Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Squad for season 2023/4

39 minutes ago, Curtis said:

OK, I’ll throw a guess in too….

Eddie Beach from Chelsea, and a Wales U21, was at Chelmsford for the second half of last season.

Being that Eddie Beach is only 19 still learning and plays locally at Chelsea I'd say that he's possibly a better guess than Jack Bycroft.

The only doubt is that, according to Chelmsford, his current contract runs until 2025 which of course could be in the process of being extended.

Edited by Reading Rebel

Myles Roberts would fit the bill.

Goalkeeper Myles Roberts has been a Hornet since January 2020, when he moved to Hertfordshire from Reading.

That September he linked up with Wingate & Finchley of the Isthmian Premier Division on a short-term youth loan, before moving to National League South side Concord Rangers for the 2021/22 season.

Roberts stayed in the National League South during 2022/23 - this time establishing himself as a regular at Welling United, and going on to claim the Manager’s Player of the Year award - before he returned to Watford in April 2023 and featured on the bench for the Sky Bet Championship clash away at Coventry City.

16 hours ago, GlenSTFC said:

Myles Roberts would fit the bill.

Goalkeeper Myles Roberts has been a Hornet since January 2020, when he moved to Hertfordshire from Reading.

That September he linked up with Wingate & Finchley of the Isthmian Premier Division on a short-term youth loan, before moving to National League South side Concord Rangers for the 2021/22 season.

Roberts stayed in the National League South during 2022/23 - this time establishing himself as a regular at Welling United, and going on to claim the Manager’s Player of the Year award - before he returned to Watford in April 2023 and featured on the bench for the Sky Bet Championship clash away at Coventry City.

Another good shout for our mystery keeper.

Announced on twitter that he's just signed a new contract with Watford.

Edited by Reading Rebel

4 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

I’ve got a feeling there may be 1 or 2 more signings. 

What positions do you think we're a light in or is it just numbers wise?

With the back up of the A23 academy I think Scott will be happy with a squad of 18.

Edited by Reading Rebel

Definitely another forward (possibly Ashton) and any other ‘nuggets’ that filter down from higher who will soon become available.

5 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

What positions do you think we're a light in or is it just numbers wise?

With the back up of the A23 academy I think Scott will be happy with a squad of 18.

Remember 2 of that 18 are A23 players so we only currently have 16 ‘seniors’.

56 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

Definitely another forward (possibly Ashton) and any other ‘nuggets’ that filter down from higher who will soon become available.

Remember 2 of that 18 are A23 players so we only currently have 16 ‘seniors’.

Still think its enough with A23 players as back up.

If we get an injury crisis we could always go into the loan market.

Scott wanted 4 strikers and according the player list we have 4 strikers.

Edited by Reading Rebel

3 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Still think its enough with A23 players as back up.

If we get an injury crisis we could always go into the loan market.

Scott wanted 4 strikers and according the player list we have 4 strikers.

I thought Abisogun was a winger and he certainly played that position for Bracknell, so not sure why he’s listed as a striker, so for me we have 3 actual strikers.

21 hours ago, GlenSTFC said:

I thought Abisogun was a winger and he certainly played that position for Bracknell, so not sure why he’s listed as a striker, so for me we have 3 actual strikers.

Agree GlenSTFC, and out of those three, one of them plays more like a link man between midfield and attack so for me we really only have 2 strikers and both of them are novices at this level. Don't get me wrong I'm not slagging off Scott's recruitment policy. To me the squad looks ok to go into the summer/autumn months with.Nathan Minhas signing was the right call at this time for our team this season. We've just got to hope he can live up to the expectations we have on him.

We look like we have goals in the team from across all departments, which is just as well as we will need them.

It's a good thing we have a lot of friendlies because I think it will take a good while to see what our best eleven is. There is grounds for optimism with this new look Slough squad but when you look at the strength of the National League South this season I can't help but feel that results wise we could be in for a rocky road if our team doesn't fly out the traps and get a few points on the board early.    

22 hours ago, 3spirit said:

Agree GlenSTFC, and out of those three, one of them plays more like a link man between midfield and attack so for me we really only have 2 strikers and both of them are novices at this level. Don't get me wrong I'm not slagging off Scott's recruitment policy. To me the squad looks ok to go into the summer/autumn months with.Nathan Minhas signing was the right call at this time for our team this season. We've just got to hope he can live up to the expectations we have on him.

We look like we have goals in the team from across all departments, which is just as well as we will need them.

It's a good thing we have a lot of friendlies because I think it will take a good while to see what our best eleven is. There is grounds for optimism with this new look Slough squad but when you look at the strength of the National League South this season I can't help but feel that results wise we could be in for a rocky road if our team doesn't fly out the traps and get a few points on the board early.    

Agree with most of what you say 3spirit.

We only really have two out and out strikers. Abisogun is a wide player/winger and Elliott Benyon is really a link up man who will get the occasional goal.

Nathan Minhas will only be the right call if he adapts to this level and scores his fair share of goals.

If like last season we have to rely on our midfield and defenders to score most of our goals we are in for another season of struggling against relegation. 

Edited by Reading Rebel