Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Tring Athletic

There are clearly serious problems at Cow Lane at present with, firstly Chairman Howard Wells stepping down recently and now Manager Kevin Christou and his staff being unceremoniously sacked by the Club late last night following the 2-1 defeat at Wembley:

https://www.mix96.co.uk/news/local/3038193/tring-athletic-sack-manager-and-players-in-big-fallout/

39 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

There are clearly serious problems at Cow Lane at present with, firstly Chairman Howard Wells stepping down recently and now Manager Kevin Christou and his staff being unceremoniously sacked by the Club late last night following the 2-1 defeat at Wembley:

https://www.mix96.co.uk/news/local/3038193/tring-athletic-sack-manager-and-players-in-big-fallout/

I wouldn't begrudge Wembley of the win last night.

They played well as a team and looked comfortable against high flying Tring Athletic.

So you officiated at Vale Farm last night then, I hadn't checked, you didn't appear to have a game last Saturday as I was going to warn the Club's involved off. So you wouldn't say that the troubles at Tring Athletic at present had an effect on the result last night then, Tring are a Club who always tend, sooner or later, to shoot themselves in the foot, it's a crying shame as if they all pulled together in the same direction they could be right up there with their near neighbours Hemel Hempstead Town, Kings Langley and Berkhamsted.

Reading between the lines on the statements issued by the ex manager and the current committee it sounds like a budget issue. I think the budget was reduced and perhaps others (supported by the manager) have tried a “management buy out”

or that that could be nonsense!

As an ex committee member of tring myself I will have my two peneth worth to this debate

an email with documents that were gonna be presented to the egm at the end of February , was sent to all club members in advance of meeting,  in those documents was a list of 12 names, including players and coaches who along with ex chairman Wells proposing to replace the whole of the existing committee with a new executive committee, one of which was manager Kevin christou !! Now whatever people think of the current committee, these are hard working good people who have put everything including their own money into running tring the right way over the past 20/30 years , running in the black without overstretching the finances, this season tring upped its player budget to probably the highest in the division and its current league position is testament to that,  now as far as I know the budget was being overspent and had to be bought back into line, which is what happened

the crunch of it is, once the proposed new actions of mr wells was know, the club had no option but to relieve Kevin of his duties .and imho had no other option !

now Kevin is a good guy and his team have been superb this season and I genuinely hope he gets another job soon and all the players get sorted also, a great bunch of guys

but as far as I can see the current committee had no other choice but to remove everyone involved .  It’s all very well trying to move the club forward and as a supporter I would love to see the club in the southern league but not at the cost of crippling the club financially. 

Listening to the very interesting interview with Howard Wells on the Non League show on Tuesday evening, and reading between the lines of what he said to Ollie Bayliss, he sounded really fed up and disillusioned with the whole thing after two years at Cow Lane and I guess that's why he decided enough was enough. Previously CEO at Watford, Ipswich and the Irish FA, Mr Wells clearly knows what he is doing and is a winner, he said that as far as he is concerned the purpose of having a first team is to win matches and get promoted however he didn't feel that was a vision shared within the Club and some would prefer that they stayed as a small Club at the same level. That said it all really and, as an astute businessman, I also think he could foresee what was going to happen earlier this week and got out whilst the going was good and before it all hit the fan. Anyway lets see how the team perform on Saturday against Leverstock Green, I'm sure we all wish the Club well and hope they get back on an even keel soon, I expect Colney Heath have a sympathetic smile on their face though.

qy6qBnok?format=jpg&name=small

It’s all hit the fan because of him Rhodes as far as I see it, he left well before Xmas I think,   Let’s see what happens next, I fear he has had his nose put out of joint and will continue with a takeover bid.  Just my thoughts 

Edited by Elmo

Always two sides to any story I guess. Just listened to the 3 Counties interview. If true, not wanting to take promotion would be a very frustrating stance to take. I do understand wanting to run a club prudently but part of the fun is progressing. London Colney didn’t end up going up a few years ago and now their languishing at the bottom of the league

Finishing runners-up does not guarantee promotion.

The best four Step 5 runners up via points per game will be promoted, the other seven face a away one off play-off match with a Step 4 club with the winners either retaining their status or being promoted

I think everyone is wondering how Tring Athletic's game will go this afternoon at Cow Lane against Leverstock Green, will they implode still further if that's possible or re-group and come back fighting however presumably it will be a new look team that played at Wembley on Tuesday:

https://issuu.com/tringafc/docs/tring_athletic_fc_v_leverstock_green_fc_saturday_8

I think Tring Athletic answered their critics this afternoon with an emphatic 6-0 win against Leverstock Green:

Rhodes it was a team made up of reserves and youth players and they were outstanding,  good crowd of 182 turned up so all in all a good day,  realistically it’s gonna be tough going for the rest of the season, starting at north Greenford on Tuesday ,  hopefully a couple of more experienced local lads will sign on  to help out

Elmo - Yes, even Leverstock Green hold their hands up in their report and say they took a hiding but then two goals in stoppage time perhaps flattered Tring Athletic slightly considering it was 3-0 at half time. 

https://www.tafc.co.uk/report-r.php?fixture_id=3740#photos

http://levgreenfc.co.uk/event/200208f/

On 09/02/2020 at 08:03, Elmo said:

Rhodes it was a team made up of reserves and youth players and they were outstanding,  good crowd of 182 turned up so all in all a good day,  realistically it’s gonna be tough going for the rest of the season, starting at north Greenford on Tuesday ,  hopefully a couple of more experienced local lads will sign on  to help out

So have all the players who were previously at the club getting paid under the big budget left? That's  very credible that a young home grown team stepped up and had such a resounding win. 

Do you know if there's still a budget at the club or will they finish the campaign with the players who played on Saturday with a much smaller pot? 

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 08:03, Elmo said:

:wow: that makes last Saturdays result even better.

Rhodes you may remember me from Brache Sparta many moons ago . After  Managing the Ressies at Tring Ath since 2012/13 I've been asked to Manage the First Team with James Shaw .  Understandably all but 2 players left with the change in circumstance and we had to,effectively start again. 

The aim is to bring the Club back to its local roots and hopefully progress on and off the pitch in the right direction. 

No one has decried the hard work put in to date this season and we will still make every attempt to finish as high as possible ! 

The group of lads we've got from the Ressies and Cliff Hercules's U 18s  will run through brick walls for us and for a lot of them it's a great opportunity. 

• 2 months later...

Over eighty photos from an exciting Hertfordshire FA Senior Cup First Round tie at Top Field last term, on 7 November 2018, between Hitchin Town and Tring Athletic which the home side won narrowly 2-1 with Tring Athletic taking a first half lead through Jack Read before surrendering it in the second period:

https://hitchintownfc.club/event/hitchin-town-v-tring-athletic-07-nov-2018/

Hitchin Town 2-1 Tring Athletic