Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What communication do you expect/respect from the referee?

Hi,

I'm planning a blog entry along these lines in the future, and who better to ask than you guys?

Essentially, what sort of communication do you expect from the referee during the game? What works for you as players/managers/spectators? What sorts of things have you found really helpful and what other things have really ground your gears?

Any particular things which will help earn your respect? What will make you drop your confidence like a stone?

Thanks all!

Might have to think about this one for a while !

:coffee (2):

I've many suggestions in my head but I think the Referee should offer to clean players boots after a game? Especially you MEWCENARY :discobanana:

I've many suggestions in my head but I think the Referee should offer to clean players boots after a game? Especially you MEWCENARY :discobanana:

I don't think you run far enough to get them dirty.... ;-)

I was up and down that left side like a machine :smashfreakb:

give the reason why they are cautioning/dissmissing a player. Too many referee's watch the TV and see those guys flashing cards with no dialect, and bring it to our level of football - would stop people going 'what for'!

My own personal view on what I would expect a Referee to do.Before the game go into each Teams Dressing Room,and introduce himself to the Players and Managers,and take the Captains Christian names,as well as the Managers Christian names.Then explain what he will allow regards Language,and more importantly what he will not.Then explain if he is a Ref who likes to play the advantage rule or not.Then if he does book a Player,state that the reason for the booking,clearly and concisely.Also tell the Players whether or not he takes his Linesmans flag as Gospel,because in many games I have seen,sometimes they do and sometimes they do not,which causes a lot of problems.Always go into the Clubhouse after the game and talk to anyone,who may have a question to ask,as long as they are Polite.

Some good points there Smudge. To add to this I would expect all managers and Captains to arrive at least 3 hours before Kick off so we can explain it all to them !!!!

One other point I would like Referees to do is when they make a real big gaffe,like the Younghammerwhitby sending off,admit it,would get the utmost RESPECT from me.Because as Human Beings we all make mistakes,but admitting them takes Courage.

I know one Ref who have made a mistake or in this case was advised by there assistant whom has made themistake (ie over a booking) then contacted the SFA and requested the cancellation of the booking successfully ...........that the sort of official we need :discobanana:

So when a full back holds his hand up for offside when clearly he is the one playing the opponent onside they will admit it was them rather than shouting at the officials ?

As ever 2 way my good friend but in the majority of cases it is only ever viewed as one way :)

Kroons as ever you amaze me with your remarks,how ludicrous are your views. And perfectly show why the Respect Campaign will never work,Maybe they were tongue in cheek,like Wattsy's,but have you any serious comments to make,that would enhance the Respect Campaign.I know you wear many hats i.e Ref.Assessor,Supporter,Coach,so you have a lot to offer,from all angles,unlike the shirts who run this great game,who only ever go to the Big Games,where the best Officials are on show,so dont see the Problems us supporters,Players,see every week.

Thanks for the replies. Some comments from my point of view.

I will never enter the changing rooms. It's a big "No no". That doesn't mean I can't speak to anyone I need to somewhere else though. Managers can be spoken to when they come to see the referee, captains on the pitch and so on.

The thing with advantage and whether to go with the Assistant's flag is that they are SITUATIONAL. Sometimes I will play advantage, other times not. Sometimes I will go with the flag, other things I will overrule because I have seen something an Assistant has NOT (e.g. the ball was actually played by a defender). I will typically brief the captains to this effect though.

Unfortunately, I have found I am making a rod for my own back if you tell the players what you don't like etc. For example, I used to say I would call the captains in to help with their team if they get rowdy. That was used against me because a player made a dissent-level comment and I carded him immediately (it was pretty strong) and the captain then complained that I couldn't do that because I didn't involve him! Don't worry, I still get the captains involved where appropriate.

Last night a player mildly kicked the ball away so I announced to both teams that any more of that and the cards are coming out. Then any instance of the ball going slightly away from where it is meant to be resulted in calls for cards! Let alone when I did caution someone when they hoofed the ball half-way across the pitch after a decision went against them...

You get the idea. It's very tricky because it falls down to INTERPRETATION.

I really value what I am reading here though.

Mewcenary you amaze me,with your No,No, comments on going into changing rooms before a game.If a Referee were to do this he could lessen his load.Players and Managers are in a receptive mood before any game and if given the Ground Rules of how you Officiate,they then have No Complaints.i.e No Jewellery,No swearing at Individuals,No abusing Assistants,No contesting a decision made by Me or my Assistants in a derogatory manner,as for Talking to Captain's before the game,a 2 minute chat is not enough,because they cannot then tell the other 20 players on the Pitch your way of Refereeing.Now I know why the Standard of Refereeing is not improving,IT'S THEM AND US MENTALITY.SET YOUR GROUND RULES AND IF THERE BROKEN,PLAYERS CANNOT COMPLAIN.

So when a full back holds his hand up for offside when clearly he is the one playing the opponent onside they will admit it was them rather than shouting at the officials ?

As ever 2 way my good friend but in the majority of cases it is only ever viewed as one way :)

Could not agree more Kroons, how often do you see a player admitting his mistake !!!!!! as ever he'll find something that the official did not spot to justify his error :smashfreakb:

When a ref is complementary to you. If I pull off a save and the ref says great save keeper or something like that it makes you feel good and the ref goes up a level in my book. I wont try and be difficult by appealling for everything and try to work with him/her. Just communication all round from officials makes the game more enjoyable.

Edited by YoungHammerWhitby

Smudgey I have actually been told by a player that he blames officials so that his manager does not have a go at him when he makes a mistake. Happy to hold my hand up for a mistake and all I ask for is the same from players. Struggling to understand why you see my views as you do. Is that because I am a referee who knows nothing while players and supporters are always right ?

No Kroons value your opinions,just think that when the blame him culture kicks in all is lost.Take last nights R.P.V. v N.G.U. the Ref was excellent he stamped out Foul Language early,his Assistant was protected by him when a Player questioned his Offside decision,not by a card but by a stern admonishment to the said Player.He set his authority on the game,so the Players knew where they stood.They then in my opinion Respected him.

I like to make comments with players as I pass them sometimes (and certainly not always of a 'Watch it' style!). You have to be careful though so as not to be accused of bias. "Hey, how do you know his name?" "It's on the team sheet" etc etc ;-)

My style is that I am more than happy for players to talk to me. We should all know when just talking crosses the line to dissent though, and I'd certainly gently advise when nagging starts to get to that level. Straight-out dissent will get a straight caution though.

A strong captain makes all of this so easy!