Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Final Score at Great Wakering Rovers

Duke of York

John, Campbell, Bastian, Tickner, Magona, Jones, Velandia, Hall, Crace, Nyman, Ofori, Hunt, Smith, Carroll.

Gate 171

As soon as you saw the team sheet including such names as Louis Green and Neil Richmond how the heck are Great Wakering down the bottom and so it was that GWR were all fired up to get something from this game and we were barely able to field a team.

On 4 minutes GWR got the first well work goal. 1 – 0. GWR were on fire and town were shakey. Town’s first chance came from a Steve Velandia cross and Ricci Crace shot which was saved at the left post by Louis who was still suffering the ill effects of flu. GWR shot very wide. Ricci Crace had a shot saved. JJ was at full stretch to save on his left post. JJ saved over his head. Dean Nyman had a shot saved. GWR have an open goal chance and miss it!

At the other end on 32 minutes Andy Jones is fouled on the edge of the box Referee looks long and hard realises the foul was outside the box so gives the free kick. Should not have matter though should it? Rudi Hall steps up curls it round the wall and although Louis Green gets a hand to it, it still goes in 1 - 1. Nice one Rudi against the run of play. Ricci Crace then puts the ball in the net to be adjudged offside – strange that – looked good to me! Ricci Crace and Louis Green go for a 50:50 ball for Louis studs to connect with Ricci’s mouth – ouch! Dean Nyman shot from 25 yards saved. On 43 minutes GWR get a second 2 – 1. Good goal.

After half time GWR decided to come out and defend for whatever reasons. Dean Nyman on a charge was stopped by a two handed save by a defender in the box for the officials to do yes you’ve guessed it – NOTHING. Town fans not impressed. Kojo Ofori shot wide, Rudi Hall shot wide. Steve Velandia off Dave Hunt on. Lee Smith on for Dean Nyman. Ricci Crace scores in a goal mouth melee. 2 – 2. Lee Smith scored but was adjudged to be offside which Town fans still struggle to understand! It looked a good goal to me. On 84 minutes Ricci Crace scored a glancing header past Green through a melee of GWR players. Impossible to rule that one offside officals? GWR go forward and score again. 3 -3. Paul Campbell off Robbie Carroll on. Final chance was a shot from 40 yards by Kojo Ofori which was saved by the post and crossbar after beating Louis.

Food superb as always. A very enjoyable game of open football, not impressed by the officials on significant decisions – yes they seemed to be Homer Simpsons! Doh!

When we played it on the deck we looked good and created decent chances. When we continued to hoof the ball (clearly playing to our obvious height advantage!!!???) GWR were able to handle our attacks fairly well. Add some very poor refereeing and, although the game was exciting, as a Town fan I was very dissappointed. 2 points dropped as far as I am concerned.

Great game of football from both sides although i still cant understand why we look to hit it long up to the 2 upfront.

Most weeks you see there 2 or 3 centre backs win 95% of the headers. Why play with 2 attack minded wingbacks and fail to use them.

I felt the 2 offsides were probably correct but didn't think the ref was much cop, poor was best i could do. Foul for rudi's free kick he wasn't going to give until lino flagged.

Cant believe many fouls by GWR which seemed to be on par with etfc fouls went unpunished. A talking too didn't seem to stop 1 or 2 of there players, persistant infringment has been taken out of the rules for a yellow card judging from this.

How either the ref or the lino failed to spot both a foul on nyman or the two handed handball (thought he'd scored a try in rugby for a split second) was unbelievable although i would put more blame on lino as he had a clear view where as ref from his angle would not have seen handball.

Full credit to GWR who battled well, lets hope they can do the same on Sat or go 1 better.

Well done towns patched up squad 1st 11 4 named subs including b.hammett who was ill and p.hammett the physio. How stretched were we?

It was tremendous entertainment on a night perfect for football.

At the end of the game both sides had given everything they had and a draw was a worthy finish.

From the opening 30 mins I disagree with you Happy I thought that this was a point won. GWR have plenty of games in hand and I reckon they will be well above mid table at the finish.

A good game and even safehands looked confused to be given a free kick when Ricci caught his face on his boot and said that we should have had a throw in.

Originally Posted By: Mr Happy
Well Stpeh, I have to stand by my original post as, due to a faulty navigator, I missed the first 30 mins!!!!!! Agree re where they will finish. think Flackwell and Ilford will drop.

You missed the first 30 minutes! Bit like the turning down Sewardstone Road! Guess what? I missed the first 30 minutes too due to a faulty driver, and I don't mean my driver I use for golf.

Originally Posted By: Mr Happy
Well Stpeh, I have to stand by my original post as, due to a faulty navigator, I missed the first 30 mins!!!!!! Agree re where they will finish. think Flackwell and Ilford will drop.
Pardon me Mr Happy but is it just the two that go down as I was under the impression it was Three and the worst finisher of the 4th from bottoms . I have to say I liked my visit there on the opening game of the season ,Nice lot of people .The best chips Iv'e ever had as well.

Have checked on Kempster and he is stating that two clubs from each Step 4 league will be relegated. There will be an additional Step 4 league next season allowing for a number of Step 5 clubs to aim for promotion.