Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Lewes v Enfield Town

littlehampton

On 11/09/2021 at 16:09, 4wembleyfinals said:

Not really surprised OT since I didn't think it would take long for an apposing manger to work out AL's long ball strategy. Now it's up to him to start the fight back in the dressing room with a different plan.

Perhaps we are going to be surprised!!!!!

Perhaps unsurprisingly you choose to comment on this thread when we are 0-3 down 4WF, after no comments at all on the threads of the previous 4 or 5 games where we've played reasonably well, and had good results. It's a shame that you can't get past your fairly obvious anti-Leese agenda, as it's pretty clear to me that you're knowledgeable about football, and when you do express opinions about tactics, formations, players etc. they're usually bang on the money.

In my view, there's a lot to be said for supporting the manager, even if you don't completely agree with their style (and I don't entirely myself) - life's too short to spend constantly wanting to be proven correct, waiting for a bad result and then making the same point over and over again. Step back, approach each game with an open mind and support the team - we might end up having a bad run, a bad season or whatever, but you should definitely enjoy the times we do play well, or really what's the point?

54 minutes ago, Barney said:

Perhaps unsurprisingly you choose to comment on this thread when we are 0-3 down 4WF, after no comments at all on the threads of the previous 4 or 5 games where we've played reasonably well, and had good results. It's a shame that you can't get past your fairly obvious anti-Leese agenda, as it's pretty clear to me that you're knowledgeable about football, and when you do express opinions about tactics, formations, players etc. they're usually bang on the money.

In my view, there's a lot to be said for supporting the manager, even if you don't completely agree with their style (and I don't entirely myself) - life's too short to spend constantly wanting to be proven correct, waiting for a bad result and then making the same point over and over again. Step back, approach each game with an open mind and support the team - we might end up having a bad run, a bad season or whatever, but you should definitely enjoy the times we do play well, or really what's the point?

surely you cant give 100% support  if you dont agree 100% with his style ?

28 minutes ago, old towner said:

surely you cant give 100% support  if you dont agree 100% with his style ?

Speaking personally, I can give 100% support to the team - being an Enfield Town fan, I have always fully supported the side irrespective of who is manager.

Edit to add: perhaps I should have said "backing the manager", rather than "supporting" - ultimately AL is in charge, and I want Town to do well, so by extension I want AL to be successful and win games. I'm relatively time poor, and can't commit any time to the club as a volunteer, so as such, I trust the board to make decisions in the best interests of the club, including managerial appointments.

Edited by Barney

I do try to be objective, Barney, but my opinions, and they are only opinions, are based on what I observe from the past couple of games. It is quite clear that AL continues to build his teams on a long  ball strategy. Perhaps he truly believes that this is the best way to survive in this league. Which one has to admit so far has worked but leave it hard for us to proceed further. 

However, allowing for restrictive finances etc of which, we are all aware, I believe he has within the squad players who are be capable of adapting to another plan when required. But it never seems to happen.

On the other hand, in the last cup tie, following our second goal, Dereham's manager made a simple switch. He move his left winger, probably the best technical player on the pitch, inside. This led to our left followed him leaving the left field open for an opposition player to run into.  Where did their goal come from??   As a consequence, in the last 10 minutes we were in a state of panic!!.

Finally I have always believed it is right to get behind the team what ever happens.  As for getting behind the manager is concerned I have always adopted the great Len Shackleton's philosophy which was " I always do because it's the best place to be so you can see what he's up to".

Ps. I appreciate your comment, re "your time available" in your latest post. I too am not able to support the club, due to age and physicality, but do in other ways when required. So no need to reproach yourself..

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

I wasn't at the Carshalton or Lewes games but looking purely at the highlights on YouTube, it seems to me that 3 of the 4 goals we scored against Carshalton were down to their sloppy defending, and 3 of the 4 goals we conceded against Lewes were down to our sloppy defending (the free kick Lewes scored you just have to stand back and applaud, it was a terrific goal). Just goes to show that it is all about the defence. The meanest defence in the league usually wins that league.

