Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Respect

So interested in views on the following as we are now nearly 2 seasons into respect.

1 - What are your views on the Handshake before the game ?

2 - Is there more respect in the game because of this, about the same or less ?

1.Had an interesting meeting the other day,where an Asian Lady refused to shake my Hand,when I asked her why she would not,she said She did not know where my hand had been.

2.Made no difference at all to the behaviour of Players,just another F.A. mistake,looks good but does not work.

Edited by Smudge

Not really sure - as captains we shake hands with the ref in the line up and in the middle. However why do the refs shake hands with all the rest of the players if they are only going ot talk to the captains. May as well just leave all the respect stuff to the two captains and the refs at the toss. i dont think the game is played in a better spirit cause we shake hands before the game.

Some players say good luck and give a firm handshake but most of the time players who shake my hand give nothing more than a feeble touch and dont say anything.

Maybe do the hand shake line up after a game like in rugby might mean more - if they dont then club gets fined!

So interested in views on the following as we are now nearly 2 seasons into respect.

1 - What are your views on the Handshake before the game ? Love it and i think it has done the game a world of good (just not sure exactly how)

Probably the same. I pick up far more germs on my hands from all the handshakes and thus am ill far too much during the season.

Shake a refs hand?? 5 times per game

Shake a linos hand x 2?? 8 times per game

Opposing captain ?? 3 times per game

Opposing players and managers ?? 24+ times

Lots of handshakes.... 60 games approx per season times by 40 handshakes per game = 2400 handshakes a season!!

1 - What are your views on the Handshake before the game ?

Not sure about this one. In principal, it is a very good idea. It wouldn't be possible after the game, for obvious reasons.

About the same. Certainly no MORE respect !

Handshake - waste of time - makes us look stupid doing it in front of one man and his dog. Why shake hands with someone you are going to do battle with?

Defo no more respect, probably just the same as before.

The handshake is a good idea. It demonstrates respect and shows the Home team ceremonially 'welcoming' the Away team. It gives a good impression to those watching.

Okay, at this level there may not be very many people watching, that's true. We should be striving to raise standards though. Fixing behaviour and attitudes may take time but we have to start somewhere.

From a refereeing perspective it is all part of the 'bonding' experience that begins with the moment they arrive at the ground. Not that I want to give away any secrets, obviously... ;)

Edited by Mewcenary

Why is it the home team do the walk??? shouldnt it be the home team who stand their ground and welcome the away team!! all home games we do the walk ?

Brunty you should pay more attention,the away Team have to walk the walk as well.They have to shake hands with the Officials as well.I should know I have been an Official twice.

The handshake is a good idea. It demonstrates respect and shows the Home team ceremonially 'welcoming' the Away team. It gives a good impression to those watching.

Okay, at this level there may not be very many people watching, that's true. We should be striving to raise standards though. Fixing behaviour and attitudes may take time but we have to start somewhere.

From a refereeing perspective it is all part of the 'bonding' experience that begins with the moment they arrive at the ground. Not that I want to give away any secrets, obviously... ;)

Sorry Mewey, completely disagree. From the world cup down the handshake is a load of tosh. Are you seriously saying that the mentality of a player since the handshake has been introduced has changed from before the handshake? I dont think so.

Start penalising teams 10 yards for dissent, that will change the mentality and get the respect levels that the FA and the weirdos at FIFA want.

From a refereeing perspective it is all part of the 'bonding' experience that begins with the moment they arrive at the ground. Not that I want to give away any secrets, obviously... wink.gif

Sorry Mewey, completely disagree. From the world cup down the handshake is a load of tosh. Are you seriously saying that the mentality of a player since the handshake has been introduced has changed from before the handshake? I dont think so.

Start penalising teams 10 yards for dissent, that will change the mentality and get the respect levels that the FA and the weirdos at FIFA want.

Totally agree, think the whole handshake buisness with the refs and players is nonsense, like brunty said the ref will only speak to the captains and tells the rest of us to go away, as for the players id rather just shake there hands after the game, also i hate lining up in front of about 10 people! waste of time!!