Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Slough v Bath

6 minutes ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Mr Gill saying " Weren't me Guv, honest. Blame the referee".

This directly contradicts what we (the fans behind the goal) were told, which was that the referee was forced to call the game off due to Mr Gill's refusal to continue, and that the decision to continue the match has to be unanimous so this forced the referee's hand.

I won't post them on here, but if anyone's got Twitter/X it's worth taking a look at some of the comments on our and Bath City's posts on today's events, which include a few from one or two of our players. To say they're unimpressed is an understatement.

Im sure the only person who can call a game off is the match referee certainly not players or managers If one manager did refuse to accept the refs decision to restart the game then the game and the points should be awarded to the Rebels  Be interesting to see what the refs match report and the FA have to say.

Edited by Irishadrian
Spelling

26 minutes ago, Irishadrian said:

Im sure the only person who can call a game off is the match referee certainly not players or managers If one manager did refuse to accept the refs decision to restart the game then the game and the points should be awarded to the Rebels  Be interesting to see what the refs match report and the FA have to say.

Scotts post match report makes it obvious that the ref decided to continue the game and Bath refused    This game should be awarded to the Rebels

If we do appeal surely we can use the fact we got fined  during Covid times not to play. That was when it was clear the league was going to be abandoned. Not during a very important league game with two play off chasing teams. The league set a precedent there and I hope they do the same with Bath now. 

Firstly it's good to hear that the supporter is better, I do know him and that he travels from Taunton every home game. Hopefully he will be well enough to go to the game on tuesday.

secondly just like to say what a superb day it was yesterday for Thames Hospice day. I personally have had to call upon the services of the staff there and know the incredible work they all do, everyone of them are hero's in my mind, it was so sad that they couldn't finish the day off as they planned.

and lastly the abandonment, I hope the Bath management slept well last night ( I imagine they probably did ) if that what it takes to get promotion then I don't want it, you need to take a long good look at yourselves in the mirror. I'll take our management team anyday, they are and were totally class yesterday.

Very sad to see that in some minds 3 points is more important than anything else no matter how you get them.

Very proud to support such an amazing special club.

COYR

I have to admit the first time I heard the old 75th minute rule so result stands was no longer a thing was last season, my mates team were 4-1 up in a cup final when it had to be stopped then abandoned due to an injury with a few minutes left.

They I guess thought the result would stand but no got told that had been scrapped with the whole match having to be replayed, thank fully they ended up winning but were gutted at the time.

For me I guess if the match has to be replayed I think it should start with the scoreline at the point the abandoned match stopped as you are simply punishing the club that have done nothing wrong but I guess that's too simplistic.

National League Rule 8.20

Any match which is not of ninety minutes duration may be
ordered to stand as a completed match or replayed for the full period of ninety minutes or be
awarded to the Club not at fault, as the Board may decide, on such terms as the Board shall
decide.

So it’s up to the National League what happens next.

I thought that the referee was in control of a match at all times & a manager or individual team had no right to abandon a match. 

There does appear to be a rule covering this at County FA level, but I’m not sure if it applies to all levels of the game:-

Rule 20 (E) (IV)
The Management Committee shall review all Competition Matches abandoned in cases where it is consequent upon the conduct of either or both Teams. Where it is to the advantage of the Competition and does no injustice to either Club, the Management
 Committee shall order the score at the time of the abandonment to stand. In all cases where the Management Committee are satisfied that a Match was abandoned owing to the conduct of one Team or its Club member(s) they shall award the points for the Match to the opponent. In cases where a Match has been abandoned owing to the conduct of both Teams or their Club member(s), the Management Committee shall rule that neither Team will be awarded any points for that Match and it shall not be replayed. No fine(s) can be applied by the Management Committee for an abandoned Match.

16 minutes ago, RoyalRebel said:

National League Rule 8.20

Any match which is not of ninety minutes duration may be
ordered to stand as a completed match or replayed for the full period of ninety minutes or be
awarded to the Club not at fault, as the Board may decide, on such terms as the Board shall
decide.

