Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Lewes

seemgee

Season after season of constant change and constant inconsistency. Two decent performances followed by two poor one's..One poor half followed by one decent half..Very rarely have we produced a settled starting 11 playing a settled system/formation over the last 3-4 seasons.

Cannot see our cautious and pragmatic board changing manager halfway through a season unless relegation becomes a real possibility but as it stands i feel a change will have to be made at the end of this campaign.

Edited by lovely stuff

13 hours ago, Benjrider10 said:

Listened to the commentary first half and it was clear how flat the performance was. We’re missing the drive and enthusiasm that players like Percy K brought last season. Conceding so many goals so regularly - something needs to change on the playing side.

The manager has his critics (plenty of them) but deserves credit for fronting up in post-match interviews - plenty wouldn’t. Supporters aren’t known for their patience but that’s what is needed now.

Fronting up in post match interviews isn’t really helping performances on the pitch. 

6 hours ago, andyetfc said:

Fronting up in post match interviews isn’t really helping performances on the pitch. 

Yeah...talks the talk...can't manage to manage?!?!?

Becoming increasingly hard to defend these Jekyll and Hyde performances - 0-4 down at home and game over, in spite of the two goals we pulled back. I do however think Andy still has some credit/leeway based on last season's performances, and the fact that we were minutes away from a play-off final. I think LS makes a very good point here:

On 16/10/2022 at 09:47, lovely stuff said:

Cannot see our cautious and pragmatic board changing manager halfway through a season unless relegation becomes a real possibility but as it stands i feel a change will have to be made at the end of this campaign.

changing management team mid season with no pre-season, starting from scratch, potentially losing a chunk of our squad etc. etc. should be an absolute last resort if things are obviously going south. Whilst we've been frustratingly inconsistent (and pretty terrible when we've been bad), we are actually still in a reasonable league position, albeit having played a few more games than others around us. Seems like a season where a lot of teams are dropping points regularly, although we can't keep relying on this, and have to get our own house in order sooner rather than later. If there are players who aren't listening to tactics/instructions, and aren't regularly at 100% commitment/effort then we need to move them on and get in players who are and it's up to the manager to do that.

Getting bored of saying that now is the time for a reaction, but the reaction we need has to be a run of 5+ games where we don't roll over and effectively give up, not another 1 or 2 decent performances immediately followed by being 0-4 down again... here's hoping🙄

I think it would be a mistake to wait until May/June to make a change. It will take time to identify a replacement and then that replacement will have to assemble a squad. I would much rather they have an opportunity to begin the rebuilding process before the summer break and pre-season. I agree that AL does have credit in the bank which is the reason I can't see the Board doing anything decisive just yet. We need a complete change though. Any thoughts on whether Mario might be up to the job? Or would that simply be more of the same? Otherwise you've got younger managers such as Billy Cove, Luke Tuffs etc.

2 hours ago, The Crowing Cockerel said:

I think it would be a mistake to wait until May/June to make a change. It will take time to identify a replacement and then that replacement will have to assemble a squad. I would much rather they have an opportunity to begin the rebuilding process before the summer break and pre-season. I agree that AL does have credit in the bank which is the reason I can't see the Board doing anything decisive just yet. We need a complete change though. Any thoughts on whether Mario might be up to the job? Or would that simply be more of the same? Otherwise you've got younger managers such as Billy Cove, Luke Tuffs etc.

I'd be keeping an eye on what Nicky Ironton is doing at Walthamstow this season. i think he could have all the makings of a very good manager at this level.

Get an uptick for the last post Andy, A  team 3-0 down at half time is not a team in a challenging position but a team in dire straits. Then to concede another goal soon in the next half, the board and Andy must have been considering changes or they are not doing their job.

To get 2 goals back and show some spirit in the last 30 minutes does not excuse the dross dished up in the first hour. We need a system that uses the talents we have got. We have 2 good forwards in Cunnington and Cass but how often do we see them playing together. Cunnington can get the long balls forward that we continue to play but he needs support which Cass can give. We know that Youngs can support the forwards but needs support in midfield behind him. IMV he is wasted working in front of the back line. As for the back line how often do they get forward.

Lewes players put in 100%  effort all over the park challenging our players when they had the ball. Often 2 onto one and Town players not going to support or making themselve available.  Too often our backs/wingers do not get to the bye line but pump the ball in from wide of the edge of the penalty area which is easier for the goalkeeper to collect as it is coming towards them and not away from  them.  This is demonstrated as it was well into the second half when we got our first corner.

Well rant over. I will be at Cray tomorrow and hope to see better organisation, more effort, more pace and mort spirit.