Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

OLD ENFIELD FC PICTURES

thecoldend

Just discovered this site from the Daily Mail. http://mailpictures.newsprints.co.uk/

Search under 'enfield fc' and it brings up some really good historic pictures of the old club.

http://mailpictures.newsprints.co.uk/view/19511004/elib_asscmmglpict000005026359_jpg - E's v Barnet in the FA CUP

http://mailpictures.newsprints.co.uk/view/19527765/elib_asscmmglpict000005054710_jpg - much before my time but a great photo of the triumphant E's team in the FA Amateur Cup Replay over Skelmersdale

http://mailpictures.newsprints.co.uk/view/19462476/elib_asscmmglpict000005022809_jpg - Southbury Road 1990's

http://mailpictures.newsprints.co.uk/view/19457664/elib_asscmmglpict000005011748_jpg - entitled "Enfield Town FC" team group photo from 1959/60

There's a few more on there.. What annoys me is when you type in Southbury Road in brings up Saracens v Leicester at 'Enfield Town Football Club on Southbury Road'

• 12 years later...

I have some old photographs of Southbury Road (RIP) and hope this old thread is appropriate rather than create a new one, I hope they are of interest:

Enfield FC Southbury Road Stadium

Sorry, just searched for 'Enfield fc' and not a sausage!  Your direct links also seem to be dead.  Am I doing something wrong?

That's a really atmospheric pic Rhodes, thank you

I noticed that The Cold End's links above have stopped working but I think I have most of the old photographs so I will try to re-post them:

https://thecoldend.blogspot.com/2009/08/southbury-road-decade-gone.html

Enfield FC Stand, Southbury Road

Those were the days!!!! Saw some players there!!!!  As far back as Jack Rawlings, Len West etc and all the best who followed them.

I wonder what EFC's fortunes might have become had the Conference not done a deal wit the Football League in 1986 to withdraw our nomination for promotion, for one automatic promotion the following year. We will never know!!!!! 

There are some fond memories here too, en route to lifting the FA Trophy in 1987/88 against Telford United after a hard fought replay at the Hawthorns following a 0-0 draw at Wembley. I guess that's an argument for no replays, or penalties after a replay, as the Club played ten ties in the Trophy that season, it was disappointing though to exit the FA Cup at the Fourth Qualifying Round stage that season, 2-1 at home to Aylesbury United after Enfield had lead at half time through Nicky Francis's goal:

FA Trophy 1988

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

... following a 0-0 draw at Wembley....

I remember that as being the best 0-0 draw I have ever seen, although my memory can't remember why, I guess it was just a good game.

40 minutes ago, dwhe said:

I remember that as being the best 0-0 draw I have ever seen

Better than the 0-0 draw at Preston in 1999 or weren't you at Deepdale 😉, you're right though as it was a great game at Wembley:

image.jpeg.5733e73697a7f94d9672540b429b485a.jpeg

16 hours ago, dwhe said:

Geez, the amount of games I spent squashed behind the wooden boards behind the goals.

dwhe - Were you disappointed that the Barnsley FA Cup Fourth Round Replay, in 1980/81, was switched to White Hart Lane despite the attendance there of 35,244, I felt that if it had been allowed to go ahead at Southbury Road the result could have been different and possibly a Fifth Round tie at Ayresome Park. Can you remember why Tottenham produced the 'programme', for want of a better word, on the night and not Enfield:

Picture 1 of 1

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

dwhe - Were you disappointed that the Barnsley FA Cup Fourth Round Replay, in 1980/81, was switched to White Hart Lane despite the attendance there of 35,244, I felt that if it had been allowed to go ahead at Southbury Road the result could have been different and possibly a Fifth Round tie at Ayresome Park. Can you remember why Tottenham produced the 'programme', for want of a better word, on the night and not Enfield:

Picture 1 of 1

In a word - money. Bankrolled us into the Alliance Premier League the following season 

Yep I remember it well, Father Jack is right.

The attendance showed our potential, which was ruined as we all know. I don't remember anything about the programme.

Following some of the links on here I come across some stuff about one of my biggest memories, the Anglo Italian Cup, I could have sworn when we won 3-0 that was the 2nd leg (we won the second leg 2-1), I remember running on the pitch after the game and getting their goalkeepers autograph (Domatrachi I think) and Jonny Connell, what a player.

I don't remember this in 76

" Enfield’s 1976 match at Pistoiese was abandoned in the second half as the visitors’ manager Fred Callaghan ordered his players off the pitch in protest at the barrage of dangerous tackles, gamesmanship and abuse directed at his team. Far from calming the situation, this move sparked further chaos. It took Enfield, along with their four supporters who had been shepherded into the changing rooms for their own safety, several hours to escape the stadium after their team bus was surrounded by a mob of irate supporters.

Source

https://calcioengland.com/2019/09/07/the-farcical-mismatches-of-the-anglo-italian-cup-the-semi-professional-years-1976-86/

dwhe - That's interesting, thanks, lessons should have been learned shouldn't they from the original Professional tournament, between 1970 and 1973, I remember the very first Final in 1970 between Swindon Town and Napoli which was abandoned. Yes, Enfield were losing 2-0 to Pistoiese in 1976 when Fred Callaghan took the team off and the game was abandoned however they were already out of the tournament having drawn the first two group matches at Southbury Road to Teramo and Pistoiese and then losing 2-1 to Teramo in Italy before travelling to Pistoiese:

https://www.rsssf.org/tablesa/angloit76.html

Picture 1 of 5

On 24/01/2024 at 22:59, dwhe said:

Yep I remember it well, Father Jack is right.The attendance showed our potential, which was ruined as we all know. I don't remember anything about the programme.
Following some of the links on here I come across some stuff about one of my biggest memories, the Anglo Italian Cup, I could have sworn when we won 3-0 that was the 2nd leg (we won the second leg 2-1), I remember running on the pitch after the game and getting their goalkeepers autograph (Domatrachi I think) and Jonny Connell, what a player.

I don't remember this in 76

" Enfield’s 1976 match at Pistoiese was abandoned in the second half as the visitors’ manager Fred Callaghan ordered his players off the pitch in protest at the barrage of dangerous tackles, gamesmanship and abuse directed at his team. Far from calming the situation, this move sparked further chaos. It took Enfield, along with their four supporters who had been shepherded into the changing rooms for their own safety, several hours to escape the stadium after their team bus was surrounded by a mob of irate supporters.

Source

https://calcioengland.com/2019/09/07/the-farcical-mismatches-of-the-anglo-italian-cup-the-semi-professional-years-1976-86/

dwhe - You're talking about 1970 aren't you so that was the Coppa Ottorino Barassi and not the Anglo Italian Cup, it was contested between the FA Amateur Cup winners and the Italian equivalent over two legs. The first leg against Ponte San Pietro, from Northern Italy, was 3-0 at Southbury Road but Ponte San Pietro won the Second Leg 2-1, it was Umberto Domenghini in goal for them:

Picture 2 of 2

Edited by Rhodes

dwhe - It would be interesting to know if anyone travelled over to Italy for the Second Leg, ten days later on Saturday 30 October 1970, despite the tie being all over bar the shouting with Enfield having won the First Leg 3-0 at Southbury Road, didn't you fancy the trip to Northern Italy, about 25 miles from Milan 😉: