Welcome to the new software - Please read! Read more... ×
Fans Focus - Non League football clubs
Sign in to follow this  
DerekR

Enfield Town V Harrow Borough

I referred back to my post following the Dulwich game and it is giving clear credit for the performance in that game. But the problem is that we have not been consistent in our tactics or our performance. If you wish to consider previous games consider, Hendon away, FOLKESTONE away, by far the worst performance by a Town team for many years, Brightlingsea Regent and Royston Town and Leiston. I was at all of those games and our performances were poor.

My comments after the Dulwich game,

"But we were still nowhere close to the best team on the park." (Quote from MT Head)

Disagree MT Head. Of course we were the best team because we won by two clear goals. Yes we had to rely a lot on Wright yet again but he is part of the team. Compare Wright's performance with their goalie who dropped the ball into his net as he was under pressure. Their goalie is part of their team.

So we had a better goalie and, in the end, we had better tactics. Yes they moved the ball about a bit and their passing was often better than ours but on many occasions in the second half they were lost for ideas. At the final whistle we were on the attack again.

When they came out looking for a point, the same mistake that Folkestone made in the first quarter of an hour or so, our forwards found the space to finish them off. I do agree that Mickey should be playing wide up front and that Ward-Cochrane deserves to play from KO but the manager had the tactics right today and deserves credit for that.

We beat a side who are looking for the championship at the end of the season, who had not been beaten away this season and the Town had never beaten home or away. Half full? I am drunk on success and give me a glass of that every week.

Still he needs another 16 points from 7 games to meet his target a very tall order with two away matches to come."

A simple statement of fact Andy, they are a well established club and, after all that went on last summer, with BQ jumping ship and taking most of our players with him, it is no great surprise that Folkestone are ahead of us at this stage of the season. AL is working his socks off to bring us success, but it takes time, and it certainly doesn't provide encouragement or support for the cause, when certain individual are continually sniping at AL on here, with one even telling him to walk. Pathetic!

To be fair, forums will have people with viewpoints from all spectrums of the scale and no one persons option is more valid or correct than the next persons.I feel we are quite balanced on our forum.Yes we have a few over-critical members.Just as we have a few over-optimistic members.I also feel the comments are mostly justified.The manager and the team get criticized when the performance is less than acceptable for the standards we strive for.I also feel that due praise is given when a good performance is produced. 

Some perfectly valid comments made by LS and Steph1. No one would disagree that we all want success for our club, or that there have been some very disappointing performances and results in some matches this season. We have no divine right to success, it doesn't happen overnight, and it takes time, patience, planning, and lots of hardwork, on and off the field.

Under BQ we were moving in the right direction, but he decided not to see the project through, and left with most of our best players, many whom have since moved on to other clubs. Even Brad had his bad days, and Steph will remember our cup exit at sleepy Kings Langley, to name but one!

Andy Leese has only been with us a short while, but he is open, honest, approachable, pro-active, and deserves our support. He may not achieve all his points targets, but it won't be because of lack of effort, more because his team-building is still work in progress this season.

Exactly. We have no devine right to success. We are a club which is the same as any other. All are striving to win the league, yet there will only be one champion. As for BQ leaving with most of last year's team, that's history now, just like we are not EFC, so why can we not just stick to matters in hand?

I think this season is potentially developing into an exciting one. We need to skip a couple of immediate hurdles for my optimism to be shared, starting with 2 away League games at Worthing and Kingstonian. Could you imagine the optimism if we came back with 6 points and then immediately have 2 home v Merstham and Tonbridge to hurdle.

It’s all to be play for in my opinion, end of January League table will be interesting

Throughout the season we have been winning one/losing one on average.Letting in as many goals as we are scoring.Unless that significantly improves then the end of the league table will not be that interesting at all,.

I am interested in the various views and I respect all of them. I am 12,000 miles away so do not have the luxury ofactually seeing the team play. I can only go on the facts and what people say. After 24 games last year, by my

calculations, we had 36 points. This year, we have 34 points. After all the off season turmoil, with a manager and 80 -90% of the squad leaving, I would have taken where we are now at the start of the season and I think most

people would have too, if they are honest.

Would I like to have seen the team higher - of course I would but I think we have to support the management team in

their rebuilding project. That's all I can offer to the debate.

Wilson- you can always be an Enfield Town Tifosy subscriber and catch all the home league games filmed footage straight to your laptop and contribute to any future success, I’m sure the board would afford you hospitality on any UK visit in return

A simple statement of fact Andy, they are a well established club and, after all that went on last summer, with BQ jumping ship and taking most of our players with him, it is no great surprise that Folkestone are ahead of us at this stage of the season. AL is working his socks off to bring us success, but it takes time, and it certainly doesn't provide encouragement or support for the cause, when certain individual are continually sniping at AL on here, with one even telling him to walk. Pathetic!

Once again Littlehampton I am in agreement with you.But unfortunately a few members on here seem to have an agenda to find fault with every performance by the team and decision by the management/Board.

Longevity must make people more cynical and pessimistic.Those who have been on this forum forever and have thousands of posts seem to be the most critical.Whilst the fresh faced 'under 100 posts' members seem to be eternally buoyant and positive with a 'corner' always just about to be turned.

