Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

GFC ground update....

Gillingham football club have dropped plans for the new gound to be located at temple marsh. According to South east news from the BBC. Apparently there is a press conference tomorrow. I hope this doesn't mean they are going to try for a ground in gravesham crazy.gif

Have to wait and see what the press conference is about tomorrow I suppose

Page 4 of today's Reporter makes interesting reading 'Gills expected to announce plans'

'Leader of Gravesham Council John Burden has said that he would welcome Gillingham to Gravesend. He said "We have a site available with great transport links and enough land to fulfill Mr. Scally's aspirations" '.

It goes on to say that Brian K. has had numerous discussions with Mr. Scally and they will address the move 'in detail' if the Club decide to move out of Medway.

Not entirely sure whether 'they' means the respective Chairmen or the board at GNFC.

If we groundshare at a new site will anybody come and watch us? If we struggle to get the casual supporters to come and watch us at the moment what chance have we got of getting any new fans on a new site when they can watch a team that players 3 divisions higher in the same stadium. We'll get our hard core fans and thats about it and having 1000 fans turn up in a 15k seater stadium wont generate that much atmosphere.

I really hope I am wrong, but my personal opinion is that it will spell the end of G&NFC. Why just as we have reached what is perhaps our highest peak for many years do we have to be pulled into what could be the end of our club and a financial disaster for all those concerned. It is a pity the council can't help us in the way Dartford council are supporting their football club.

Just remember that this wasn't on the sports pages of the Reporter, so it may not be as accurate as you think.

Keep the reporting of the Paul Gibbs affair in mind when reading anything not written by Matthew or Gary.

There is of course the school of thought who believe that if a more comfortable stadium, personally I like Stonebridge Road despite it needing updating, were to be made available we would increase the fan base. We all have to remain calm until we know for sure what is happening and also make sure that the needs of the 'Fleet and us supporters are uppermost in Gravesham BC's thoughts.

The following was taken from the BBC News for Kent sports page just a few minutes ago.

'Gillingham FC will be given help from the council to stay in the Medway Towns. That's according to council leader Rodney Chambers. The council have told BBC Kent Gillingham have withdrawn their plans to relocate to Temple Marsh.'

1) If we do our 'own' thing without the influence of Gillingham I have every belief that we will continue to grow and thrive as a club. We should be able to match Gills in a few years, with both crowd and level of football.

2) If we go in with Gillingham i believe it to be; game, set, match!! We cannot compete in a 20k seater.

We cannot compete with local fans wishing to 'change' alliances to the Gills.

We simply could not compete!

True. More worringly, still, our survival would be totally tied in with Gillingham's. If they went bust, the ground would be the main asset to sell for re-paying creditors. This must never be possible. We have to be 100% in charge of our own destiny.

I don't believe Brian would ever be reckless enough to tie us in with an arrangement where somebody else's miscalculations or mismanagement could in any way affect us.

When you were the club webmeister, Dave, you always reckoned Brian read this forum on a regular basis. Hopefully he still does, although until proved wrong I'll continue to trust him to use his judgement in the best long term interests of the Club.

Graham S

Quote:
David Holden said:
My understanding is that the Council have agreed that they will not do anything to the detriment of GNFC

I must admit that's not all that reassuring - it depends whether they know what 'to the detriment of GNFC' means.

It's about time someone told that pillock Scally that his club can rarely fill their current ground, let alone one more than twice its size. I really wished they had gone down on the last day of the season instead of Walsall, because that would hopefully have given them a reality check.

I still have worrying memories of the Maidstone/Dartford groundshare. It all went horribly wrong, killed the Sones off completely and has taken the Darts about 10 years to rise from the ashes to the mediocrity that they now are.

We must NEVER share with the Gills.

I would rather stay independant, playing in Conference or Rymans in front of 1500 supporters at a crumbling Stonebridge Road rather than share with Gills (and lose our identity) at 30,000 capacity stadium in from of 2000 crowds with no atmosphere.

Well according to the news tonight he is all set on moving out.

The medway councellor will try and find a site in medway. They have a possible site in swale and maidstoen as well as 2 in gravesham. Therefore he can got to swale and maidstone, and stay away from gravesham.

Quote:
Graham S said:
True. More worringly, still, our survival would be totally tied in with Gillingham's. If they went bust, the ground would be the main asset to sell for re-paying creditors. This must never be possible. We have to be 100% in charge of our own destiny.

I don't believe Brian would ever be reckless enough to tie us in with an arrangement where somebody else's miscalculations or mismanagement could in any way affect us.

When you were the club webmeister, Dave, you always reckoned Brian read this forum on a regular basis. Hopefully he still does, although until proved wrong I'll continue to trust him to use his judgement in the best long term interests of the Club.

Graham S

Now what does this remind me of.......Maidstone/Dartford.......Surely not!

For the lifeof me I cannot see why Scally has not even considered a move to Sittingbourne. It is the correct side of the Medway towns for most of the current Gills fans, is a huge site, and with substantial (but much cheaper than a new stadium) development, could be turned into a 20,000 arena.

Much better than the 1,000 who turn up once a month for the dogs.