Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Squad for season 2023/4

Matt Hall has joined Hanwell Town. Just leaves Bush, Owen, Walsh, Benyon and Obi from last seasons squad. Can only seeing 1 or 2 staying although wouldn’t be surprised if they all move on. Aside from Giles, the CM and the on loan goalkeeper we can’t look to sign anymore until we know the future of these 5 players. We do need at least one more striker and another defender.

1 hour ago, GlenSTFC said:

Matt Hall has joined Hanwell Town. Just leaves Bush, Owen, Walsh, Benyon and Obi from last seasons squad. Can only seeing 1 or 2 staying although wouldn’t be surprised if they all move on. Aside from Giles, the CM and the on loan goalkeeper we can’t look to sign anymore until we know the future of these 5 players. We do need at least one more striker and another defender.

With pre season starting in just under 4 weeks I'd say we need answers from these players very soon so Scott can decide what other players we need to bring in for the squad.

At the moment we have 12  players (that includes next weeks signing) so I think we need a minimum 4 players which will give us 16 plus the two young lads from A23 which will give us a squad of 18. 

At this time last season we only had 10 retained players, and then:

1. North & Dobson were signed on 5th & 6th June

2. Kuhl, Wells, Benyon, Goddard, Hollis & Harris were signed on 21st June

It looks like we have a good core of players announced so far, but I’m now expecting a lull for a few weeks & then possibly the announcement of a few season long loans.

8 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

With pre season starting in just under 4 weeks I'd say we need answers from these players very soon so Scott can decide what other players we need to bring in for the squad.

At the moment we have 12  players (that includes next weeks signing) so I think we need a minimum 4 players which will give us 16 plus the two young lads from A23 which will give us a squad of 18. 

Can you not even count your own list correctly!!! Including Giles we have 14 players so far. Add the on loan goalkeeper plus hopefully this sought after CM that’s 16. We’re awaiting answers from 5 players from last seasons squad and yes hopefully Scott has given them a deadline otherwise it may hinder us signing any more. Although I think it’s likely now we’ll wait until pre season starts to then look at some trialists and possibly other long term loan deals.

Elliott Romain has been released by Ebbsfleet, his contract expires at the end of June.

He didn’t get much playing time at Ebbsfleet last season, but went on loan to Hemel Hempstead for a month in December and scored 3 goals in 4 starts.

Could he be a 20 goal a season striker at Step 2 if he was a regular starter? Is he likely to be looking for a National League salary many suspect Ebbsfleet have been paying their players? Is he likely to be confident enough about his ability to accept a Step 2 salary with a good goal bonus?

23 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

Can you not even count your own list correctly!!! Including Giles we have 14 players so far. Add the on loan goalkeeper plus hopefully this sought after CM that’s 16. We’re awaiting answers from 5 players from last seasons squad and yes hopefully Scott has given them a deadline otherwise it may hinder us signing any more. Although I think it’s likely now we’ll wait until pre season starts to then look at some trialists and possibly other long term loan deals.

Glen, you’re correct. We have 15 players that have agreed now and the loan keeper will be sorted during pre season, so that’ll be minimum 16.

We have a squad of 25 players with us for the first day of pre-season so I’m in no rush with signing players as of yet. That includes Ogo, Tyrese, Elliot & Walshy. The door is open for them to come back in and earn a deal, so there’s no answer to give me.

With the other 6-7 players to make 25, people like Eitel Goueth will be returning to training with us as he’s someone I really believe can do well, but yet again it’s all ifs, buts and maybes.

I feel like we’ve done plenty of business in comparison to many other clubs so I’m happy with where we are at.

If any other squad has all of their business done by the 4th June then I’m yet to see it! We’ll see who becomes available during pre-season with players trialing at a higher level and possibly not being rewarded with a deal, and also which loans are out there too.

To have 15 players agreed already, I’m more than happy with where we are at. If we were to agree to other deals at this stage of the summer and spend all of the budget, I don’t want to then turn around to someone in a few weeks time that we have already agreed a deal with and apologise for having to let them go and replace them with somebody else before they’ve even started. It’s not how I would want to be treated. I also won’t rush into anything that doesn’t feel right unless someone becomes available that I can’t say no to!

22 minutes ago, Scott Davies said:

Glen, you’re correct. We have 15 players that have agreed now and the loan keeper will be sorted during pre season, so that’ll be minimum 16.

We have a squad of 25 players with us for the first day of pre-season so I’m in no rush with signing players as of yet. That includes Ogo, Tyrese, Elliot & Walshy. The door is open for them to come back in and earn a deal, so there’s no answer to give me.

With the other 6-7 players to make 25, people like Eitel Goueth will be returning to training with us as he’s someone I really believe can do well, but yet again it’s all ifs, buts and maybes.

I feel like we’ve done plenty of business in comparison to many other clubs so I’m happy with where we are at.

If any other squad has all of their business done by the 4th June then I’m yet to see it! We’ll see who becomes available during pre-season with players trialing at a higher level and possibly not being rewarded with a deal, and also which loans are out there too.

To have 15 players agreed already, I’m more than happy with where we are at. If we were to agree to other deals at this stage of the summer and spend all of the budget, I don’t want to then turn around to someone in a few weeks time that we have already agreed a deal with and apologise for having to let them go and replace them with somebody else before they’ve even started. It’s not how I would want to be treated. I also won’t rush into anything that doesn’t feel right unless someone becomes available that I can’t say no to!

Scott does that mean that CM has agreed to sign then?

1 hour ago, GlenSTFC said:

Glen, I didn't initially add the two young lads from A23 into my numbers because I'm sure they will be introduced to senior football sparingly but as you can plainly see I've added them in at the end to make the squad of 18. 👍

Edited by Reading Rebel

4 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Glen, I didn't initially add the two young lads from A23 into my numbers because I'm sure they will be introduced to senior football sparingly but as you can plainly see I've added them in at the end to make the squad of 18. 👍

But these 2 youngsters have already signed for the first team so they should be included like the other new signings? 

20 hours ago, Curtis said:

I’ve just spotted that Chelsea loan out their academy goalkeepers to non league clubs & one was at Chelmsford and another at Havant for the second half of last season.

Both look like they would be good loan signings at our level.

Presumably we want a keeper on a season long loan with no clauses in the loan deal of returning to his parent club otherwise we'll be looking for several keepers throughout the season.

Edited by Reading Rebel

33 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Presumably we want a keeper on a season long loan with no clauses in the loan deal of returning to his parent club otherwise we'll be looking for several keepers throughout the season.

I doubt we’ll be able to dictate terms to a Premier League or Championship club especially when they’re giving their goalkeeper to us for free!!! Hopefully there won’t be any need for a quick recall as they’re obviously not likely to feature in their clubs 1st team so shouldn’t be an issue. Looking forward to seeing the calibre of goalkeepers on trial as I’m sure we’ll be giving a run out to at least 3.

9 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

I doubt we’ll be able to dictate terms to a Premier League or Championship club especially when they’re giving their goalkeeper to us for free!!! Hopefully there won’t be any need for a quick recall as they’re obviously not likely to feature in their clubs 1st team so shouldn’t be an issue. Looking forward to seeing the calibre of goalkeepers on trial as I’m sure we’ll be giving a run out to at least 3.

Lets hope so because the last thing we want is to keep changing keepers.