Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Feb Respect Report

Here's the report, Jonno will be pleased about the bibs comment ?

Tables can be found following the link presuming it works

https://resources.thefa.com/images/ftimages/data/league522238936/64815.xls

Spartan South Midland Football League Discipline, Respect & Referees

Sub – Committee February Report Season 2016/ 2017 By Bob Flight

A steady month which showed an increase of clubs in the good green sections of the Respect tables and two divisions maintaining the improvement of January. Division One maintained their

level of January although still at a lower 47.6% in the good green section. The Premier saw 63.5% (63.7% last month) of clubs in the green section. Division two fell slightly to 66.6% (68.4% last month) of clubs and the Development Division increased to 56.2% (50% last month). There were seven Bench incidents during the period which was way too many and still way above the overall total of last season.

Premier Division

The same three clubs continue to lead the way at the top of the table, and the whilst the same three clubs still occupy the bottom places, their performances were a slight improvement during the month in their penalty points per game.

Division One

For the fourth period running, Buckingham Athletic are the pace setters. Previous bottom club Brimsdown have improved and have been replaced by Kensington Borough largely due to their dissent cautions during the month.

Division Two

Three periods on the bounce have seen Clean Slate occupy the top spot. A poor month for the bottom two clubs.

Development Division

A good improvement for most clubs but Biggleswade United still continue to prop up the table.

All those clubs in the brown - need to improve, and red unacceptable sections of the Respect tables must make every effort to stem their penalty points during the remainder of the season.

The best performing clubs with no League Respect penalty points, although some had played only a few games, in the month during February were:-

Premier

Edgware Town and Wembley

Division 1

Harefield United

Division 2

Clean Slate, Old Bradwell, Enfield, Loughton Manor, Thame Rangers, Pitstone & Totternhoe

U25 Development Division

Hertford, Winslow, Holmer Green, Buckingham & Wodson Park

A great effort by all the clubs involved, A very well done to all the above clubs.

Concerns

Clubs must ensure that the new pink Mind Your Language Bibs must be worn by those substitutes on the bench and warming up beside the pitch. Clubs are also warned of their responsibilities regarding items posted on the various social media forums. Any derogatory remarks concerning the League, match officials or other clubs will be dealt with my the League Management Committee accordingly.

Monthly Respect Winner

The February respect winner is:-

Wembley - for their very good Respect performance in the month in attracting zero Respect penalty points in their seven matches played.

Winner to receive £100 of sports clothing goods from sponsors Hereward Sports.

More red tape, when will they learn, We get it in the ear from the FA the county FA and the league. We just want to play football, not worry about bibs and respect programs when referees are poor.

More red tape, when will they learn, We get it in the ear from the FA the county FA and the league. We just want to play football, not worry about bibs and respect programs when referees are poor.

Probably agree about red tape and bibs, but the assumption that "...referees are poor..." seems to validate players arguing with officials rather than players "...playing football..." as you want.

Everyone I have spoken to, at this level, agree that the officiating is at a low point.

What is being done? associations burying their heads. What are the plans to improve this?

Find the route cause and fixing it is always a better option than filling in the cracks. Pink bibs are pointless.

I think that people expect a bit too much.

Step 5 non league football will have step 5 non league referees.

I don't know if I'm in a weird minority, but I'm happy with this level of football and the officiating associated with it.

It is what it is. And it's worked as it is for a very long time.

I understand that people deeply involved with clubs will get frustrated when things go against them. But try to take a step back and remember where we are.

I think that people expect a bit too much.

Step 5 non league football will have step 5 non league referees.

I don't know if I'm in a weird minority, but I'm happy with this level of football and the officiating associated with it.

It is what it is. And it's worked as it is for a very long time.

I understand that people deeply involved with clubs will get frustrated when things go against them. But try to take a step back and remember where we are.

Definitely a minority, probably the only one!

nope I definitely agree with Catdog. at this level the players are division 9 standard so why do they expect referees to be premier league?

Constant moaning and aggtession shown to them will only make the standard worse as fewer people will be willing to do the job.

nope I definitely agree with Catdog. at this level the players are division 9 standard so why do they expect referees to be premier league?

Constant moaning and aggtession shown to them will only make the standard worse as fewer people will be willing to do the job.

.......And this doesn't make sense. I think you'll find everyone agrees, refs shouldnt put up with abuse.

What it doesn't mean is that because they play at a certain standard they should expect poor referring.

The standard needs to improve!

Questions need to be ask!

Why is the standard getting worse?

Why are the leagues seeing the same inconsist refs staying at his level for years and years?

What training are they having?

Rather than point the fingers at players we need to look deeper. The refs are being paid!!!!!

And so do I.

.......And this doesn't make sense. I think you'll find everyone agrees, refs shouldnt put up with abuse.

What it doesn't mean is that because they play at a certain standard they should expect poor referring.

The standard needs to improve!

Questions need to be ask!

Why is the standard getting worse?

Why are the leagues seeing the same inconsist refs staying at his level for years and years?

What training are they having?

Rather than point the fingers at players we need to look deeper. The refs are being paid!!!!!

And so are (many) of the players being paid.

But more importantly, just like players, the best ones move up, and - if, and it is a BIG 'if' - the refereeing standard is getting worse, the questioning of (almost) every decision will be a significant factor as competent referees opt for a quiet life at home on a Saturday afternoon.

I was going to reply to the questions, but the thought why bother. Only thing I will say is, there is inconsistency at the top level and they are professional I believe. We are not going to get it at this level.

Some refs have bad games, some are strict, some are lenient, some have very good games. I suspect some don't agree with some of directives and law changes, but will apply them as that is their job.

To be honest at Division 2 this season I think we've only had a couple of games where I thought the ref was poor.

There are more pressing issues in this league and our level of football in general that are hurting clubs than the standard of referees.

You have to ask yourself

Are you willing to become a referee?

Are you willing to put up with the abuse directed at referees?

I did back in the day when I was young, quite enjoyed it and refereed a junior county cup final at 15. Problem was I wanted to keep playing, so stopped. In all likelihood, I would have progressed further refereeing than playing. But refereeing was not substitute for scoring a winning goal in a shit level Sunday cup final ?

I don't think people on here understand.

I have said time and time again that the abuse should not be tolerated under and circumstances and it makes my blood boil when I see it. I am a huge supporter in stamping it out of the game.

One in ten games I watch I can say the ref was decent.

The standard is poor. That is fact

Why not start pilot schemes for sin bins etc. It should be trialled at this level.

And yes I became a ref many years ago, I found it very satisfying and can it remember a single incident which threw the game in to termoil.

Again as I've said before route cause analysis is required.

If the referring was of a better standard there wouldn't be this discussion.

Archived