Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Former SSML News

Enfield Til It Died - You're burning the midnight oil aren't you posting at 2.30am. I'm sure if I paid on the turnstile I would get in to watch a game at Coles Park, it's not like back in the day when there was no turnstile and dear old Johnny Flynn took your money on the gate and gave you a programme, God rest his soul. I'm sure if you ask some people they would wish they could turn the clock back to those less stressful times in the SSML, Secretary John Bacon included.

10 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Enfield Til It Died - You're burning the midnight oil aren't you posting at 2.30am. I'm sure if I paid on the turnstile I would get in to watch a game at Coles Park, it's not like back in the day when there was no turnstile and dear old Johnny Flynn took your money on the gate and gave you a programme, God rest his soul. I'm sure if you ask some people they would wish they could turn the clock back to those less stressful times in the SSML, Secretary John Bacon included.

The last time you did that, Chairman Aki returned your money and asked you to leave.

Not sure if he has changed his stance. 

On 30/05/2021 at 15:07, petethegreek said:

The last time you did that, Chairman Aki returned your money and asked you to leave

Well it's interesting you should bring that up as I had my young son Daniel with me who was really looking forward to the game and he burst into tears when we couldn't get in, what does that tell you, Johnny Flynn was on the gate and he was shaking his head. 

12 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Well it's interesting you should bring that up as I had my young son Daniel with me who was really looking forward to the game and he burst into tears when we couldn't get in, what does that tell you, Johnny Flynn was on the gate and he was shaking his head. 

I'm going with, you're banned.

• 5 months later...

Some news relating to former SSML Club Park View, there was a nasty stabbing incident after their Eastern Counties League Division One South fixture with Newbury Forest at the New River Sports Centre on Wednesday 27 October: 

Police investigating after footballer stabbed following alleged clash with opposition (twnews.co.uk)

22 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Some news relating to former SSML Club Park View, there was a nasty stabbing incident after their Eastern Counties League Division One South fixture with Newbury Forest at the New River Sports Centre on Wednesday 27 October: 

Police investigating after footballer stabbed following alleged clash with opposition (twnews.co.uk)

Yes, I saw that, absolutely disgusting. I believe Newbury Forest have a reputation for violence, intimidation and the like, perhaps the club and everyone associated should be banned from football. 

Winslow Boy - I don't think that Park View are exactly choir boys are they, weren't there a number of 'altercations' when the Cub were in the SSML for four seasons.

Edited by Rhodes

2 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Winslow Boy - I don't think that Park View are exactly choir boys are they, weren't there a number of 'altercations' when the Cub were in the SSML for four seasons.

I’m not sure, plenty of teams with plenty of mouth. Didn’t ever see them play or hear much about them, the pandemic seasons are a blur. 

Park View were on their best behaviour for most of the time while in the SSML.  However, prior to that, they had been expelled from the Middlesex League for 'assaults on match officials'.  Which is why they spent three seasons in the Amateur Football Alliance before applying to the SSML. 

• 6 months later...

I see that former SSML CIub Edgware Town have changed their name to Edgware & kingsbury FC, I know one person who won't be happy:   

Billede

People will have their own thoughts, obviously, but in my view this is actually not a bad move.  Although, if anything, it comes eight years too late.

Over the years I have run into a number of old Kingsbury Town supporters who flatly refuse to watch Edgware, (or Hendon), at Silver Jubilee Park, regarding them as little more than opportunists.

If the Club had embraced the reality of the situation back in 2014, and changed their name as soon as they moved in, then these people may well have climbed aboard.

Still, better late than never, and I wish them well.  Who knows, it may even give Barnet ideas...  

On 16/05/2022 at 07:50, Rhodes said:

I see that former SSML CIub Edgware Town have changed their name to Edgware & kingsbury FC, I know one person who won't be happy:   

Billede

?

You will never please everyone as they say.

• 2 months later...

