Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Play offs

I see a lot of people now talking about the playoffs.This got me to thinking that most  clubs seem to naturally end up playing in the league and at the level they are destined to.Ive read that the step up from NLS to the National league is a big one both in player skill level and more importantly financially.I haven't lived in the Slough area since the late 80s but I still follow Slough Town on the forum,x and now I can get their matches on the tv.I just wondered what league do people think is Slough Towns level and also with talk of the playoffs do people think going up to the National League would be good for the club if indeed viable.

In my opinion, it’s way too early to think about play-offs, I think the new owners said it might be a five year plan.

It’s worth noting that the four sides promoted last season are all likely to be relegated back this season, and three of the four relegated from the National League last season are likely to go back up this season. Likely a sign that the step up is getting greater every season.

Personally, I think the average attendances would need to more than double, & at least half a million pounds a season would be needed to compete successfully in the National League.

I can’t see both of those happening, but with good management over the next few seasons I can see us knocking around the top 10 & occasionally making appearances in the play-offs.

13 hours ago, Richie Baker said:

I see a lot of people now talking about the playoffs.This got me to thinking that most  clubs seem to naturally end up playing in the league and at the level they are destined to.Ive read that the step up from NLS to the National league is a big one both in player skill level and more importantly financially.I haven't lived in the Slough area since the late 80s but I still follow Slough Town on the forum,x and now I can get their matches on the tv.I just wondered what league do people think is Slough Towns level and also with talk of the playoffs do people think going up to the National League would be good for the club if indeed viable.

Some supporters have the view that we shouldn't get promoted yet because we are not ready for it and if we did go up it could ruin the club financially for years to come.

So when will we be ready for the big step up?

Unless something miraculous happens we will never be in a position to financially compete with most of the clubs in the NL who have rich owners and get much bigger crowds.

So does that mean we've reached our pinnacle and should never look to get promoted unless a miracle happens and some mega rich person/s comes along?

There's no doubt, like most of the clubs that get promoted into the NL, without a huge investment we'd struggle to survive at that level.

If we then got relegated and so long as we haven't spent more than we can afford trying to stay up we would just re-group back in the NLS.

The problems come when a club over spends and then with a huge debt spirals down the leagues.

Football is all about the dream of getting promotion and competing against bigger, better clubs otherwise whats the point?

4 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

Some supporters have the view that we shouldn't get promoted yet because we are not ready for it and if we did go up it could ruin the club financially for years to come.

So when will we be ready for the big step up?

Unless something miraculous happens we will never be in a position to financially compete with most of the clubs in the NL who have rich owners and get much bigger crowds.

So does that mean we've reached our pinnacle and should never look to get promoted unless a miracle happens and some mega rich person/s comes along?

There's no doubt, like most of the clubs that get promoted into the NL, without a huge investment we'd struggle to survive at that level.

If we then got relegated and so long as we haven't spent more than we can afford trying to stay up we would just re-group back in the NLS.

The problems come when a club over spends and then with a huge debt spirals down the leagues.

Football is all about the dream of getting promotion and competing against bigger, better clubs otherwise whats the point?

Excellent post..... The problem isn't getting promoted too soon, the problem comes with desperation when struggling at the level above.

I too would love to go up at a point just to experience the big sides coming down to AP on a regular but if we went back down I wouldn't be too bothered as the National South is about our natural level at this stage

1 hour ago, Mark44 said:

Excellent post..... The problem isn't getting promoted too soon, the problem comes with desperation when struggling at the level above.

I too would love to go up at a point just to experience the big sides coming down to AP on a regular but if we went back down I wouldn't be too bothered as the National South is about our natural level at this stage

Desperation mustn't equal throwing more money at it, money the club cannot afford.

You get promoted within your means and you get relegated within your means.

Clubs that are badly run chasing a dream will either disappear off the radar lower down the pyramid or at worst go bust.

Edited by Reading Rebel

Personally I’d love to see the Rebels play in the National League bringing back fond memories when we were last in it. Unfortunately for us this league is now worlds apart from the one we know and is in effect League 3. Unless we suddenly had a massive injection of funds we would quite likely be relegated straight away and witness a few hammerings which wouldn’t be that fun would it? I think to have a chance of survival at that level you either need average crowds in excess of 2,000, a rich owner or both!

I've fallen out of love with football at the moment but would like Slough to progress to play in the National League at some point.

Currently the club seems at the right level being in the NLS given it's attendances and the boards knowledge of running a football club/finances available for signing players, if anything we're probably 'punching above our weight '.

Solely on a personal level I prefer attending games one division down [Southern Premier/Isthmian League] as at this level it seems friendlier somehow. The matches seem less about the money. And doesn't have the emphasis on the need to be professional and the win at all costs mentality. Strangely having watched Slough playing at the pinnacle of non league football ie Conference, I discovered after watching Slough at all these different levels over the years that I actually prefer watching the lower level/grass roots semi pro game - step 3 and step 4 !

You did ask, ha ha !

4 hours ago, 3spirit said:

I've fallen out of love with football at the moment but would like Slough to progress to play in the National League at some point.

Currently the club seems at the right level being in the NLS given it's attendances and the boards knowledge of running a football club/finances available for signing players, if anything we're probably 'punching above our weight '.

Solely on a personal level I prefer attending games one division down [Southern Premier/Isthmian League] as at this level it seems friendlier somehow. The matches seem less about the money. And doesn't have the emphasis on the need to be professional and the win at all costs mentality. Strangely having watched Slough playing at the pinnacle of non league football ie Conference, I discovered after watching Slough at all these different levels over the years that I actually prefer watching the lower level/grass roots semi pro game - step 3 and step 4 !

You did ask, ha ha !

3spirit, why have you fallen out of love with football?

You're obviously right on the bit about current attendances being nowhere near good enough for the NL but they would obviously increase dramatically (how much we don't know) if we ever got promoted. 

Our new owners are very new and lacking in experience and knowledge in running a football club but as far as finances go we don't really know what their true worth is apart from it's not millions. They've certainly stabilized the club and put us on a firm footing for the future. 

'One division down seems friendlier and doesn't have the emphasis on the need to be professional and win at all costs'

I've experienced most levels of non league and haven't found one more friendly than the other, I've found then all to be as friendly as each other.  

You've only got to listen to managers or players interviews when they've lost or going through a bad patch at levels below us to see that it really is only winning and being successful that counts which is how it should be if you're a competitive sportsman.

Edited by Reading Rebel