Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Sat 3rd/Sun 4th Matches

Looked like a tidy enough player from the brief time he was on the pitch against us but he's got a problem and should be banned from tackling!

I'll pass the advice onto the manager

Farleigh Rovers 0-2 Dorking.

Another good result for DFC.

Any comments TSF ? I take it you were there.

I was there BJR. A deserved victory for Dorking who had several other chances to score. The real difference between the two sides was Martin Smith and the right midfielder (can't remember name). I had the pleasure of playing along side Smithy at the start of last season and he is a top striker for Div 1. In my opinion if Dorking can strengthen with two new full backs and a left midfielder similar to the right midfielder they could be a top side in the division. Other teams will exploit these weaknesses, especially down the flanks. Farleigh have some work to do with many new faces but the manager knows the task ahead of him. It's a difficult task after last seasons achievements.

The match report from our 7-0 win at Cove is here:

http://www.eefconline.co.uk/Fix2015.16-18.html

As always when you play a team low on confidence, a good start can reap dividends and we were two up inside six minutes, scoring pretty much at will.

This Cove side would have been beaten by last year's Frimley Green during their lowest point last year and we  all know what happened to them, so changes are needed urgently at Oak Farm or I won't be getting a chilli burger next year!

We are top of the table, but haven't played any of the top teams yet. Still, you can only beat who is in front of you and to get seven away from home in a League game for the first time since 1975 was very nice to see. We are maybe fortunate to have our trip to Hartley next week called off, as I'd rather play them later in the season (who wouldn't?) but we do travel to Ashford on 24th October which will be our first match against a top team this season.

By the way, that Farnham result at the top of the thread is wrong. They won on penalties! Why an away side would agree to the lottery of penalties in a first Vase match when they have a chance for a home Vase tie is beyond me.

I was there BJR. A deserved victory for Dorking who had several other chances to score. The real difference between the two sides was Martin Smith and the right midfielder (can't remember name). I had the pleasure of playing along side Smithy at the start of last season and he is a top striker for Div 1. In my opinion if Dorking can strengthen with two new full backs and a left midfielder similar to the right midfielder they could be a top side in the division. Other teams will exploit these weaknesses, especially down the flanks. Farleigh have some work to do with many new faces but the manager knows the task ahead of him. It's a difficult task after last seasons achievements.

Many thanks YV.

By the way, that Farnham result at the top of the thread is wrong. They won on penalties! Why an away side would agree to the lottery of penalties in a first Vase match when they have a chance for a home Vase tie is beyond me.

I bet Abbey Rangers wish they could have persuaded their Vase opponents last Saturday to do so - a 250 mile round trip on Wednesday night to South Gloucestershire is the outcome of not doing so. Lets hope they win it.

There were quite a few in this round that wouldn't have gone to a replay. I don't think I've ever seen so many although it's strange that, on the FA website, the Farnham game did have a replay date of October 6th listed.

I suspect one reason for no replays is groundshares.

Say your lot drew an away game but Chipstead had a home game booked the following Tuesday. Would they postpone their fixture for you? Of course you could play on a Monday or Wednesday but again, would your hosts allow it?

The answer might well be yes, but in some groundshare agreements I suspect the answer would be no.

Just to answer that, in those circumstances we let the opposition know that our replay date is a Wednesday if Chipstead have a game (or even a potential game) on the Tuesday if for example we were both away in the Cup on a Saturday. The same applied in reverse with our F.A. Cup tie against Erith and Belvedere who advised that any replay at Park View Road would be on Wednesday as they share with Welling United who had a game on the Tuesday.

To pass up a home tie in the second most prestigious event on the calendar and gamble the cash prize on a lottery of a penalty shoot out is quite bizarre. Even with a ground share, the landlords are passing up an evening where their bar will be more populated than if there were no game which makes no business sense.

For what it's worth I think the F.A. should force all teams to play the original tie to a decider and likewise for the F.A. Cup. Step Five clubs get so many fixture backlogs these days and as you progress further in the competitions, midweek travel for a replay, or even on the following Saturday, brings its own logistical problems.

Until they do, I can't think of a single valid reason why an away team wouldn't retain the right to a home replay.