Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Friday Night CCL Football

It was just the set of lights on the dugout side. I felt it was still light enough to finish the game, but the ref was very quick to abandon it so I guess he was told they wouldn't be coming back on. I assume the League will allow the 0-3 to stand?

It was just the set of lights on the dugout side. I felt it was still light enough to finish the game, but the ref was very quick to abandon it so I guess he was told they wouldn't be coming back on. I assume the League will allow the 0-3 to stand?

I WAS THERE AS WELL WATCHING, COMFORTABLE FOR CHERTSEY I THOUGHT.

REGARDING THE LIGHTS GOING OUT, WASN'T THERE A RECENT GAME AT BANSTEAD - ITS HAPPENED THERE A COUPLE OF TIMES - (NOT SURE IF IT WAS BANSTEAD OR EPSOM & EWELL) WHEN THERE WAS ONLY A FEW MINUTES LEFT IN THE GAME AND THAT GAME HAD TO BE REPLAYED ? SO TRS NOT TOO SURE IF CHERTSEY WILL GET THE 3 POINTS FROM THIS EVENINGS GAME , IT'S A CCL MANAGEMENT DECISION I SUPPOSE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE JOG MY MEMORY ABOUT THESE GAMES AT MERLAND RISE ?

They shouldn't allow the 3-0 to stand. The Epsom & Ewell v Bedfont game in November was abandoned with less than three minutes to go due to a partial floodlight failure but the league said the game had to be replayed.

Strangely, when exactly the same lights failed in the Banstead v Hanworth Villa game in February the match referee decided there was enough light to play on.

From our website:-

A somewhat depleted Wood side gave of their best against one of the better sides in the league, especially in the first half.

Chertsey took the lead on 9 minutes when Jack Francis flicked home cleverly from a left sided corner kick but Wood eventually got a foothold in the game. Cornell McKoy might have converted a free kick but for a fine Liam Stone save and there were good claims for a penalty kick soon after which were waved away as the half ended with equal possession over the piece and the visitors failing to add, or improve on, their earlier dominance.

The next goal would prove to be crucial and it was John Pomroy :smashfreakb: who broke Wood hearts, not for the first time, when his low free kick eluded the, otherwise, excellent Nick Peters in the Wood goal on 48 minutes.

Gavin Bamford added a 64th minute 3rd goal for the visitors who gradually dominated the proceedings.

However, Wood can take heart from yet another performance which, with a little more fortune in and around the area, may have reaped more reward.

With four succesive away games in 13 days, Wood need a touch more self belief when in possession, particularly around the opposition penalty area, as March will probably prove to be the defining month of their season.

I have no issue with the result standing despite the floodlight situation near the end.

Our sincere thanks to Cobham FC for hosting the game tonight and to all those who attended which saw an attendance of 92, more than double which we would probably have received on a Saturday afternoon.

Edited by Chris Clapham

To be fair to the referee, he was informed that to "re-fire" the lights would take 10 to 15 minutes but both sets of team managers and officials agreed to shake hands and that was that.

The lights came back on within that time period.

I really need to underline the fact that I am not an "official" of Colliers Wood United Football Club and I am just stating what happened yesterday evening.

For what it is worth, I see no problem with a democratic AND FAIR decision made by BOTH clubs with the support of the match officials.

Of course, goal difference may come back to haunt either club in May.

I could also add, mischievously :icon29: , that we might have won 4-3 :97:

FA Laws of the game from the FA website.

The match lasts two equal periods of 45 minutes, unless otherwise mutually

agreed between the referee and the two teams. Any agreement to alter the

duration of the periods of play (for example, to reduce each half to 40 minutes

because of insuffi cient light) must be made before the start of play and must

comply with competition rules.

:255:

FA Laws of the game from the FA website.

The match lasts two equal periods of 45 minutes, unless otherwise mutually

agreed between the referee and the two teams. Any agreement to alter the

duration of the periods of play (for example, to reduce each half to 40 minutes

because of insuffi cient light) must be made before the start of play and must

comply with competition rules.

:255:

Re recent partial floodlight failures at the Rise all apart from 1 referee had the opinion there was sufficient light to continue(which there was) .Looking at the rules as stated it should be a replay as the agreement was after the event . We were abandoned v Bedfont on 89 with the score at 2-1 . Interestingly that's what the replay ended up. Although pragmatism suggests letting the result stand is a reasonable decision I was at Corinthian Casuals v Merstham earlier in the season which was 3-1 to Casuals against 10 men and ended 4-3 to Merstham. Would Merstham have taken a 3-1 defeat if the floodlights had failed that day.

Good video as always TRS ... didn't look that dark at the end.

What was it like there???

Did you think that it was too dark to continue??

Well I could see both far corners fine from where I was, so with only a short time left I can't see why the game couldn't finish even without the lights coming back on. Interesting to hear that both managers agreed to 'end' the game, particularly as it doesn't seem to be in the rules!

Quite so TRS .... up to the referee to determine whether or not it is safe to continue.

If he (or she) is concerned about the lights then they would obviously consult with whoever is responsible.

Managers might well express an opinion (that would make a change!!) but it is not their decision as to whether a game should be played or not ... or abandoned for whatever reason

Couldn't they have borrowed a few 50p pieces from the bar ?

Usual good quality vid, TRS ! :smilie_flagguk: