Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What communication do you expect/respect from the referee?

I agree with CB above, in that that often the officials don't want to talk back or explain their decisions when they can.

I fully understand their stance if a player/manager etc is mouthing off or going mental at them, but quite often when I have asked (not sworn or been agressive) as why a decision has been made I have been totally ignored, or been met with the answer of "Because I don't have too"....which IMO is just being obnoxious and not a way to get my respect.

Also, better communication between the officals as a team.

Apologies Footy,what was his Question.

He was enquiring as to why I hadn't cautioned one of the opposition when one of his team had been cautioned for a similar offence 3 weeks prior.

I was trying to explain that I couldn't comment on what had happened in a previous game when I wasn't there to witness it and would have said that I am aware that managers want consistency but the most they can hope for is that a referee is consistent over 90 minutes.

We all have our own tolerance levels and also the spirit in which a game is played can help determine when a card is to be used. A careless tackle in a good natured game is less likely to result in a yellow card than a similar tackle in a heated game.

Obviously there can come a time in a game when a referee needs to stamp his authority on it and may use a card for an offence that he did not earlier in the game.

Anyway, I digress. He asked a question but did not want tolisten to an answer.

If I may continue .... I refereed a game last week which was very niggly and the secretary of the away club wanted to speak to me afterwards. I invited him in to the dressing room and he made one or two points about things that had gone on. I gave him my responses and I accept that he was correct on one of his points. We both had our say and shook hands afterwards.

Is this not how it should be?

A game of opinions. Sometimes the officials are wrong and if we know we are then we should be big enough to hold our hands up Doesn't change anything but hopefully shows that we are human

Having spoken to many Refs after games this year at Municipal games and other Div 1 games,I have found them very helpful and courteous in all their answers to Questions put to them.I cannot say the same for Watching Croydon games in the Premier,as I am not privy to go into the Boardroom,maybe Refs should give the Boardrooms a miss,and get out and mix with the Paying customers,who in my opinion are not as biased as Club Officials.I personally have bought several Officials drinks this year,for the excellent game they have given us Fans,and long may it continue.

And no-one seems to accept that. I officiated at a game and a player was red carded for a tackle. The team who had the player sent off were outrage and told me so. The team whose player was the victim of the tackle congratulated me for being brave enough to take the action I did. Interestingly a neutral observer told me afterwards that he felt i was correct in that decision. I did try to explain my reason for issuing the red card but I can hold my hand on my heart and say not one player who was asking was interested in the answer.

So in one incident you have polar views in which I was both heavily criticised but also praised. As FM says above it is a game of opinions.

I will always talk to people if they wish to show me respect and if not then why should I bother ?

One certain poster on here had a right go at me over a free kick I did not award and went a little over the top with it and wasn't, at first, prepared to listen to my view. Eventually he did though :)

He was enquiring as to why I hadn't cautioned one of the opposition when one of his team had been cautioned for a similar offence 3 weeks prior.

I was trying to explain that I couldn't comment on what had happened in a previous game when I wasn't there to witness it and would have said that I am aware that managers want consistency but the most they can hope for is that a referee is consistent over 90 minutes.

We all have our own tolerance levels and also the spirit in which a game is played can help determine when a card is to be used. A careless tackle in a good natured game is less likely to result in a yellow card than a similar tackle in a heated game.

Obviously there can come a time in a game when a referee needs to stamp his authority on it and may use a card for an offence that he did not earlier in the game.

If I may continue .... I refereed a game last week which was very niggly and the secretary of the away club wanted to speak to me afterwards. I invited him in to the dressing room and he made one or two points about things that had gone on. I gave him my responses and I accept that he was correct on one of his points. We both had our say and shook hands afterwards.