We defended well against both Brightlingsea and Cheshunt (games I did get to see) and I hope we do the same against Haringey tonight. I agree with Lovely Stuff's earlier post - it is important that we do bounce back tonight and if we do get a decent result, none of us should complain about the start to the season. With the recent addition of Della-Verde, we have a strong-looking squad that should be more than capable of challenging for the play-offs. Credit for that should go to the manager - he brings the players in.

Edited by Benjrider10
typo

42 minutes ago, old towner said:

i also want us to win and be up the top ............ but only keeping Mo till xmas  !!!!! why ? and also we need another 1 or 2 proven goal scorers 

OT, how do you propose we keep Mo for longer? Its entirely possible he could leave right now if the right offer were to come along. As we have discussed on the forum before, no player who could possibly land a pro contract is going to sign a contract at ETFC if it effectively prices them out of a move up the pyramid. So lets enjoy Mo while we have him, and as you say, unearth a couple more goal-scorers while we're at it.

9 hours ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

I do try to be objective, Barney, but my opinions, and they are only opinions, are based on what I observe from the past couple of games. It is quite clear that AL continues to build his teams on a long  ball strategy. Perhaps he truly believes that this is the best way to survive in this league. Which one has to admit so far has worked but leave it hard for us to proceed further. 

However, allowing for restrictive finances etc of which, we are all aware, I believe he has within the squad players who are be capable of adapting to another plan when required. But it never seems to happen.

On the other hand, in the last cup tie, following our second goal, Dereham's manager made a simple switch. He move his left winger, probably the best technical player on the pitch, inside. This led to our left followed him leaving the left field open for an opposition player to run into.  Where did their goal come from??   As a consequence, in the last 10 minutes we were in a state of panic!!.

Finally I have always believed it is right to get behind the team what ever happens.  As for getting behind the manager is concerned I have always adopted the great Len Shackleton's philosophy which was " I always do because it's the best place to be so you can see what he's up to".

Ps. I appreciate your comment, re "your time available" in your latest post. I too am not able to support the club, due to age and physicality, but do in other ways when required. So no need to reproach yourself..

I think what Barney is saying is you obviously have an agenda against the manager and it seems like you can't wait for us to lose so you can come on here and post how poor the manager is and how he's been worked out!

Why had you not posted anything after the first few games of the season? I will answer that for you.....it doesn't fit your agenda. It seems you would rather see the team lose so you can come on here and say 'I told you so'

Anyway another good win tonight so I'm sure you'll 'disappear' again anyway

Mr Observer, why didn't I attend the first few matches is because I am in my mid-80's and at times I find it hard, health wise, to attend all matches although I have a season ticket. Also as I explained previously I can't give views on that which I haven't seen.

A concept which you may find hard to understand from your moronic outburst as to  what you believe to be my "agenda". But then I only hope when you get to my age you will understand. Especially as I have supported Enfield/Enfield Town since 1947.

So far as tonight is concerned I'm glad you enjoyed it. Although I was again absent I was thrilled with the result. If you want a reason for my missing the game it is because I tend, at my age, not to drive far in the dark.

Anyway I don't know why I have to explain my every move to you but I thought my reply would help you to calm down. You sound terrible distraught what are you like when we don't win. Ease up before your heart attack happens before mine!!!!!! 

By the way Barney and I were having a reasonable exchange of views in a respectful manner, as is usual on this forum, and as such I would be surprised if he concurs with the manner of your post.

So good night to you and don't forget to take your diazepam.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Great result to wake up to! 4 wins, a draw and a loss from our first 6 games, 5 of those 6 teams in the top half of the league, and another clean sheet! We'd all have happily settled for that at the start of the season!  Roll on the the next round of the Cup ?

Can somebody who saw last night's match give those of us who couldn't attend a rundown please?!

