Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What does this mean for the SSML? and non league ⚽?

Smallholder - Welcome back, I know you like your music so did you see the thread on another Forum entitled 'Non League Football Mentions In Music'. I'm afraid it doesn't mention the likes of Judas Priest, Slade, Black Sabbath, Wizzard, ELO, Dexys Midnight Runners, Shy, Duran Duran, Cloven Hoof, The Mighty Lemon Drops, Fine Young Cannibals, or Balaam and the Angel however you might be interested: 

Non League football mentions in music | NonLeagueMatters Forums

Edited by Rhodes

There's a petition, for all the good it will do, entitled 'Save the National League football clubs with urgent support grants – not loans' urging the Government to change their mind and provide grants as opposed to loans:

Petition · Save the National League football clubs with urgent support grants – not loans · Change.org

National League clubs are facing catastrophe and a perilous situation in the next few days. We need a sustainable lifeline that does not leave clubs facing future ruin. After changing the terms of its support in the middle of the season, the government must reverse its decision to offer loans and now fulfil its promise of a new grant. Our clubs play an immeasurable role in communities all over the UK and provide immense structures of support for many. Current government loan offers have moved the financial goalposts mid-season and jeopardised the future of our clubs. Without adequate and fair funding, the National League will not survive, with consequences felt by thousands of players, supporters and club staff across the UK for many years to come. 

Edited by Rhodes

Alison McGovern MP, Shadow Minister for Sport, who was on Ollie Bayliss's BBC Three Counties Radio Non League Show on Sunday, has today written a letter to Nigel Huddleston MP, the Under Secretary of State for the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS), for all the good it will do:

Billede

Just a thought on clubs the conference, for far too long they have been paying ludicrous wages totally out of whack with what they generate. That has filtered down, all the way to this level when lads who are pretty basic are expecting a good few pound notes to play. If any good comes of this it’ll be taking the silly money out of ‘wage budgets’ 

Another joint statement, this time from seventeen of the National League North and South Club's, stating that 'Clubs who are unable to commit to fixtures should continue to have their campaign held in suspense by the National League and do so without fear of any sanctions':

Billede

Three statements from National League South Club's Chippenham Town, Slough Town and Concord Rangers. Chippenham Town state that 'In the present climate, the Club cannot afford to fulfil its fixture at Dorking Wanderers this weekend and on a fixture-by-fixture basis will not do so until the outcomes are known', Slough Town want to allow Club's to decide their own 'fate' and preferably make the season null and void and Concord Rangers are surprisingly content to re-commence their season next Tuesday (9 February) however they are unable to fulfil their fixture on Saturday due to player safety and have notified the League:

NL SOUTH FIXTURES AND POSSIBLE SUSPENSION OF 2020/21 SEASON - CLUB STATEMENT (pitchero.com)

Club statement: An update for supporters | The Official website of Slough Town FC - latest news, photos and videos

Club Statement from Chairman Ant Smith – (concordrangers.co.uk)

AFC Fylde make a good point don't they, in a statement the Club say that 'teams are prepared to play in their FA Trophy fixtures but have the hypocrisy to declare themselves unavailable to fulfil their league fixtures, we sincerely hope that the National League take a tough line on those taking this stance'. Darlington and Southport play in the FA Trophy tomorrow however have declared themselves unavailable to fulfil their National League North fixtures on the Tuesday:

CLUB STATEMENT| An update on the Guiseley AFC fixture and the integrity of the competition | AFC Fylde

Billede

5 hours ago, Rhodes said:

AFC Fylde make a good point don't they, in a statement the Club say that 'teams are prepared to play in their FA Trophy fixtures but have the hypocrisy to declare themselves unavailable to fulfil their league fixtures, we sincerely hope that the National League take a tough line on those taking this stance'. Darlington and Southport play in the FA Trophy tomorrow however have declared themselves unavailable to fulfil their National League North fixtures on the Tuesday:

CLUB STATEMENT| An update on the Guiseley AFC fixture and the integrity of the competition | AFC Fylde

Billede

I think the £ sign in the bottom left of the photo may have something to do with teams playing FA Trophy games and not playing League fixtures, or am I just being cynical? 

21 minutes ago, petethegreek said:

I think the £ sign in the bottom left of the photo may have something to do with teams playing FA Trophy games and not playing League fixtures, or am I just being cynical? 

Spot on. Money, they need it. 

Chelmsford City's view is refreshing isn't it rather than just throwing in the towel as is the case with the majority of National League South and North Club's, the Club currently sit eleventh in the National League South, seven points off a play off place, so it's not like there is a hidden agenda and having one eye on promotion:

Billede

On 05/02/2021 at 10:48, Rhodes said:

Billede

This afternoon's FA Trophy Fifth Round results:

Sutton United 0 Woking 1
Aldershot Town P Chesterfield (Covid related)
Darlington 4 Wealdstone 1
Hereford 1 Leamington 0
Havant & Waterlooville 2 Notts County 2 (Notts County won 4-2 on pens)
Southport 0 Torquay United 2
Oxford City 2 Peterborough Sports 0
Hornchurch 5 Maidstone United 4

Some posts above there is reference to a petition to 'Save the National League Clubs with Support Grants'.  I'd just like to say that I think the petition is complete and utter nonsense and that I hope that it sinks without trace.  Apart from being ill-timed and ill-judged, it is simply factually wrong.

The government has not 'changed the terms of its support', and no-one has 'moved the financial goalposts mid-season'.  To those who were actually paying attention it was clear from the outset that the initial grant was a one-off payment.  Rather, the truth of the situation is revealed in a one-liner in Alison McGovern's letter to Nigel Huddleston --  'football has been beset by a number of poor governance and financial issues for many years, including prior to the pandemic'.  

Precisely, or as Winslow Boy succinctly puts it, 'for far too long they have been paying ludicrous wages'.

When people with their hands out go on about 'government grants', or 'government money', what do they mean ?  Because the fact is, the government doesn't have any money -- all it has is the revenue it can garner in from taxpayers, which is, in essence, everyone on this forum, and everyone like us.  So when chancers are demanding 'government money', what they actually want is my money, and your money, and yes, even SavageBee's money -- I know how much he will enjoy me pointing that out. 

Take Barnet, for instance.  I have no axe to grind with Barnet, but they are owned, and, some would say, mismanaged, by the millionaire Tony Kleanthos.  So why on earth should my taxes, and your taxes, be given to him to help pay for what is, in effect, his hobby ?

It's quite simple --- yes, the situation is easing, but still hundreds of people are dying every day, and thousands more are going to die before we get through this.  And so, while we remain in this position, I want my taxes to go to the people who are making our lives bearable -- pharmacists, research scientists, ambulance drivers, hospital orderlies, even dustbinmen if you like -- people who are making a difference.  I do not want my taxes doled out to profligate, poorly-run football clubs so that they can continue to pay fifth-rate footballers.

So, there it is.  Rant over -- and  I promise not to mention it again.

4 hours ago, agamemnon3 said:

Some posts above there is reference to a petition to 'Save the National League Clubs with Support Grants'.  I'd just like to say that I think the petition is complete and utter nonsense and that I hope that it sinks without trace.  Apart from being ill-timed and ill-judged, it is simply factually wrong.

The government has not 'changed the terms of its support', and no-one has 'moved the financial goalposts mid-season'.  To those who were actually paying attention it was clear from the outset that the initial grant was a one-off payment.  Rather, the truth of the situation is revealed in a one-liner in Alison McGovern's letter to Nigel Huddleston --  'football has been beset by a number of poor governance and financial issues for many years, including prior to the pandemic'.  

Precisely, or as Winslow Boy succinctly puts it, 'for far too long they have been paying ludicrous wages'.

When people with their hands out go on about 'government grants', or 'government money', what do they mean ?  Because the fact is, the government doesn't have any money -- all it has is the revenue it can garner in from taxpayers, which is, in essence, everyone on this forum, and everyone like us.  So when chancers are demanding 'government money', what they actually want is my money, and your money, and yes, even SavageBee's money -- I know how much he will enjoy me pointing that out. 

