Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

FA Competition draws

I'm hearing that the FA Cup, Vase and Trophy draws are out this Friday so just thought I'd open up a thread on it.

But while we're waiting for that to arrive, what would you prefer your team to come out of the hat with?

1) An away game against a lower ranked side - winnable tie at a different ground for a change

2) An away game against a more glamorous name - better gate receipts

3) A home game against a lower ranked side - chances of progress are greater, so a bigger cash prize from the FA.

4) A home game against a more glamorous name - better gate receipts and an opportunity to get some less regular supporters along to a "bigger" match

In addition, would you rather play at another CCL club or travel miles to deepest Sussex/Kent/Hampshire to a ground you would probably never visit otherwise?

If you asked people at my club, you'd probably get a variation of answers depending on whether you were a player, an official or a supporter, but for what it's worth, I'd always go for the longer journey to somewhere different. Last season we were lucky to go to the picturesque Arundel ground once again, and later on we had a lucrative visit to Bognor Regis, where we were roundly stuffed but received over £1,100 in a share of the gate after expenses.That was a good draw.

But does anyone else have any views?

I would like to see us play anyone other than Flackwell Heath. In our first season we played them in the Vase and last season we had them in the FA Cup. Avoiding Oxford City Nomads would also be nice as we have played them two seasons running in the Vase.

An away game against a club outside of the CCL would be nice. I wonder what the chances would be of getting an Essex Senior League side just to make my journey easier. Failing that, I could always trot out the cliche about not caring who we get as long as it is a home tie. But if I had to stick my neck out, a home tie against Ascot Utd of the Hellenic would be brilliant. A tasty little local derby which should attract a half decent crowd.

Options 1 or 2 for us would be nice.

So far, three FA Cup ties, three home draws and six FA Vase ties and four at home.

And a non CCL club (of the above 9 ties, 6 have been CCL teams).

Not been to any Wessex grounds, so one of those would be my ideal choice.

Sits back and waits for home ties against CCL Prem oppo to arrive!

Last season we were lucky enough to reach the first round proper at Slough and hold Mansfield to two draws eventually going out on pens......

Whilst that was fantastic and we gained a load of money from it, we then had such a backlog that we lost ground and finished just outside the playoffs so whilst the FA Cup can provide a much needed cash injection it could also prove to be the downfall of your whole season.

As for this year, I would love a local game.....perhaps Windsor which should get a decent crowd

Last season we beat Shoreham in a replay at Wibbandune before visiting Maidstone United and losing 1-4. We did well out of that fixture. In the Vase, we had a good run before bowing out to Ascot United.

It is always preferable visiting new clubs or having any home tie.

Bang out of order this is!

11.00 they said, and it's 11.05 now. Do the FA realise how many thousands of people are hitting the refresh button on their site right now?

ok just me then :)

Home to Chinnor then the possibility of 2 CCL sides away in the next 2 rounds if we get through any of them. 

Pretty Dull draw for us this year.

We have an all Step Five draw.

Whyteleafe (A)

winners play Epsom Athletic or Croydon (A)

winners play Sevenoaks, Horley, Holmesdale or East Grinstead (H)

Vase - Whyteleafe (H) in second qualifying round after a 1q bye

Would have liked to avoid the same team in both comps, but overall to get £6,425 in total we only have to get past other Step Five sides, so can't really argue with that.

Note that Guernsey go to Crawley Down Gatwick and Hastings or Ramsgate (A) in 1q should they progress. No one gets to go to the island. Yet!

Home v Croydon Athletic in FA Cup. Winners home v East Preston or Crowborough. Winners of that away v Erith & Belvedere or Chatham Town.

Home v Dorking in FA Vase. Winners away v Oakwood or Glebe

Away v Folkestone Invicta in FA Youth Cup :(

Edited by Chris Clapham