ShiIIington FC were founder members of the SSML back in the day weren't they untiI they sadIy Ieft the League at the end of the 2004/05 campaign: 

May be an image of 12 people, people standing and text that says "Shillingon Football Club South Midlands Football League Season 1979/80 පරරද R.Crawley, N.Lewis, W.Morgan, B.Baines, P.Stack, P.Toyer, S.Richards J.Prince, .Harnama A.Catling, D.Harnaman, P.Brooker, J.Bascom"

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

ShiIIington FC were founder members of the SSML back in the day weren't they untiI they sadIy Ieft the League at the end of the 2004/05 campaign: 

May be an image of 12 people, people standing and text that says "Shillingon Football Club South Midlands Football League Season 1979/80 පරරද R.Crawley, N.Lewis, W.Morgan, B.Baines, P.Stack, P.Toyer, S.Richards J.Prince, .Harnama A.Catling, D.Harnaman, P.Brooker, J.Bascom"

Had some good teams too. Played a few times over there, quite a walk from changing to the pitch as I recall. 

• 4 weeks later...

August 20th 2022.   FA Cup Preliminary Round.   AFC Dunstable v Edgware & Kingsbury   2-2  (0-1).

Well, credit where credit is due, they say.  And so it's a huge 'well done' to Rak Hudson's Edgware & Kingsbury side following their 2-2 draw at Southern League AFC Dunstable.  E&K were never intimidated by their Step 4 opponents, took the game to them, and were good value for their 1-0 halftime lead, the first goal AFCD had conceded this season.

The E&K defence dozed off just after the interval, and allowed AFCD to equalise with a free header, and so when AFCD went ahead on 73 minutes with the harshest of penalty awards, it appeared to be game over.  Not so, however, and despite E&K missing a penalty of their own in the 92nd minute, an unbelievable 96th minute free-kick deceived everyone and somehow found its way into the corner of the AFCD net.

A great performance then, and undoubtedly the best E&K result under Hudson's leadership.  Can they finish the job on Tuesday ?  Well clearly, AFCD must still be favourites, and will now know what to expect from E&K.  On Saturday, though, it was noticeable how quick the AFCD players were to turn on each other once they went behind, so if E&K can get into them early on, and unsettle them, then they certainly still have chances.     

Agamemnon3 - Not SSML but just to say how sad I was to hear of the passing of David Armstrong, I saw him pIay for MiddIesbrough many times: 

Tributes paid as Middlesbrough great David 'Spike' Armstrong dies aged 67

First things first -- David Armstrong.

Extremely sorry to hear of David's passing, though I believe he had been unwell for some time and in recent years had been largely wheelchair-bound.

358 consecutive appearances for MFC, most of them in the top flight.  Throw in friendlies and testimonials, and his actual run was well over four hundred games.

I only met him once, and he was just as you would expect, a genuinely gentle man, modest and polite, ready to talk about anyone's talents except his own.

Short and slight of build, it is worth remembering just how deceptively tough David was.  In one game, (0-0 v Bolton ?), he came off after forty minutes with a badly-gashed ankle.  Minutes later, another MFC player limped off, unable to continue.  Only one sub in those days, so during the interval David, (without anaesthetic), had six stitches put into his ankle, and then went out and played the second half.

A cliche, I know, but they really don't make them like that any more...       

August 23rd.  FA Cup Replay.  Edgware & Kingsbury v AFC Dunstable, 1-0 (aet).

A stunning rearguard action from E&K, on the back foot for most of the game, but won in the 120th minute by a penalty from Craig Tompkins, who had already missed one penalty after 77 minutes.  

AFCD were furious with the penalty award, for handball, and they may well have some justification, as it seemed extremely harsh to me, but they are such a mouthy, whiny, petulant bunch that it is hard to have much sympathy for them.

So, after some very uninspiring pre-season results, it is now five games unbeaten for E&K.  Some tough games to come, certainly, with Leverstock Green tomorrow, quickly followed by London Lions on Monday, but right now Rak Hudson's men are buzzing, and rightly so.  Well done to all of them.   

Agamemnon3 - It sounds like you are slowly warming to Edgware & Kingsbury and their underrated supremo Rak Hudson, I admire a man who admits he was wrong and then gives praise where praise is due. Pre-season friendlies do not seem to be anything to go by these days, Leverstock Green is a good example of that who conceded 32 goals and lost at home to Totternhoe before beating Risborough Rangers in their first League game three days later. Was there any sign of GRS67 on Tuesday evening, he seems to have gone to ground of late or may just be waiting for the dust to settle before making a return to Silver Jubilee Park, he will always bleed green and white.