Take Barnet, for instance.  I have no axe to grind with Barnet, but they are owned, and, some would say, mismanaged, by the millionaire Tony Kleanthos.  So why on earth should my taxes, and your taxes, be given to him to help pay for what is, in effect, his hobby ?

It's quite simple --- yes, the situation is easing, but still hundreds of people are dying every day, and thousands more are going to die before we get through this.  And so, while we remain in this position, I want my taxes to go to the people who are making our lives bearable -- pharmacists, research scientists, ambulance drivers, hospital orderlies, even dustbinmen if you like -- people who are making a difference.  I do not want my taxes doled out to profligate, poorly-run football clubs so that they can continue to pay fifth-rate footballers.

So, there it is.  Rant over -- and  I promise not to mention it again.

Nail. Head. 

The FA Trophy Quarter Final draw, former SSML Club Haringey Borough must be really kicking themselves mustn't they being 2-0 ahead at Oxford City in the Fourth Round and a home draw with Peterborough Sports in the last sixteen, they would have been looking forward to a trip to Notts County:

Billede

4 hours ago, Rhodes said:

The FA Trophy Quarter Final draw, former SSML Club Haringey Borough must be really kicking themselves mustn't they being 2-0 ahead at Oxford City in the Fourth Round and a home draw with Peterborough Sports in the last sixteen, they would have been looking forward to a trip to Notts County:

Billede

Apparently Chesterfield were, ''forced'', out of the FA Trophy.

They knew the Rules and broke them.

https://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/sport/football/chesterfield-manager-james-rowe-shocked-spireites-forced-withdraw-fa-trophy-3128236

Here's a surprise folks, National League North Chorley have voted to 'remain committed to fulfilling the 2020/21 season and have voted accordingly for a continuation of the league'. The Club made history in the FA Cup this season reaching the Fourth Round with the Derby and Wolves ties televised, what with substantial prize money they must have 'filthy lucre' coming out of their ears unlike other National League North and South Club's. I mentioned on another thread in October that the Club were very fortunate to receive a bye into the First Round proper due to Macclesfield Town's sad demise:

Having carefully considered all options available, at this time we can confirm that Chorley FC remain committed to fulfilling the 2020/21 season and have voted accordingly for a continuation of the league.

We recognise that the current solutions on offer do not meet with the needs of all clubs and we fully respect any decision taken by other clubs that they feel are in their best interests. Likewise, we would ask other clubs to respect our decision.

We remain hopeful that a common way forwards can still be achieved that will allow all teams to play on & conclude the current season.

Board Statement: NL Resolution | Chorley FC

An article from the Bucks Herald entitled 'What should become of the Steps 3-6 seasons - Reporters from across the UK have their say', there are some interesting and very scathing comments:

OPINION: What should become of the Steps 3-6 seasons? Reporters from across the UK have their say | Bucks Herald

Null and void, what is the alternative? The FA will take the easy way out after letting things get to this stage with their total lack of support and financial backing for clubs at these levels. Duncan Browne (Boston Standard)

Edited by Rhodes

Extend the season to June.

If Clubs can be back up and playing by mid March then they can fulfill all of their League games.

As restrictions are eased, Clubs can begin to earn revenue through bar takings, refreshments and at the turnstile.

We are getting close to a cut off point and I believe a decision one way or an other is imminent. 

4 hours ago, petethegreek said:

Extend the season to June.

If Clubs can be back up and playing by mid March then they can fulfill all of their League games.

As restrictions are eased, Clubs can begin to earn revenue through bar takings, refreshments and at the turnstile.

We are getting close to a cut off point and I believe a decision one way or an other is imminent. 

I don’t think even what you lay out is possible, you’d have to lose no hands to water logging in March and April, which is doubtful. I doubt the tier system will be at a stage that allows any or all clubs to play, there will be some clubs who can’t play in June also, if sport is up and running that means cricket will be. 

33 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I don’t think even what you lay out is possible, you’d have to lose no hands to water logging in March and April, which is doubtful. I doubt the tier system will be at a stage that allows any or all clubs to play, there will be some clubs who can’t play in June also, if sport is up and running that means cricket will be. 

As I mention in my last sentence, I think we are just about on the limit regarding a time line to finish the season.

My guess is it is 60-40 the League program will be null and void.