1 hour ago, Benjrider10 said:

Great result to wake up to! 4 wins, a draw and a loss from our first 6 games, 5 of those 6 teams in the top half of the league, and another clean sheet! We'd all have happily settled for that at the start of the season!  Roll on the the next round of the Cup ?

Can somebody who saw last night's match give those of us who couldn't attend a rundown please?!

Quite an even first half.........Nathan making a couple of one on one saves to keep Boro out.   We did seem to struggle in the first 45 getting out of our half and there are still occasions when we have trouble holding the ball and giving it up way too easily.   However, we got stronger as the half went on and game finished 0 0 at the half with both teams looking dangerous in the box and HB probably looking slightly the stronger.     The other thing we need to address is ball retention.  A couple of times our midfield lose possession and then it's backs to the wall stuff and you can see why sometimes we concede goals in bad patches.

2nd half we came out with a bit more purpose.   Mo looked at spritely as ever.......we were unlucky not to take the lead from probably a 30yd free kick from Chapell with the ball looking like it hit the bar and then bounced back out with the keeper beaten.   Soon after Mo hit the far post with a driven shot which again bounced out to safety.    Sam worked tirelessly all night, as did Adam, and Sam was probably quite unlucky to come off late on.   However our pressure finally told in added time when there was confusion from a corner and Lewis managed to stab it home from the 6yd box.

Boro will probably feel hard done by not to at least get a point as in the 2nd half they missed 2 very good chances with headers but their finishing was off.     The atmosphere was good all night and overall Town will be very happy with the 3 points against a tough local opponent.   Hopefully we can build on this performance with a Cup win at the weekend.

a couple of points i think djwilf you may have missed ,,, i think twice there forward cleared the ball for us ,over the bar or wide when it was an open goal and as per normal , also how bad the ref was .How many times did there No 7 foul and get away with it every time , and yes we were unlucky with one free kick hitting the bar !!! and Mos shot going wide .

im not 100% sure on adam yet  only time will tell

any way looking forward to saturday  ... as i said before we need to be 200%on sayurday could be our bananna skin

I don't think the ref was that bad.........I've seen much worse and agreed their finishing was not great otherwise we could easily have conceded quite a few.     A few questionable decisions yes but have to say it's always easier when you're sat in the stand and not in the heat of the game .......and I say this as someone who refereed for 20 yrs ............it's always easier when you're watching.   Think the ones that frustrate every football fan is when the defender waits for contact and then goes over so easily.....their 6 did this last night and they go over like they've been hit by a wrecking ball, yet they've just felt contact and gone down easily as it's much easier than losing the ball in their own 3rd.

Thanks DJW for your exceptionally balanced report. Hope to read more of the same for the times when I cannot attend. 

Along with you and many others OT I am looking forward to Saturday. Also as you say we must not under estimate Hadley. Not only to progress further in the competition but to ensure we receive more much needed revenue.

30 minutes ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

Thanks DJW for your exceptionally balanced report. Hope to read more of the same for the times when I cannot attend. 

Along with you and many others OT I am looking forward to Saturday. Also as you say we must not under estimate Hadley. Not only to progress further in the competition but to ensure we receive more much needed revenue.

lets hope we ca pick up a few grand in this years cup  not being too greedy i think a nice semi final would be nice  to be played at white hart lane    (spurs not haringay b )?

On 15/09/2021 at 10:39, djwilf said:

I don't think the ref was that bad.........I've seen much worse and agreed their finishing was not great otherwise we could easily have conceded quite a few.     A few questionable decisions yes but have to say it's always easier when you're sat in the stand and not in the heat of the game .......and I say this as someone who refereed for 20 yrs ............it's always easier when you're watching.   Think the ones that frustrate every football fan is when the defender waits for contact and then goes over so easily.....their 6 did this last night and they go over like they've been hit by a wrecking ball, yet they've just felt contact and gone down easily as it's much easier than losing the ball in their own 3rd.

Defenders do it. Attackers do it. They drink too much falling down water.