Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ex-SSML Striker Signs For AFC Wimbledon

To be fair it's not exactly Arsenal, Tottenham or Chelsea is it, Club's such as AFC Wimbledon will always be on the look out for players from Non League football

Still a good move for him though, hope it works out, he was always a threat for Chalfont.

Was fouled to win his side a penalty, and scored a debut goal three minutes later in his first game - helping Maidenhead to a shock 2-0 win at Woking on Saturday. Won't do his cause any harm!

To be fair it's not exactly Arsenal, Tottenham or Chelsea is it, Club's such as AFC Wimbledon will always be on the look out for players from Non League football

I dont think going from Chalfont to the Premier League is ever going to happen !!!!. Remember this a non league forum for non league . Very well done to him, as still at a Football League club and how many players have played in the SSMFL and made it to a pro club.

Two recent ones who played for Hertford Town a few years back were Scott Neilson to Bradford City (now at Crawley Town) and Michael Bakare who moved just last month to Macclesfield. Neilson played 26 times for Hertford before moving on to Ware and then Cambridge City. Bakare was signed by Hertford after playing for Haringay Borough in a 0-9 reverse to the Blues! He played as a left back but always wanted to be a striker. Had been playing for Chelmsford City and Bishop's Stortford this season, scoring lots of goals.

how many players have played in the SSMFL and made it to a pro club.

Good question, from my memory I can recall two, Ben Strevens (Wingate & Finchley) went on to play for Barnet, Brentford and Wycombe Wanders, while Dave Kitson (Arlesey Town) played for Cambridge United, Reading, Stoke City, Middlesborough and Portsmouth. (Even playing and scoring in the Premier League whilst with Reading, he also played at the top level with Stoke City)

I'm sure there have been others and the forumites will let us know.

I think Jermaine Beckford and Vince Bartram both played for Brook House when they were in SSML? I may be wrong though...

Edited by NeutralFan

Mikele Leigertwood cut his teeth at Haringey Borough

I think Jermaine Beckford and Vince Bartram both played for Brook House when they were in SSML? I may be wrong though...

Barry hayles and les Ferdinand had a spell each at London Colney I was told....

I played against Barry Hayles in one of my first senior games in the Spartan League, he was playing left back for Willesdon Hawkeye .... he scored a hat trick!

I played against Barry Hayles in one of my first senior games in the Spartan League, he was playing left back for Willesdon Hawkeye .... he scored a hat trick!

Hahahaha

I came on and played right mid... he'd already scored two at that point! After flattening me in an arial challenge he then went around 3 more players before firing in top corner for his third!

What about the other way around, ie Pro Club's to the SSML in their twilight years, or are there too many to mention

What about the other way around, ie Pro Club's to the SSML in their twilight years, or are there too many to mention

Pete "skull" Foley 2nd all time Oxford united scorer player manager Oxford city in south mids

Tony Galvin (Spurs) played for Royston Town

Kerry Dixon (Chelsea) played for Letchworth Garden City

Mark Watts (Luton) played for Selby

Mark Lawrenson (Liverpool) played for Thame United

Edited by Karen Browne

The Great Kenny Dyer, Arsenal, Tottenham, Charlton and Player Manager at Haringey Borough in 2004/2005:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Dyer

The Great Kenny Dyer, Arsenal, Tottenham, Charlton and Player Manager at Haringey Borough in 2004/2005:

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Kenny_Dyer

How many football league appearances did the great Kenny make?

Horace - I'm not sure, does it matter. I wonder how many former SSML players or coaches, other than Kenny Dyer, have gone on to manage a National team.