Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Question for Krooner or any ref

johnnojudo

Scenario: Two opposing players slide in for a 50/50 challenge for the ball. The ball deflects to another player and play continues. The player on team A stays down after the challenge. Play stops and the physio attends to the seemingly injured player. The injured player reveals deep gashes down the back of his leg. After a request to inspect the boots/studs of the player on team B, it reveals that the player on team B has exceptionally sharp, rusty studs that has caused this nasty injury.

What does the referee do next??

Send the player with the illegal boots off leaving team B with 10 men?

Book the player?

Ask the player to change his boots?

Nothing?

Shoot the linesman who should have checked player B's boots?

Let me know what you think.......

I would ask the player to leave the field of play to change his boots and he would not be allowed on until he had. I would ask my assistant if he had noticed the boots when he did the check. Also would be interested to know if it is in the 2nd half as boots are not checked when you all come out at half time.

In the wider context of this my personal feelings are that it should be written in law that it is the clubs responsibility for players kit.

sounds like the most sensible answer although as the captain of team A, i'd be pretty p1ssed off that my injured player would have to be substituted due to the disgusting state and irresponsibility of the opposing players boots.

The same could be said if a players ring/sovereign wasnt seen by a ref/linesman and that ring caught a player in the eye and needed stitches and hospital.

I think as a captain i'd want action taken against the accused player for being irresponsible towards his opposition. Can you imagne your reaction after checking a players boots that they are razor sharp and had caused this horrific gash that needed hospital. You as a refereee wanting fair play would surely send him off for unsportsmanship??

I wouldnt be able to send someone off for unsporting behaviour JJ as that is only a Caution.

What if the player says he truly wasnt aware they were like that ?

Personally, I would have thought that any responsible club would ensure that SOMEONE in the dressing rooms checked players boots BEFORE leaving to start the game, then, hopefully, this scenario would never arise.

I have watched many a team come piling out the dressing room to get to the line up before they go onto the pitch for the respect handshake.

The assistant referees are supposed to check for

1 - Undergarments (right colour below football kit),

2 - jewelery (rings, studs (ear, face & nipple (allegedly) - and no, not prince alberts before someone asks & then necklaces/chains) after you have checked for all of those, they are supposed to check the studs.

3 - Studs - If you have seen the way that players lift their boots to allow the assistants to see the studs it is very difficult. If they are then asked to lift their boots higher or wait until the assistant checks more throuroughly the comments and abuse they get - you can well imagine.

I believe that the players/clubs should take more responsibility for their own equipment - personally

Krooner is of course correct that the player with the offending boots should be asked to leave the pitch and change them. He would then be allowed back on to continue playing.

The referee might well ask the assistant why he didn't spot them but in my experience officials are now more concerned with jewellery and undergarments because they will be marked down by an assessor if they miss these. Consequently boots are almost ignored

coffee%20(2).gif

Not in my experience Footy Mad. Boots, Jewellery and then undergarments in that order in at least 75% of my games that I officiate on.

I have refused a referees request to ask players to lift their shorts to see if they have undergarments on. I have now done that twice.

I have missed jewellery on at least 2 occasions this season. Yes my fault but the response from the player when asked to leave the field of play was "Well the lino didnt tell me to take it off" How long has it been that you cannot wear jewellery ? This is what I mean about players and clubs taking responsibility.

Well JJ. I always take mine off because the players have to as well.

I have some strong views on this but in a nutshell my personal belief is that a player should be allowed to wear a plain wedding ring and tape it up.

Next time I see you I will explain my thoughts as to why I believe that.

I'm a ref.  I shall cover myself in flame-retardant gear immediately.

I agree with Krooner with regard to the evil studs issue as originally posted.  However, I am with the brigade that ALL jewellery must be removed and that taping up is NOT enough.  

Krooner, would be interested to hear your views on this.

Wedding rings ! Hmmmmm !

I'm sure we've been here before.

I'm with Kroons and probably for the same reason he will elaborate on in person.

OPERATING THEATRES: Something I can speak of with experience, having endured them some ten times over the last 15 years.

All jewellry, including rings must be removed, EXCEPTING wedding rings, which will be taped by the theatre staff.

Reason ? Religious belief, (sorry Muslims et al), and family values.

Yes - Some Prem players ARE still wearing taped wedding rings. ( I suggest a letter of query to Graham Poll, C/O The Daily Mail).

Edited by Big J R

You don't tend to see too many sliding tackles in ORs so the comparison is not valid.

Is Graham Poll really the best person to ask?! Think you'd want one of the head guys for refereeing at FA nowadays. The guidance on this has changed over the seasons incidentally, at one point taped rings were advised acceptable.

I'm with our leader on this one........but here is a slightly different look on it....

.......as a GK i'm allowed to wear gloves that have finger spines in them (for those of you who don't know, when bent backwards they become rigid plastic "bones" covering the back of the fingers and hand to prevent hyper extension). For the first time I'm currently wearing these type of gloves and imo they would certainly hurt/do more damage if I caught a player in the face (either with a flailing hand of whilst punching the ball) than a taped wedding band would ever do.

In fact you can't actually feel a ring (if worn), through the plastic spine.....so why are these type of gloves allowed?