Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Town v Cheshunt

What a cracking game that was👍

3-0 up at half time with goals which would have had Shearer and Lineaker marvelling over had they been on MOTD. However, it needed some resolute defending otherwise it could have been 3-3 at the break.

I’m just wondering if the message given out just prior to half time was an April 1st joke? Supporters from both clubs had been side by side in the bar and outside before the start of the match, yet they were asked to keep apart when walking from one end to the other! What did they then do? Mill around the shop and food and drink outlets.

i also think the club should do something about some of the chanting from behind the goal. Not pleasant, and certainly not needed.

With regard to the officials, I haven’t seen a better referee all season. 

Onwards and upwards, maybe?

57 minutes ago, andyetfc said:

What a cracking game that was👍

3-0 up at half time with goals which would have had Shearer and Lineaker marvelling over had they been on MOTD. However, it needed some resolute defending otherwise it could have been 3-3 at the break.

I’m just wondering if the message given out just prior to half time was an April 1st joke? Supporters from both clubs had been side by side in the bar and outside before the start of the match, yet they were asked to keep apart when walking from one end to the other! What did they then do? Mill around the shop and food and drink outlets.

i also think the club should do something about some of the chanting from behind the goal. Not pleasant, and certainly not needed.

With regard to the officials, I haven’t seen a better referee all season. 

Onwards and upwards, maybe?

I fully support your comment about some of the chanting/songs aimed at Cheshunt today, and can only assume the half-time 'one-way-system' was adopted due to the large number of bellends who turned up today for both sides (but won't turn up on a cold, wet Tuesday night v #United! 🤬)

Great goals/win though 👌🏻 

Edited by WXEn8

I'm guessing it was because of the large gate, and the fact that there can be pinch points (tunnel and by the small stand on the far side), if everyone circulates around the ground in the same (clockwise) direction, you don't end up with loads of people trying to squeeze through in opposite directions - seems like a pretty good idea, and seemed to work well. I'll try to comment on the game in a bit, but very pleased with the performance, first half was as good as I've seen us play for quite a while and 3 cracking goals!

Jake Cass may not have ended up on the score sheet, but he was immense today! Showed exactly what we have been missing this season - tenacity, the ability to hold the ball up and lay it off. Man of the match for me - and he only played 60mins! Also the best I've seen Taylor Mackenzie play in a Town shirt. Are we the finished article? Definitely not, but Gavin might just get us into the top 5 in his first season which would be an immense achievement!

Cass was so good, seems like he's basically spent 6 months down the gym since his injury, he was so strong and physical (and mobile too), and it was mainly that that got us up the pitch and made the ball stick to allow space on the ball for 3 bits of quality from Taaffe, Youngs and Wyllie. I would not have liked to have been a centre half playing against him this afternoon!

1 hour ago, Barney said:

I'm guessing it was because of the large gate, and the fact that there can be pinch points (tunnel and by the small stand on the far side), if everyone circulates around the ground in the same (clockwise) direction, you don't end up with loads of people trying to squeeze through in opposite directions - seems like a pretty good idea, and seemed to work well. I'll try to comment on the game in a bit, but very pleased with the performance, first half was as good as I've seen us play for quite a while and 3 cracking goals!

Good point. Did make me laugh when Andy told all the Spurs supporters to go the other way.

Makes you think what the club needs to do to the ground should promotion come around?

Edited by andyetfc

On the pitch, a top top performance. Both centre halves were great and I lost count of the blocks (putting bodies on the line) our lads did to keep the clean sheet. 

Cass looks better than before he left. So physical and a nightmare for any defence. The finishing for all three goals was also a pleasure to witness. 

Off the pitch, we seem to have found a bunch of kids who just like to push and shove each other and add virtually nothing to the club (in my opinion) other than drop a tonne of litter for someone else to pick up. The chanting towards the Cheshunt manager was particularly unpleasant and unwanted at a family club. 

Also the club must do somthing about the bar and movement around the clubhouse/stairs. Anything over say 800 in attendance and the facilities simply can’t cope and become dangerous.

52 minutes ago, andyetfc said:

Good point. Did make me laugh when Andy told all the Spurs supporters to go the other way.

Makes you think what the club needs to do to the ground should promotion come around?

52 minutes ago, andyetfc said:

Need 1 or two new stands behind the goals for a start. Got soaked today! 

Edited by Comet

Funny i lived in Cheshunt for 20 years and watched them many times and never had any animosity towards them yet now every time i hear their pathetic chants and see those little scum bags i just want to stuff it up them… yes some of the chants towards Edwards were not nice but some of the abuse towards Taylor as soon as he walked out we’re pretty bad… just accept this is a one off local derby where feelings run high and in general our young supporters behave very well and the support is much appreciated….

As stated the goals were really top class but as andyetfc put it could easily have been a lot closer… Tanner deserved MOM … Am i alone in wishing we would continue to press forward in the second half…. i always feel we are vulnerable with a lead when we drop deep… 

49 minutes ago, WHY DO I BOTHER said:

Funny i lived in Cheshunt for 20 years and watched them many times and never had any animosity towards them yet now every time i hear their pathetic chants and see those little scum bags i just want to stuff it up them… yes some of the chants towards Edwards were not nice but some of the abuse towards Taylor as soon as he walked out we’re pretty bad… just accept this is a one off local derby where feelings run high and in general our young supporters behave very well and the support is much appreciated….

As stated the goals were really top class but as andyetfc put it could easily have been a lot closer… Tanner deserved MOM … Am i alone in wishing we would continue to press forward in the second half…. i always feel we are vulnerable with a lead when we drop deep… 

Agree in some part but this club cannot afford to let any group of so called supporters continually chant obscenities directed at an individual from the opposing club. They wouldn’t get away with it if they did the same out in the street. Probably wouldn’t say boo to a goose if they stood next to him.

Edited by andyetfc

Lots of comments about supporters but no comments about -

Flares before the game

Pint of beer thrown over Reece in goal

Flares on the pitch during the second half

And more important  - our Head Steward being punch by a Cheshunt supporter

Could be an interesting Referee report !!

Regarding the match - three super goals and some good defending from Town

Good summary OT….. Hope Colin is ok… Cheshunt unfortunately have picked up a few young shit heads… hopefully Margate hit some late form and we won’t have to see them scum next season……

But then again just seen their last 3 fixtures so not holding out much hope ☹️

Edited by WHY DO I BOTHER

21 minutes ago, OldTowner said:

Flares before the game

Of the incidents you mentioned I only saw the flare(s) onto the pitch. How the ref initially played on was an absolute joke. Thought he had a good game apart from that, including the easiest red he will have all season.

my focus isn’t on what others are doing but what we do. Our ‘fans’ have also thrown flares, Cheshunt away this season (you might recall).

Clearly this is now a higher category fixture and with a larger gate (and the income received) must be handled with an increased stewarding presence in return. 

I was concerned after the Cheshunt red Town players may react and get very unwanted suspensions. Credit for keeping cool. Great performance and however the season ends the management and players have been magnificent this season. 

9 hours ago, OldTowner said:

Flares before the game

Good points and I hope the appropriate authorities deal with all the issues raised. However, we still need to get our own house in order to safeguard our own club.