Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Redbridge v ETFC

andyetfc

What is the common denominator?

V Wivenhoe - Stuart Nethercott - Heading practice

v Redbridge - Wayne Brown -Heading practice.

Yes you've guessed it. Long high balls down the middle of the park.

Why can we not attempt to keep the ball on the ground? Yes, the pitch was not as good as Brimmo, but to kick aimless balls into the air serves no purpose at all.

We gave too many free kicks away and both their goals were the result of dead ball situations.

Not a game for the fan looking to watch a decent game of football.

Agree with Paul. Our most creative players were on the bench. Was this because the management was worried about the physical side of Rebridge's game? If you are playing small strikers then you need creative players to thread the ball through to them rather than thump the ball upfield and hope. That being said, whilst Crace seems to be really forcing things again after a poor spell Awosu worries me. He doesn't seem to tackle and appears to be struggling with the physical nature of our game. Sure, he shows snatches of brilliance but that is not enough at this level. As for Hunt's miss!!?? The website has said that it was because the ball took a nasty bobble. What a load of c*ap! It would have been easier to scaore than to miss from there! Andy summed our performance up at the end with one word..."garbage" and I couldn't agree more.

Word was that Jim knew what he was doing...ie, leaving players out so they would not get broken legs from Redbridge and their rough style of play.

Well, Redbridge were tough, hard and direct, but NOT kickers as reported.

Town were totally outplayed, out fought and out thought in every aspect of the game and Jim showed no signs of knowing how to beat a team of tall, fit players who were prepared to "run thro' brick walls" for their team.

This is the 4th time we have played Redbridge and we have not recorded a victory yet ( 6 points lost this season )as Jim has no idea how to play against a "physical team".

High balls to our small forwards and their tall defenders is not the way ( I believe I have stated this several times over the last few seasons )

SHOULD we gain promotion via the play offs - god help us, as the Redbridge "style" will be more the norm every week !!

This just leaves me to question Jims Managerial awareness, even though we are 3rd in the league and going for the play offs for a 2nd year running.

Just like Arsenal in the premiership,I'm afraid we are somewhat one dimensional.ie.we are good enough to win 6-7 out of ten games due to our ability,but can't or won't change tactics or style of play when conditions or circumstance demands it.Thats why both clubs are always there or there abouts in the mix,but only win titles on a 4/5 yearly basis.

The fact remains that any average (but well organised and determined)side can nulify us on anything less than a 'good' playing surface.I said last season that if any opposing team had (A).Quick defenders (B).Dominant headers of the ball..We found it difficult to break them down (especially on the bumpy dry pitches that prevail around play-off time). That was proved correct when a limited Wivenhoe side (who finished 20-odd points below us in the league),turned us over 0-2 at home in the play-offs just by having two central defenders who shut us down and cleared out everything we launched at them.

How many years have we said we needed a bid strong striker to partner the likes of Crace/Hammett..etc.Even if the fella has two left feet,who cares,as long as he can make sure that any ball pumped at the oppositions box doesn't come straight back,and he can create disruption in order to free space for the likes of Crace,then fine.We'll let the rest of our players do the 'intricate' stuff.

I do agree with you LS. Mot the diatribe against Jim but the problem that ball players have against hoofers. I first saw this many years ago against Alvechurh. We could not break down a hoofing side then.

I would rather that Town always play football but on the pitch last night that was impossible. I reckon Hunt up front in stead of owusu may have done the trick but still the game has gone let us move on. However my recollection is that Tilbury are somewhat similar in tactics let us hope we can water the Brimsdown pitch well.

Originally Posted By: brutus
i think jim should be sacked 3rd in the league is a disgrace FOR a club of this magnitude,

In a league this poor it is, performances & overall football in this league is far poorer than the Southern League last year.

Braithwaite's gone to Redbridge (don't ask me why). I think we've given up on the Opoka arrangement as Colchester kept recalling him. The search for the big striker goes on.....

I am totally confused at Jim's team selection yet again,I agree with the comments at what players were on the bench .Its like the same as last season all over again . it was thrown away last year .I'm beginning to wonder if this club really has any ambition at all ?