Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

More mid weeks games

SPLEG END

There does seem to be a lack of midweek action at the moment with the games mounting up. Surely the fix sec should be doubling up for most teams right now? With every chance of bad weather during February.... (not to mention the April showers!) we will be here til Christmas!!smilewinkgrin.gif

we're quite lucky - most of these game postponed have been at home . It's the 6.30 kicks offs in may i hate at clubs that havent lights yet. Feel sorry for anyone that has to go to Farleigh/ Crescent later in the season. It's bad enough getting to the Croydon Arena for 7.45 Ko

N.L.N. In this day of Sat.Navs how is it harder for clubs to get to the Arena in Croydon,than for us to get to say Westfield.Yes fair point about 6.30pm kick offs.But at least the Arena has a very nice playing surface compared to many in this League,ie Cove,and Molesley took me back to the 70's,but Cove do have excuses due to the sewage problem.

I've heard rumours that there are no plans to extend the League season. Grounds with lights might well be expected to play on three times a week, with Tuesdays and Thursdays included.

That's all and well but shows up the one disadvantage of ground-sharing.

I think DFC's and Bookhams outstanding games together now go well into double figures.

I've heard rumours that there are no plans to extend the League season. Grounds with lights might well be expected to play on three times a week, with Tuesdays and Thursdays included.

I think DFC's and Bookhams outstanding games together now go well into double figures.

I thought it had already been extended? Wasn't the original final day due to be 24th April? There are games now scheduled for the following weekend (May bank holiday). Or do you mean extending even further than that?

Certainly I'd be astonished if Badshot Lea can catch up before the season's end - I think their hosts are also still in a lot of cup competitions - I s'pose MV SCR & Cobham could find themselves falling over each other too?

Mind you Farnham are lagging behind on games played in CCL1 - maybe cos of their cup commitments yet Feltham are 6 games ahead of them and they g/s? :wtf:

... all the more puzzling then, as per the quote at the top of the thread, that instead of addressing their league fixture backlog, Dorking have to play in some 'dodgy' Cup tie over here in sunny Reading @ Scours Lane this Tuesday night.

Don't spose Reading Town are all that bothered about the SCC Cup either - and its not as if they don't have a bit of a build-up of games called off themselves - though not as many as the chasing pack.

P'raps the Hellenic doesn't want them to get too far ahead in games played - makes the league table look a bit odd when there's such a disparity in games played.

e.g. Compare the CCL Prem standings of Hanworth Villa and Badshot Lea - the latter are 11 games behind!

Is it fair for teams with lights in the CCL1 to have to play 2 or 3 times per week under floodlights. Basically teams in CCL1 with lights are punished as they will have higher bills than those without lights. Perhaps the league should charge teams without lights an extra cost when they play teams under floodlights.

Oh dear. I know it's only a forecast but things look quite bad from the early hours of Tuesday morning! :angry:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

I thought it had already been extended? Wasn't the original final day due to be 24th April? There are games now scheduled for the following weekend (May bank holiday). Or do you mean extending even further than that?

Certainly Cove v Croydon has been arranged for Saturday 1st May, so I think there'e certainly been some extension to the season

Just to explain: at the start of the season the League is required to name the end of the season which is always nominally fixed for 31 May. In the Premier Division though, matches need to be completed by the first week of May as the FA usually sit down over the second weekend to sort our promotions/allocations for next season etc. Obviously that doesn't effect every club but there is now an understanding that all Step 5 divisions (i.e. our Prem) will finish before those discussions. Originally matches were to be completed on Sat 24 April but as has been noted, we have now set some matches for Sat 1 May and we will use the Bank Holiday, 3 May, if we have to for Prem games but not after that.

Division One (and the Reserve Section) is different as movement between the Prem and Div 1 is generally an internal affair, not requiring the involvement of the FA. As such we go on into May but the intention is to ensure completion before the FA Cup Final on 15 May as I think everyone gets a bit fed up by then.

So far we have still managed (with one exception) to avoid clubs in the Prem having to play two league matches in a week but nearly all the slack has been used now, so there will be some "doubling up" if we have further postponements. Hope that helps.

Smudge- no doubting the excellent facillities but it's a right pain getting anywhere in Croydon.The whole area is constantly gridlocked!

Just a little tip for anyone travelling to Croydon Sports Arena. Don't go anywhere near Croydon!!!!! Cos yes, you'll get gridlocked!

I moved away from Croydon 20 years ago, now living just outside Wootton Bassett in Wiltshire, via moves to Wokingham and Waterlooville. For some daft reason for which I have yet to fathom out, I have carried on supporting the club, so have to had to find ways and means of getting there, and not losing my mind in traffic jams at the same time! From the west, if you're going round the M25, I have found that the most reliable and least frustrating way of getting there is to ignore Junction 7 (A23), and come off at Junction 6 (A22). Then when you get to Whyteleafe, turn right at the big roundabout with the pub on the corner, and make your way via Warlingham, Sanderstead, Selsdon, etc to the Arena.

When I was Secretary, I used to send out detailed instructions to our opponents, using this route. Somewhere on my ancient home laptop, I should still have these instructions in a Word document. They may be a little bit out of date, in terms of signposts, but if anyone wants a copy, PM me with you email address and I'll send them on to you

Even Croydon itself is a doddle to drive through if you know all the back routes. ;)

And as someone mentioned above, why are Dorking playing their Combination Cup game? Was there really no league fixture that could be slotted in?

I'm afraid we are in the hands of the 'Powers That Be' on this one, bomaya !

Edited by Big J R

And as someone mentioned above, why are Dorking playing their Combination Cup game? Was there really no league fixture that could be slotted in?

I'm afraid we are in the hands of the 'Powers That Be' on this one, bomaya !

... the 'someone' was only me! :winkewinke:

... thinking about it objectively - I s'pose the 'Powers' that BJR refers to, are probably a mite concerned that if this game doesn't get played pretty soon then the whole SCC Competition may as well get binned for this season.

This IS a 1st Round game after all - well it is according to Mitoo - some of the NL Forum lads seem to think its actually the 2nd round - but since records of its progress are somewhat scattered around several leagues, its hellish difficult to keep up with. Ever tried going back and working out whose won it and when? For a competition that's been running for so long it doesn't half keep itself 'secretive'!

Of all the Competitions affected by the weather this is possibly the one they could ditch completely without too much grief?

For the 2nd year running the Hellenic have cancelled their 'Supplementary Cup' in order to ease the backlog.

I might drag myself over there tomorrow night, though there's a few CCLP games with more appeal but the weather could bodge things up still further. :doh: