings Langley Football Club have reluctantly accepted the resignation of first-team manager, Dean Barker. Dean joined the club under challenging circumstances with the club’s entire pre-season and early league fixtures all played away from home.

“Dean showed exceptional resolve to overcome these difficulties to lead the team to a positive start to the season. The club recognise and acknowledge the unrelenting work ethic and commitment Dean has displayed during his tenure and would like to put on record their appreciation of the contribution he has made to Kings Langley Football Club in a short space of time.

“The club wish him all the very best in his future career.”

http://nonleaguedaily.com/kings-langley-boss-dean-barker-resigns/?utm_source=All+Football&utm_campaign=f7bb75a2b9-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_09_21_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b33754a738-f7bb75a2b9-412243449&mc_cid=f7bb75a2b9&mc_eid=d914ad9d95#utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=kings-langley-boss-dean-barker-resigns

Berkhamsted Raiders must have been spitting feathers this afternoon when the FA Cup Third Qualifying Round draw was announced as Kings Langley were drawn at home to Corinthian Casuals on 5 October, they were due to host Totternhoe that day in a SSML Division 2 fixture at the Orbital Fasterners Stadium:

http://nonleaguedaily.com/fa-cup-third-round-qualifying-draw-2/?mc_cid=e77401b67c&mc_eid=d914ad9d95#utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=fa-cup-third-round-qualifying-draw-2

Edited by Rhodes

On 18/09/2019 at 17:04, Rhodes said:

As someone directly involved in this 2 year dispute I can categorically confirm it was an underhanded attempt to takeover Berkhamsted FC's ground and trust me he more than met his match and went away with his tail firmly between his legs.  

Savagebee - To quote the legendary Barry Davies commentary of the Francis Lee goal for Derby at Maine Road in 1974 , that's interesting, very interesting. If Keith Pollard had been nice about it and simply gone to his counterpart, Steve Davis at Berkhamsted FC, cap in hand and on bended knee then Mr Davis may well have been happy to listen and tried to be more receptive and accommodating to the plan however why should he if Mr Pollard was simply trying to ride roughshod over a much loved Club who had played on the hallowed Broadwater turf for a hundred years. The arrogant and assuming piece below from Berkhamsted Raiders website says it all really:

https://www.berkhamstedraiders.com/update-on-the-berkhamsted-community-stadium-project/

Also, reading this interesting article, originated by the innovative Dacorum Sports Network, the ambitious plans and report Berkhamsted Raiders submitted to Dacorum Council, after a 13 month delay and without even showing Berkhamsted FC, breached about ten FA rules which would have meant relegation to a lower league for Berkhamsted FC, not just one league but possibly two or even three, unless of course they vacated Broadwater and groundshared with another Club. Fortunately, the Berkhamsted Sports Ground Charitable Association (BSGCA), who are the freeholders of Broadwater, appear to have been on Berkhamsted FC's side and had informed Berkhamsted Raiders in no uncertain terms to demonstrate that the project needed to satisfy various criteria and to show sufficient progress on planning and finance issues which Keith Pollard was unable to do, indeed his presentation was fundamentally flawed:

https://www.dacorumsports.net/news/berkhamsted-football-club-future/

I see that Berkhamsted Raiders are actually scheduled to play another home league game next Wednesday evening against Old Bradwell United and then a Division 2 Cup First Round tie on Saturday 19 October against Aston Clinton however that will take us into early November with the Club only having completed two home league fixtures by then at the Orbital Fasterners Stadium. It's not ideal is it with another twelve home league fixtures still to play and possibly two more in the Division 2 Cup if they are 'unlucky' with the Quarter and Semi Final draws. We also don't know how the hallowed turf at the stadium is going to hold up throughout the winter months with Kings Langley, Watford Ladies and Berkhamsted Raiders all playing on it.

Edited by Rhodes

I wonder whether the pressure is actually starting to tell on Berkhamsted Raiders, not so much on the pitch but off it. It must be difficult having to play away from home every week and I get the impression that Kings Langley don't really want them there as tenants, they would just be content with Watford Ladies who must be paying a tidy sum to play at the Orbital Fasterners Stadium. I would be interested to know how much Keith Pollard agreed to pay Kings Langley to ground share however Berkhamster Raiders have deep pockets from subscriptions, sponsorship, donations and fundraising, he is also very well connected to the great and the good in this Country and around the World.