Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Town v Cheshunt

Interesting to read the above but a point you missed was a couple of Townie players goading our fans behind the goal.  Not exactly a bright thing to do given a large travelling amount of fans present . 

You're keeper after the first goal turned around with a gesture or two   . Later on I think it was Cass did the same after a blocked effort was cleared.  Not got any complaints about the score we were not at our best and you have hit a purple patch . 

This fixture is staring to attract unsavoury elements in both fan bases and I agree that extra stewards need to be in place next time we meet. 

Edited by Albury_Walker

Verbal abuse of players ( not officials) is part and parcel of football as long as it’s not racist … questioning a player’s parentage is not likely to bother many… flares are hardly a hanging offence are they… if you can’t accept a player responding to the abuse then you shouldn’t be shouting your mouth off in the first place… many players thrive on that interaction….physical violence and throwing beer is unacceptable and hopefully those responsible are caught….. Get on with it… cheer your team at the end and shake hands on the pitch… 

Been to many of the home game this year and don't think we'll see a better half than the first half, which seemed to go on and on, in a good way.    Both teams had chances and we could possibly have gone behind first and I'd argue that our goal was against the run of play.

Good performances all over the pitch....7 goals in the last two games and seems with Jake being a real presence up front now he is certainly making up for his prolonged absence.  

Probably won't see 3 better goals from different players and leaving the keeper with no chance.  

At the other end would argue our defence were amazing with making last ditch tackles and also some wayward finishing from our A10 opponents.

2nd half I thought there would be more goals but was similar to the Horsham game where all the scoring was in the first half.

Sad to see the situation off the pitch.  Past few seasons this has gradually worsened and I'm definitely not going down the route of "what about" as both teams clearly had elements who are neither wanted or what I would call fans as they're certainly not focussed on supporting their own teams and more set on the opponents.

Do agree that with increased numbers and after seeing the treatment of our steward that in future fixtures we'd probably have to go down the route of increased security/bodyworn cameras to identify the culprits(of both clubs) which I'm sure the increased gate would cover their cost.

Still, very good performance on the pitch and think that we could have had 5 or 6 potential men of the match.   Big game at DH next and I'm sure they'll be looking for a reversal of the result at our place earlier in the year.

14 hours ago, OldTowner said:

Lots of comments about supporters but no comments about -

Flares before the game

Pint of beer thrown over Reece in goal

Flares on the pitch during the second half

And more important  - our Head Steward being punch by a Cheshunt supporter

Could be an interesting Referee report !!

Regarding the match - three super goals and some good defending from Town

Hi 

Thanks for your concern about me taking a punch luckily for Me my body fat softened the blow.🤣

Totally agree we need more Stewards for these high profile games.

My thanks to the directors,the head groundsman,and Jack for not hesitating to put on a high vis when the going got tough.

Also many thanks to all the regular Stewards for all your efforts.

Appreciate you efforts.

I know the game was stopped for the stewards to come on and deal with the flares.   Would be interesting to know if anything was included in the referees report regarding the drink being thrown, fans confronting you and the idiot running on in sliders at the end.   

Glad to see that within minutes there was a stronger presence of groundstaff and stewards at that end.    Not a nice situation to be involved in so well done again for staying so calm.

Final thing on the referee:  By far the best I've seen at Donkey Lane this year.   Handled the last 10 minutes well when the termperature rose, just wonder if he could have had a word with the capt regarding the fan involvement but guess there was very little that could have been done at the time when he was perhaps focussing on the 22 players.    9/10 for his performance and think assistants were decent too so good to see a proficient team of official down there.

A proper local derby played in a good spirit and with two sets of committed players and supporters. Hugely impressive crowd, shows we could breach the 1,000 mark regularly if we play attractive football.

Our first half finishing was the difference - you won’t see 3 better taken goals in 45 minutes than those. Cheshunt had quite a few  chances but Rhys in goal was excellent and our back 4 threw themselves around to block several shots on goal. Considering most of the ETFC players had played just 2 days before, plus the weather, this was an outstanding performance. 

I agree with other posters (including Albury Walker) that the temperature of this local derby is rising. It is hard at our level to prevent fans from smuggling flares into the ground (no jokes about dodgy fitting trousers please). Scanners are unaffordable, police presence expensive and I don’t think fans will take kindly to being asked to show the contents of pockets / bags etc. to stewards at the turnstiles. That leaves clubs like ETFC and Cheshunt reliant on a degree of self-policing and I think the comments on this forum show that most fans are on board with this. The problem, as always, is the minority.

Edited by Benjrider10

"I don’t think fans will take kindly to being asked to show the contents of pockets / bags etc. to stewards at the turnstiles."

Anybody who goes to the theatre or to a BBC performance have their bags checked and a security search carried out. At a local Derby I am sure that this can be done.