Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Slough v Bath

2 minutes ago, Curtis said:

I think we will find that the key to what the outcome is will be whether the referee abandoned the match or if the Bath manager abandoned the match.

If it was the Bath manager then the result should stand, if not it will set a precedent for similar unscrupulous behaviour by other managers & clubs in the future.

As I understand it a manager himself cannot officially abandon a match, but can force the referee to call it off. Any manager or team can do this at any time by simply refusing to play. Whether they're right to do so is another matter entirely.

My understanding is that with yesterday's circumstances, the decision to continue the match has to be unanimous i.e. both managers must agree (that is to say each manager has an effective veto) and Jerry Gill did not agree. Therefore the referee literally had no choice but to abandon the match.

It might be worth saving that Jerry Gill interview for any potential FA appeal as he also states he got his tactics dreadfully wrong in the first half (leading to them being 4-0 down) & had a limited squad because of injuries…… neither of which can be in anyway justifiable reasons for not playing the remaining 20 minutes.

5 minutes ago, Curtis said:

It might be worth saving that Jerry Gill interview for any potential FA appeal as he also states he got his tactics dreadfully wrong in the first half (leading to them being 4-0 down) & had a limited squad because of injuries…… neither of which can be in anyway justifiable reasons for not playing the remaining 20 minutes.

The legal minimum number of players needed to fulfil a fixture I believe is 7, so he'd have needed a lot of injuries to not complete the match.

Edited by Nathan

It would be nice to think that the Bath City F.C.  board/directors have a higher ethical moral code than the sad, petulant, desperate excuse for a human being that they have for a manager, and would say to the relevant authorities that rather than have the good name of their club dragged through the gutter they would prefer to have the result of the match stand.

Ain't going to happen though, is it.

7 minutes ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

We know they are unpredictable at the best of times.

At least there's not enough time for the National League to do what the Southern League did, when they waited until April to decide on a fixture that was abandoned in September.

But league's aren't renowned for their common sense: the same Southern League made us play an utterly meaningless league match at Woodford United on the Monday after we played (and lost) in the play-offs on the Thursday!

2 hours ago, Curtis said:

I think we will find that the key to what the outcome is will be whether the referee abandoned the match or if the Bath manager abandoned the match.

If it was the Bath manager then the result should stand, if not it will set a precedent for similar unscrupulous behaviour by other managers & clubs in the future.

Only the referee can abandon a match. Subsequent actions depend on why he abandoned it Bath claim he abandoned it having spoken to officials of both teams and agreed to the abandonment having listened to the objections to continuing the game  We say he still wanted to restart but  Bath said no  In those circumstances he should have told them that  would lose the 3 points as only he could authorise an abandonment As Scott says the key is the refs report I suspect he may say that he and his colleagues wanted to continue but were persuaded by objections not to We must see what he says officially.

2 hours ago, ben28383838 said:

On another note , does anyone know where Eze was yesterday and any update on dyce?

To answer your question about Eze Ben:

8 hours ago, Holyport Rebel said:

My timeline of events yesterday goes like this.

4.09  second half kicks off.

4.34 second half is stopped after 25 minutes play because of an incident in the crowd.

4.41 players go back into the dressing room.

4.56 the game is abandoned.

So the players were back in the dressing room for 15 minutes when we were told that the game wouldn't continue.

According to my watch  the halftime break lasted longer.

I guess that Mr Gill thinks that the" success" of getting the game abandoned and the chance of getting a point or three in a rearranged fixture, is worth the permanent stain on his  character and sporting integrity.

I'm pretty sure Gill doesn't care what people think of him.

It's win at all costs for him even if it means lying and cheating.

Edited by Reading Rebel

22 hours ago, Nathan said:

Have these things always meant match abandonments? I've been following the Rebels since 1999 and in nearly 25 years I can only recall this sort of thing happening during a Slough match once before, and as I recall the match didn't even stop.

But medical emergency or not, timing is no guarantee that a result will stand. Scunthorpe vs Buxton earlier this season in the NL North was abandoned due to torrential rain in the 95th minute, yet replayed in it's entirety.

This is what we were told by someone who was (presumably) in the know. Often the referee's hand's are tied in these circumstances. I'm just staggered that he's done this when his team had just scored 2 goals and were in the ascendency. With 20 minutes left to play, they could have got something. Yet they now have to come back to Arbour Park in midweek for the replayed game! Total lunacy, and cynical beyond belief.

Nathan, Bath had to score 2 goals in 20 minutes just to get a point and 3 goals to get all three points, although it's always possible the odds were much better to come back down the M4 on a Tuesday night and start from scratch.   

22 hours ago, Nathan said:

This directly contradicts what we (the fans behind the goal) were told, which was that the referee was forced to call the game off due to Mr Gill's refusal to continue, and that the decision to continue the match has to be unanimous so this forced the referee's hand.

If you believe what the lying weasel is saying.

6 hours ago, Curtis said:

Curtis a manager cannot abandon a match.

Do you men was it the refs sole decision to abandon the game or because of what Gill said to him about player welfare?

If the ref is honest in his report and states that Gill didn't want to re start the game because his players were cold due to the 20 minute delay fearing they would pick up a hamstring injury you would like to think the NL would see this as absolute bunkum and not a valid reason to ask for the game to be abandoned.

As HR pointed out players have a longer break for half time so what's the difference.

Unfortunately it is the NL we're talking about so I don't think logical thinking will come into it.

I wonder what stance Bath would have taken had they been 4-2 up when the match came to a halt.

At best, their actions yesterday undermined the principles of fair play and sportsmanship, at worst their actions were blatant cheating. It would be interesting to see the report which the referee submits to the league  -  and what subsequent action the league would take. 

We all await the outcome with bated breath.

1 hour ago, Reading Rebel said:

Bath had to score 2 goals in 20 minutes just to get a point and 3 goals to get all three points, although it's always possible the odds were much better to come back down the M4 on a Tuesday night and start from scratch.   

RR I just thought that having to come to Arbour Park again (this time on a Tuesday night) would be an added inconvenience that most managers would like to avoid if at all possible. (No doubt we'll be forced to pay their travel costs again)

1 hour ago, Reading Rebel said:

If you believe what the lying weasel is saying.

I certainly don't; I trust Scott's version of events, you can tell from the reaction of some of out players on Twitter/X alone that Mr. Gill has seriously upset people, and this doesn't happen without good (or should that be bad) reason. I thought some of the Bath fans there were graceless as well.

And Gill's interview in the car par struck me as weasel words, designed to deflect blame (maybe I'm biased, and blind tribalism is taking hold 🤣). Now it all depends upon what the referee's report says.

45 minutes ago, Nathan said:

RR I just thought that having to come to Arbour Park again (this time on a Tuesday night) would be an added inconvenience that most managers would like to avoid if at all possible. (No doubt we'll be forced to pay their travel costs again)

I certainly don't; I trust Scott's version of events, you can tell from the reaction of some of out players on Twitter/X alone that Mr. Gill has seriously upset people, and this doesn't happen without good (or should that be bad) reason. I thought some of the Bath fans there were graceless as well.

And Gill's interview in the car par struck me as weasel words, designed to deflect blame (maybe I'm biased, and blind tribalism is taking hold 🤣). Now it all depends upon what the referee's report says.

I’m sure the host club only pay the oppositions travel costs in FA Cup (possibly Trophy) matches never for league matches.