A game of opinions. Sometimes the officials are wrong and if we know we are then we should be big enough to hold our hands up Doesn't change anything but hopefully shows that we are human

FM

I think you may have me slightly mixed up with some else who was standing just as close as me and did directly ask a question. I will always listen to a point of view and judge it on its merits. What i do think is unaceptable is any referee taking foul language at a volume where every person in the ground can hear it without any action being taken regardless if its from one of my player or opperstion the 22 men on the pitch have to respect you but if they are allowed to talk to officals like that not one of them really will. Every child watching the game watches that go unpunished some of the prudish supporters walk away others take there children elsewhere next week none of that helps football at all.

A good game of football can not exist without a good show from the man in the middle unfortunately we all seem to have these issues and maybe the respect campaign has created more of a problem from the referees point of view as sometimes it seems he/she feels its due without anything going back the other way which is never truly going to happen it must be a mutual feeling (see the comment from jurg)

My advice (for what its worth!) Start with the managers if they can shout and swear at you others will follow.

By and large the officials are good guys when you sit and chat after a game which i try to do as much as poss but it does amaze me that so little of that personality comes out during a game (in some cases of course).

We have gone a little off subject here but its a super xxxl can of worms we have opened !!

FM

I think you may have me slightly mixed up with some else who was standing just as close as me and did directly ask a question. I will always listen to a point of view and judge it on its merits. What i do think is unaceptable is any referee taking foul language at a volume where every person in the ground can hear it without any action being taken regardless if its from one of my player or opperstion the 22 men on the pitch have to respect you but if they are allowed to talk to officals like that not one of them really will. Every child watching the game watches that go unpunished some of the prudish supporters walk away others take there children elsewhere next week none of that helps football at all.

A good game of football can not exist without a good show from the man in the middle unfortunately we all seem to have these issues and maybe the respect campaign has created more of a problem from the referees point of view as sometimes it seems he/she feels its due without anything going back the other way which is never truly going to happen it must be a mutual feeling (see the comment from jurg)

My advice (for what its worth!) Start with the managers if they can shout and swear at you others will follow.

By and large the officials are good guys when you sit and chat after a game which i try to do as much as poss but it does amaze me that so little of that personality comes out during a game (in some cases of course).

We have gone a little off subject here but its a super xxxl can of worms we have opened !!

Chessy Boy ... wasn't referring to you in either of the incidents that I quoted.

However we may bump in to each other in the not too distant future!!

One of the points made to me by a secretary last week was that I had allowed a player to tell me to f*** off and I am not certain that he believed me when I told him that I did not hear the player. The problem is sometimes there is so much shouting and hollering from all and sundry that officials do not always hear what people around the ground hear. It wasn't that I chose not to hear it I just didn't hear it at all

That probably makes me hard of hearing as well as having poor eyesight!

FM

Chessy Boy ... wasn't referring to you in either of the incidents that I quoted.

One of the points made to me by a secretary last week was that I had allowed a player to tell me to f*** off and I am not certain that he believed me when I told him that I did not hear the player. The problem is sometimes there is so much shouting and hollering from all and sundry that officials do not always hear what people around the ground hear. It wasn't that I chose not to hear it I just didn't hear it at all

Hard of hearing and poor eysight? sounds like you may done 33 of my games this year already !!!

It can be hard to make sense of it all i know but the instance i was talking about was the most blatant eye contact abuse and in a lull in noise which made it seem even louder, i have heard all season every ref has to clamp down on that for the reasons stated in my last post.

Ill look forward to bumping in to you fella we can have a chat about why you have sent off half my team for swearing smile.gif

FM

Hard of hearing and poor eysight? sounds like you may done 33 of my games this year already !!!

It can be hard to make sense of it all i know but the instance i was talking about was the most blatant eye contact abuse and in a lull in noise which made it seem even louder, i have heard all season every ref has to clamp down on that for the reasons stated in my last post.

Ill look forward to bumping in to you fella we can have a chat about why you have sent off half my team for swearing smile.gif

Come and say hello before the game

Whilst I don't agree with the foul language we hear at our level, it is hardly different to going to a Prem ground and hearing 40k people shouting the referee is a self-pleasurer, or as many used to sing when he was here, eff off Mourinho.