So it’s up to the National League what happens next.

That rule is in place across the non-league pyramid. Maybe a decade ago now a Redditch player punched the referee at Chesham, the game was abandoned with us winning and the Southern League ordered the game to be replayed

In the end we had to take it to an FA appeal at Wembley to have the results stand, and not set a precedent that if you're losing you can just punch the ref and get the game abandoned

Unfortunately I think it's very likely that you will have to replay the game - doubt the FA will see what Bath have done as anywhere near as bad as the Redditch player.

I'm pretty sure most clubs across football will have done what Bath did unfortunately, it's easy to say you wouldn't do it if you aren't in that situation/opportunity but football is a cynical game and ultimately come season end all that matters is the table & points, how they are achieved is mostly irrelevant

Cynical I know but fact of life

My timeline of events yesterday goes like this.

4.09  second half kicks off.

4.34 second half is stopped after 25 minutes play because of an incident in the crowd.

4.41 players go back into the dressing room.

4.56 the game is abandoned.

So the players were back in the dressing room for 15 minutes when we were told that the game wouldn't continue.

According to my watch  the halftime break lasted longer.

I guess that Mr Gill thinks that the" success" of getting the game abandoned and the chance of getting a point or three in a rearranged fixture, is worth the permanent stain on his  character and sporting integrity.

Edited by Holyport Rebel

9 hours ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

So if Bath get away with this, does that mean that every time we are losing someone in the crowd can "go down" and we get the match replayed?

Yes it does. Just like if you Hit the ref on the head with a bottle when you are losing you get the chance to play again and win . Remember the Banbury disgrace ? This is nowhere near as bad as that so if the ‘authorities’ won’t stand up to violence to influence the result what chance they make a stand against mere cynical opportunistic gamesmanship? 
keep your Tuesday evenings free as I have no faith in their integrity. 

Edited by Stan

1 hour ago, cufcgeneral said:

That rule is in place across the non-league pyramid. Maybe a decade ago now a Redditch player punched the referee at Chesham, the game was abandoned with us winning and the Southern League ordered the game to be replayed

In the end we had to take it to an FA appeal at Wembley to have the results stand, and not set a precedent that if you're losing you can just punch the ref and get the game abandoned

Unfortunately I think it's very likely that you will have to replay the game - doubt the FA will see what Bath have done as anywhere near as bad as the Redditch player.

I'm pretty sure most clubs across football will have done what Bath did unfortunately, it's easy to say you wouldn't do it if you aren't in that situation/opportunity but football is a cynical game and ultimately come season end all that matters is the table & points, how they are achieved is mostly irrelevant

Cynical I know but fact of life

You may well be right General but for most people at this level winning is nice but not the be all and end all .

if that was all I cared about I would go and watch Man City .

I hope that our club has an ethos that would not even consider doing that. 
The irony of it being on a day when despite the importance of the game the club were going all out to support the local Hospice , getting our second highest league attendance at Arbour Park and welcoming hordes of new faces to football at our level makes it all the more galling. 
I hope when (inevitably) we are forced to play ,some good comes out of it .

maybe the club could let everyone in for free with a suggested £5 donation to the hospice. Pack out Arbour park even more and create the kind of atmosphere that will make Bath wish they had taken their punishment at the time. 

33 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yes it does. Just like if you Hit the ref on the head with a bottle when you are losing you get the chance to play again and win . Remember the Didcot disgrace ?

That was at Banbury, but yes it sets a terrible precedent and it's only a matter of time before some unscrupulous fans cotton on and take advantage. 

I think we will find that the key to what the outcome is will be whether the referee abandoned the match or if the Bath manager abandoned the match.

If it was the Bath manager then the result should stand, if not it will set a precedent for similar unscrupulous behaviour by other managers & clubs in the future.