Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Bowers & Pitsea

seemgee

I thought that I would add my thoughts.

We have two very good forwards but both need space to do their business.

Our opponents over the last few games have come to realise this and rather than defend on the edge of the penalty area or just in front they are defending higher and the back fours work as a team. Consequently Billy usually picks up the ball a few yards into the opponent's half and though he can keep the ball and lay off he hasn't got the pace to break the off side trap. If the midfield doesn't have the energy to support him we have a problem as he is generally surrounded by 2-3 defenders very quickly.

Now for Mo the problem is somewhat different. He has the pace to beat the offside trap but he often is found wide on the wing. Even if he isn't found wide the defence do not usually tackle him as that would leave them exposed but when he has the ball the marker can shepherd him wide where he cannot do damage. Mo coming at you at pace is a formidable opponent but if he can be tightly marked on receiving the ball the defender, providing he doesn't challenge, can control Mo's movement.

With our opponents playing a high back four our midfield finds itself cramped and forced back. The midfield does not have the ability to hold the ball and Billy should give them training in this. They also lack vision. How many times do we see the midfield pumping the ball down the left flank and completely ignoring the right side. THEY LACK THE SKILLS TO KEEP THE BALL.

That's my thoughts any way.

A very concise summation Steph1. I wonder if the management are aware of this???  I have expressed my thoughts on their awareness on previous numerous occasions. To precis them, my answer would be; they may do but any observations, even from his playing staff, which falls outside of AL's fixed view on how his teams should play overrides any other considerations.  As I said, right at the beginning of his arrival, he is well known not take to others advice very readily.  Even when it is so obviously valid. 

It will be interesting how he deals with the current dilemma!!!  

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Exactly as I have observed Steph.

I have mentioned this on numerous occasions to people who have the ear of AL.

4WF

I don't think AL has the same rigid playing style as when he first arrived,ie diamond with one up front hit it long,hold it up till support arrives.We now seem to line up 4-3-3,and the team do try to play passing football,I have witnessed some great games this season involving quality passing football.But as Steph so succinctly put against well organised teams holding a higher line we really struggle,and the ball goes long again.Teams have now sussed our style of play.

Surely our coaching team see this problem ?

You would hope so 72W. I agree with what you say but 4-3-3 only works if your hub, the mid-field is up to it. As you may know the Hungarians introduced this play in the early fifties and Alf Ramsey adopted it with Ipswich and then England. Quickly almost universally every team adopted it. To be successful at this formation it required the teams to have there strength in midfield.

Unfortunately at the moment it is our weakest link. Hopefully if Taafe recovers soon, along with Livings, this may be alleviated but how long will that be?  No one seems to know. In the mean time urgent attention is needed before we lapse any further. Fortunately ,what ever happens Saturday, it is a one off game in which anything can happen. 

7 hours ago, Steph1 said:

Now for Mo the problem is somewhat different. He has the pace to beat the offside trap but he often is found wide on the wing. Even if he isn't found wide the defence do not usually tackle him as that would leave them exposed but when he has the ball the marker can shepherd him wide where he cannot do damage.

Interesting comments as ever Steph - thanks. But just thought I'd clarify what might not be clear to everyone. Mo has clearly been instructed to play wide at times. The Wingate game was a good example. When told to play wide in the first half against Wingate they probably thought 'Thank you very much'. When allowed to go central in the second half, he scored (as we've come to expect).