Fresh faced 57 year old ?.... must be the new moisturiser my partner brought me ......

Certainly not buoyant but am realistic and appreciative of a job well done......

Only two more posts and I become a cynical grumpy old sod ☹️

Edited by Theodopolous

I think that Andy and Darren have done well over the first half of the season, taking what they were given upon arrival. Success for me this year would be : (1) a higher points total for the second half of the season than achieved for the first; (2) continuing to build the squad and bringing on a few prospects such as Jack and Ben; (3) signing up key players for next season to avoid the close season trauma of losing our best, hopefully to include Joe, Micky, Aaron and  both Ryans; (4) retaining Andy and Darren for next season.

Keeping an unbeaten home league record; winning the League Cup or making the play offs would be a fantastic bonus.

nb A word of caution, Worthing will be a much tougher place to visit than has been the case for most of the season to date. 

I do get a bit suspicious when new forum members arrive on here at about the same time as a new manager arrives and then seems to disappear of the face of the earth when that manager is no longer involved with he club.Has happened quite a few times in the past.

I managed to watch some games last year, not as many as I would have liked, but have often read this forum. This year due to personal circumstances changing, I’m aroumd more and am pleased to be able to get to many more, so I thought I would delve in and join this forum. I find it quite exciting that I can start supporting more at the beginning of a new and exciting journey for Etfc. The thing that originally appealed to me about Etfc was the fans! Having been around the block a bit, I was impressed with the atmosphere at the club, and how supportive the fans really were. Don’t lose that, you really are the 12th player. I do believe we have the basis of a great team and agree with all the recent comments. Last year is done and dusted and when people keep going on about it, it sounds a bit like Uncle Albert.... “During the war....”. Lol!! Onwards and upwards Etfc!!!

I do get a bit suspicious when new forum members arrive on here at about the same time as a new manager arrives and then seems to disappear of the face of the earth when that manager is no longer involved with he club.Has happened quite a few times in the past.

I might have only posted 15 times according to the stats (I thought it was more) but there's no chance of me disappearing. I was born in Carterhatch Road, was a foundation member of this club, I have a named seat in the far stand and I supported Enfield FC from the 1950s until ETFC was formed. I watched a number of games in 2011/12 when we came back to England. Not certain when/if I will get back again but if I do I will be watching again. I hope the club can consolidate on the first half of the season. The Play offs are not yet out of the question - difficult but still possible.

Andy set his own high standard of what he considered would be successful and it is by that standard that I am judging him. In that standard there is no doubt or question he failed. I think it was a foolish thing to say that he was looking for 20 points out of the next 10 games in an earlier programme.

I also believe he was foolish when he turned on the opposition supporters at Royston. It is not an example to give to the players or the fans. We have sacked a manager before for similar activities. (There was no racial content in Andy's comments but there was less provocation than our previous manager suffered)

I was also at Folkestone and the performance in that game was not what I would expect from an Enfield team. The team as a whole appeared to give up with no effort at all.

There has been some good games as well but for many of them we have depended on an outstanding performance by our keeper. But our keeper is part of the team and we are entitled to expect outstanding performances from all of our players. 

Perhaps I am too demanding but I believe that there are better managers out there and I look forward to January 18th which is the forum where our manager can explain his actions and comment on those three occasions mentioned above.

I don't think it's unreasonable to set ambitious points targets, and put them in writing - it might well act as motivation for the squad and the management (i.e. "we've said we're going to try to do this now, so let's prove that we can"). I see no problem with aiming high, and would rather he targetted 20 and fell short than targetting a lower figure and only just making it. As far as I'm aware, he didn't say that we would get 20 points - it was an aim.

As for Royston, I was pretty close to the incident as well in that I heard some of Andy's responses, but not what was said to him in the first place. I thought at the time that he was defending Simon Thomas from criticism from some of our fans, but without knowing what was said initially, I can't say anything with certainty.

I've said this before so many times, but I view this appointment as a long term project, not a quick fix (you need a lot of money to bring it players for an instant fix). Yes, there have been some pretty poor performances along the way, and some less than exciting football played, and I'm sure Andy and Darren won't argue that point. I do think that the trend is one of gradual improvement, albeit 3 steps forwards, 2 steps back and I'm more than willing to give the management team my support and enough time to do the job. There are plenty of examples of successful managers that haven't got it quite right initially but have in the longer term, there are also plenty of examples of hasty knee-jerk management changes that do nothing for the long term stability of clubs.

Targets have to realistic. If someone says we are aiming for 20 points over a number of games, then that person truly believes that figure is achievable. If the target is not reached, then questions need to be asked.

Having just caught up with recent comments it is encouraging to see a last members are expressing their views in a more civilised manner, even when comments may be diametrically opposed to their own.

Reading to days observations, certain points are being raised that I expressed several months ago but which were met with great hostility. I do hope that the current trend continues because it makes much better reading, especially for those of us who are currently unable to attend for what ever reason.

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder and I find that I am now looking for the result first, hoping for a win, and then for members comments as to how we played.

I find it difficult to make any contribution when I haven't seen it with my own eyes. Do I hear some say " Thank God for that!!!!"  but from the Forum I get an overall picture of what's happening. So keep it up.