Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

New England Manager?

Ray Wilkins should be there or abouts. Harry will get it.

Quite agree. Those two + a certain Under 21's manager alongside.

I feel the job should be given to someone young who hasn't yet properly proved themselves and preferably someone who has been on the sidelines or is already involved in the England setup and so is used to the environment. Stuart Pearce has a chance now so we will see how he does. Other young managers who have found league football challenging such as Gareth Southgate could do well instead for England. I don't think Harry Redknapp would be a good choice as he is currently having an amazing season so far with Tottenham and should play it out at least for two seasons, even though it would be better for other clubs below if spurs struggled without him.

Don't agree with this - They tried a young manager in Steve McLaren who was clearly out of his depth with the job. I think Stuart Pearce will eventually be England manager but I reckon the F.A. are looking at him longer term. That will give him the chance to work with other managers like Capello, Redknapp, Eriksson etc. Redknapp or Hodgson for me (think Hodgson is a better national manager than a club manager).

Redknapp is appointed temporary manager for the Euros and does indeed call up Scholes despite him being totally overrun by Yaya Toure and Nigel de Jong as Man U lost their title with two games to go at the Etihad. However the ginger is injured in the last game of the season while fouling Cattermole, in a game in which he was playing rubbish and Sunderland were winning anyway (handing second place to Tottenham), and Sir Lee is called up in his place. With Cattermole starting all 6 games and not being booked until the semifinal against Spain, England win the tournament. Harry Redknapp is knighted.

Best laugh i've had for ages. Cheers Thommo, you never let me down.

Can you make more use of your talents and text me this weeks lotto numbers.

Edited by Hornchurch "O"

Simon, Roy Hodgson led Fulham to 8th in the Prem a few seasons back. Any manager who can do that is a good club manager :)

Steve Mclaren did not jump into the job either, he was no. 2 to Sven for a good while in what was the best recent period for England with a few quarter final appearances.

I'm wondering though whether Avram Grant could be the best person to jump in and take charge of England for the Euros. Even though he's not English, he did well with Israel, apparently finishing 3rd in the qualifying groups for Euro 2004 and World Cup 2006. He could do as well as Sven or maybe better.

Yes, he's an underrated manager is old Avram, at club level too. A Scholes red card (and maybe Ferdinand too) and a Terry missed pen from the double himself rather than Sir Alex in '08.

Re Roy, Wiv - and the Europa League (still UEFA Cup then) final! I think a temporary manager for the tournament would be OK, then a full-time appointment. Sir Alex took over the sweaties for the '86 World Cup, remember (not that he did very well, but still...), while still in the Aberdeen job (he joined Man U in November that year).

Anyone would get my vote, as long as Scholes isn't in the team I'd support the team and the manager against anyone (and I include Germany in that)

Not disagreeing with you ant, Hodgeson is a good manager, but he built his reputation as the manager of Switzerland and didnt do too much at liverpool. I just think hes better suited as a national manager. As for mclaren, some number twos make it, some dont and i dont think he did too well for england as manager. Pearce has worked as the England u21 manager for a while which i thinks will give him a big advantage in the future.

One number 2 who definitely did make it is Joachim Low, what a job he's doing for Germany (though you could say he did the tactics even when Klinsmann was manager)

On that theme, how about Klinsmann (if you consider non-Englishmen) if/when he leaves the USA job?!

Chris Hughton? Brum beating Chelsea 1-0 atm

First black England manager that'd be, which would mean he'd break two barriers - he was the first black Ireland international.

(Don't suppose England's first - Viv Anderson's up to much at the mo?)

England's first black captain could do with a job too - Incey?